Cruise Critic Community
ilikewhatisgood

Couple in their low 40s

1 minute ago, Tarwood3 said:

Hi Gary and Ben. Nice "meeting" you! Thank you! Will read both! Long shot but but we have very good friends in Sarasota. Keith and Wayne. A bit older than us 🙂 I thought perhaps you knew them since Sarasota downtown feels very small. Enjoy your cruise! Hopefully weather will improve fast! I'm Flav and better half is Dree 🙂 

I now remember 1 thing I really disliked about Seabourn was the "private" area where you have to pay to access to. I wouldn't expect that in a luxury small ship. One of the reasons to go on a more expensive smaller line for us is the "no-separation" of classes since everyone already paid a premium and since it's such a small ship. Restricting yet another area within an already exclusive small luxury ship feels counter-atmosphere for us and what mass lines do.

I could be wrong. Let me know if that's not accurate... But it seems like a good chunk of deck real estate.

I started to cruise on Crystal when I was 45 - and single -but started in "luxury level " at the age of  35 in the time of ties and tuxedos

Despite the food on Oceania is not bad at all - even very good in the speciality restaurants - the service is far better on Crystal for sure.

You said you are foodies  - also wine lovers ?

The wine list on Oceania is extremely expensive and they require  18 % service charge

despite the wine list on Crystal is not "cheap" there are some good values .

The complimentary wines on Crystal are better as on other lines in the luxury level -

I cannot judge the level of prices on Seabourn as i do receive a 20% discount as Platinum member

Special wines are cheaper on Silversea .

And the bartenders on Crystal are extremey good!

11 minutes ago, vistaman said:

Despite the food on Oceania is not bad at all - even very good in the speciality restaurants - the service is far better on Crystal for sure.

We put Oceania on the back burner until at least 2021 and booked 2 Crystal cruises. We are looking forward to it!

I have been on NCL, Disney,  Celebrity and Viking.  Of course, never go by one person's opinion, but I really didn't care for my Viking cruise.  I am 59, and was probably one of the youngest on an 11 day  Southern Caribbean trip last February.  I had several very nice conversations with other travelers, but definitely felt an age difference throughout the trip.  Service was very good, and Food was very good in the main dining room, but we had a terrible meal in one of the specialty restaurants, and basically were rushed through our meal.  Other than the production show in the evening, very little music except the same classical trio or piano player every day.  No music at the pool (which I know a lot of people like, but in the Caribbean I enjoy a more festive atmosphere) and they had a strange habit of closing the roof over the pool in the afternoon on beautiful sunny days which turned the pool area into a sauna. No problem getting a pool chair, hardly anyone at the pool, or more people sitting in the shaded areas. To be honest, I was bored. There's definitely a lot of reading time! I think they would be a good choice for Europe - I'd appreciate that atmosphere after a long day of touring, but it just didn't work for me on a warm weather winter getaway.  After reading everyone's experiences, I'm really looking forward to trying Crystal.  And I want to go on a cruise with Lee Anne!

On 1/25/2019 at 12:33 PM, ilikewhatisgood said:

Hi Gary and Ben. Nice "meeting" you! Thank you! Will read both! Long shot but but we have very good friends in Sarasota. Keith and Wayne. A bit older than us 🙂 I thought perhaps you knew them since Sarasota downtown feels very small. Enjoy your cruise! Hopefully weather will improve fast! I'm Flav and better half is Dree 🙂 

Hi there! We are home now...my address says Florida but sure doesnt feel like it!! Lol.  No, we don’t know Keith and Wayne... we live east of 75 a couple miles off Clark Rd. 

On 1/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, vistaman said:

I started to cruise on Crystal when I was 45 - and single -but started in "luxury level " at the age of  35 in the time of ties and tuxedos

You said you are foodies  - also wine lovers ?

The wine list on Oceania is extremely expensive and they require  18 % service charge

despite the wine list on Crystal is not "cheap" there are some good values .

The complimentary wines on Crystal are better as on other lines in the luxury level -

I cannot judge the level of prices on Seabourn as i do receive a 20% discount as Platinum member

Special wines are cheaper on Silversea .

