What is the standard tip for the bartender in the D lounge?

On 1/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, retiredgram said:

$1 per drink.  We like to tip as we get our drinks, because you don't know if the server will be there the end of cruise and you might not have the same one each evening.

My sentiments too.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:28 AM, GTO-Girl said:

We like to tip a dollar a drink as we go just in case they change out bar tenders during the week.

Same here, also at any of the bars where we get our diamond drinks. 

Don’t they all share the tips anyway? If you tip nightly or the last night, would it matter? Maybe I misunderstood the guy but I thought one of our waiters said they were required to turn in any tips to share equally, or is this something that doesn’t happen anymore? 

6 hours ago, AmandaKaye79 said:

Don’t they all share the tips anyway? If you tip nightly or the last night, would it matter? Maybe I misunderstood the guy but I thought one of our waiters said they were required to turn in any tips to share equally, or is this something that doesn’t happen anymore? 

Any tip we hand to a bar tender in the Diamond lounge goes right in their own pockets.  Now whether or not each one empties their pockets into a communal tip jar at the end of the night I do not know.

But I do know once we befriend a bar tender and tip with each drink we are taken care of very well...😉😉 

7 hours ago, AmandaKaye79 said:

Not always, but mostly they do.

I've seen bar tenders put tips in their pockets while standing a foot away from the tip jar.

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Any tip we hand to a bar tender in the Diamond lounge goes right in their own pockets.  Now whether or not each one empties their pockets into a communal tip jar at the end of the night I do not know.

But I do know once we befriend a bar tender and tip with each drink we are taken care of very well...😉😉 

In the Radiance CL there is always a tip jar behind the bar.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:51 PM, h20skibum said:

This is our first cruise as a D in the D lounge, so excuse the ignorance, but what is the standard tips for the D lounge

I take the view that our drinks are free with no gratuity added in the DL so $1 cash tip per drink is our way of thanking our servers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, camofwilliamsburg said:

HAve any of you who tip per drink asked for something off the diamond lounge drink menu? This use to happen quite frequently in the past but lately its a NO for anything other than the basic menu drinks.

Sorry have not asked for a drink off menu since my drink of poison is screwdrivers.  Though I do search out the bartenders that will use a premium vodka.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a solo traveler and I like to sit at the bar. I actually meet more people that way. Having said that, I’ll tip the bartender $20.00 at the beginning and I’ll develop a relationship with him/her. If I want to be alone, they let me be. If I want to be outgoing, they help break the ice. Plus they’ll give strong pours and premium alcohol. This cruise shouldn’t matter so much because I Have the premium drink package. 

The next evening, if it’s required, I’ll tip another $20. 

Glenn

On 1/6/2019 at 6:35 PM, cb at sea said:

Tipping on cruises is generally done on the last night....you aren't supposed to have to carry cash around with you.  But, if you want to tip "as you go", $1 per order is fine.  Not "per drink", so order for both of you .

Gee, really how Old are you, I 'm struggling to remember how many year ago tipping on the last night went out and i'm not a young man anymore.

more appropriately is tip per drink $1 or $2 much fairer to the server that may b, not like the old day when you e getting you your drink.  i have seen diamond lounges where the same person is there full cruise and where they change it up, could count on the same server full cruise like the old days when the lounge was much less crowded. Now the standard is tip per drink. JMHO

13 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Gee, really how Old are you, I 'm struggling to remember how many year ago tipping on the last night went out and i'm not a young man anymore.

more appropriately is tip per drink $1 or $2 much fairer to the server that may b, not like the old day when you e getting you your drink.  i have seen diamond lounges where the same person is there full cruise and where they change it up, could count on the same server full cruise like the old days when the lounge was much less crowded. Now the standard is tip per drink. JMHO

I agree with most of what you say, but being on the older side myself, and having cruises for 45 years, AND that it takes just as much labor per drink as it ever did, $1 per drink in the DL, CL, or a bar with 3 drinks loaded on the seapass cards is appropriate to me.

In the DL/CL I tip mid-week and at the end.

Edited by pcur

We tip at least a $1 a drink but on most occasions more and always tip before we leave for dinner that evening.  Diamond lounge we seem to have a high turn over rate of servers and don't always have the same one, not for sure why that is. In the Suite Lounge we tend to have the same server all week and build up a rapport with them usually getting our Manhattans shortly after they see us come in. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, trivia addict said:

We are veterans of over 30 cruises. Up until recently, we always tipped $1 per drink no matter if it was Diamond lounge or any bar.

Recently, I have felt that on  all of the cruise lines that we travel, service has declined.

We now tip for each drink only if it is a bar that we frequent often,  or if the bartender is exceptionally good.

On our last cruise last month, we were told that RC has decreased the number of staff to same $. that is the reason you have seen service declined. The poor staff are overworked and underpaid. They do their best to accommodate everyone.

7 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I am glad everybody tips so much! 👍😇

Went up to SL after dinner last night.  Sat down to check emails, next thing I know there is a vodka cran sitting in front of me.  I'm certain that was because we regularly tip.

47 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Went up to SL after dinner last night.  Sat down to check emails, next thing I know there is a vodka cran sitting in front of me.  I'm certain that was because we regularly tip.

If that makes you happy! 👍

I like to make my own decisions.... 🙄

Totally hate stuff like that! 👎

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Thanks 1