And the bartenders on Crystal are extremey good!

Nice to hear about Crystal...we are trying them at the end of the year.  We had heard 2 different points of view on Crystal...one said folks can be snobby and another said people couldn’t have been friendlier...lol...so, not sure what to make of it, but we always like to try things for ourselves regardless of reviews and see if it works or not for whats important to us...

I’ve never met snobby people but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some. I think to some extent age relates to length of cruise. Working age can rarely take the long trips so those tend to be older folks

Not to worry you won’t run across too many snobs.  Most Crystal cruisers are very friendly and will embrace you socially as well as the crew.  After many Crystal cruises we have run across a few who are not happy about anything.  We just move on to the happy people and who are not judgemental.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:56 AM, Tarwood3 said:

Nice to hear about Crystal...we are trying them at the end of the year.  We had heard 2 different points of view on Crystal...one said folks can be snobby and another said people couldn’t have been friendlier...lol...so, not sure what to make of it, but we always like to try things for ourselves regardless of reviews and see if it works or not for whats important to us...

When you sail with 800+ the odds say there will be a few people you may find not to your liking.  On the other hand with 800+people you will likely find many people who you enjoy.  This has been our case on each Crystal Cruise.

My experience is that people don't always see things the same way which is why you might have heard contrasting views.  The key will be what you think.  I can only tell you that we have made life long friends on our Crystal Cruises and many nice people. I hope you have a similar experience.

Keith

We have made many new friends on Crystal over the many years of sailing with this line.  We have visited their homes and they have been delightful guests in our home.  We feel like we have a second family from people we have met on Crystal.

When our friends visit we either cook up a storm or we go to a nice restaurant and have lovely appetizers and drinks in our home not just cheese and crackers and wine.  We really appreciate our friends and neighbors who watch over our home when we are gone on long trips land or sea.

We also share the good times and the sad times with each other...it’s like our extended family and we always have an open door when we are not traveling.  And we love to host  friends who are in transit to their cruise.  That’s what friends are for.  

Absolutly, embrace new people when you cruise and you will be surprised how interesting they are and their backgrounds.  People love to share their stories.

Does anyone know how to private message a member on here or make someone a “favorite” so I can keep in touch? Seems like we used to be able to do these 2 things with the previous version of cruisecritic????

1 hour ago, Tarwood3 said:

Does anyone know how to private message a member on here or make someone a “favorite” so I can keep in touch? Seems like we used to be able to do these 2 things with the previous version of cruisecritic????

I tried and can’t find a way... my email is madu66@yahoo.com 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 2/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, Tarwood3 said:

Hi Tarwood,

Ahhh, another Sarasota resident!  We are in downtown, too, at Condo on the Bay.  The only thing we enjoy more than travel is talking about travel.  If you would like to get together for coffee, please email me at ricki at aol.com.

Ricki

My gf and I are 39 and 42. Last year we did both Oceania and Crystal and loved both. We met a couple on our Crystal cruise last December who both are around 60 and who often come to our hometown on vacation. We've seen them 2 or 3 times in the last two and half months. Also had lunch with another retired lady in California a couple times who was on the cruise as well. We much prefer an older crowd over having young kids run around the ship out of control (I can barely tolerate young kids on airplanes). There are so many people on board you're guaranteed to make a couple good friends, even if it's not with everyone. We enjoyed the crowd on Crystal over that on Celebrity, a younger crowd...didn't care for that line at all, the food was a let down as well. When are you set to do your crystal cruise?

On 2/2/2019 at 1:38 AM, Tarwood3 said:

You can use the messaging function - the option is disabled 

I don’t know if it’s ever been enabled but it hasn’t been for at least the last 5 years 

You used to be able to tag others as friends - but that had little real effect and you certainly couldn’t message them 

10 hours ago, aardogfsu said:

When are you set to do your crystal cruise?

December 14 2019 San Juan to Miami and we also booked December 2 2020, both on Serenity.

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

You can use the messaging function - the option is disabled  

That should have actually read “you can’t” ie it’s disabled