SLEEP ARRANGEMENTS FOR 3.5 yr old

Arwen

Hi All!

We are planning on taking a family cruise to Alaska.  Our granddaughter is 3.5 yrs old.  Her mom and dad have not cruised before and we are 

trying to help them figure out the best sleeping arrangement for DD.  

DD is a fairly tall 3.5 yr old and her parents have now transitioned to a junior bed for her. 

Hubby found an inflatable junior bed on Amazon that is recommended for travel.  It has good reviews, but wonder if that is the

best option?  I worry about it getting holes and deflating..:-((  This would be the option if the stateroom does not have a sofa/pull out, but we worry

there would not be enough room.  

Do all categories of staterooms have dividing curtains?  That is really necessary for their privacy and so she can sleep easily.  So only a balcony or mini-suite should be booked?

Grandpa thinks that a choice of a mini-suite would be the best option and then getting rails for the couch/bed.  

Thank you all so much in advance.  I want to hear all of your suggestions.  We are trying to keep the cost reasonable but also to make sure that

"Eva" is going to sleep okay, too.

You cannot simply book a cabin for two and bring along a toddler. You must book a cabin with sleeping accommodations for three, either a sofa bed (deluxe balcony or mini suite) or upper berth (inside, oceanview or standard balcony). Even an infant in arms counts as a full passenger. So no point at all in worrying about bringing a bed for your granddaughter.  

I don't believe that on Princess ships there are curtains separating the living area from the sleeping area in any balcony cabin or mini-suite. Possibly in certain full suites only. Others have reported bringing magnetic hooks to attach to the ceiling to create some sort of room divider, perhaps with a cloth shower curtain.

Edited by fishywood

I know that she is a "big girl" and sleeps in a big girl bed, but you may want to consider a pack'n'play if she is one to fall out of bed. 

Depending on the ship, if the parents are in a mini-suite, they may have a curtain. The Royal and Regal have curtains that separate the living area from the sleeping area. 

With that said, the sleeping area is next to the balcony, so they will want to make sure that there is a way that Eva cannot open the door.

The mattress on the sleeper sofa ends up being fairly low, so rails may not need to be considered.

Also, if she is fully potty trained, she can spend time in the Kid's Area with the counselors. If she is social, she may love it!

Sofa Bed. Get pool noodles or rolled up towels for under the edges. No problem.  Just make sure it’s a room with a pullout. 

I have have yet to be on a ship that has an effective curtain divider. Our son has been on 14 cruises on several lines.  NCL had the best in their mini suite. But even that was not great. 

Another good option in lieu of bedrails is a product called The Shrunks. Check it out. 

Hi Arwen!  I would suggest you book a Deluxe Balcony or a Minisuite.  

My son was 3 1/2 on his first Princess cruise.  We booked a regular balcony cabin with an upper bunk because a minisuite was just too expensive for us at the time.  Our room steward provided us with a roll away bed instead of pulling down the upper bunk due to his age.  The roll away took up way too much space in the cabin so we chose to let him sleep in bed with us for the week.  Not ideal, but it was the best option for the size of the cabin. 

If you decide to book a regular balcony with the upper bed/bunk you could ask the steward to put the mattress from the upper bunk on the floor for your granddaughter to sleep on.  It might be tight as far as floor space but would probably be the easiest option.  Or one parent could sleep in the upper bunk and the other with the child in the regular bed, not ideal but just a thought. 

Also Princess has the best kids clubs!!!  Hopefully your granddaughter will be able to spend some time there.  My once 3 1/2 year old is now 13 and really looking forward to the teen club, although I'm not sure I'm ready for that.  :classic_blink: 

Happy cruising!!!

We brought our 2 kids, their spouses and our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter on an Alaskan cruise last summer.  We booked mini-suites for all of us (Ruby Princess) with a 3rd bed for GD but Mom knew she wasn't going to use it because she still fell out of bed.  Instead our daughter brought the same type of blow up matress GD was accustomed to using at our house and placed in where the coffee table usually is and put the coffee table in the closet.  It was crowded but they still had space to move around and could be placed on its side during the day. GD thought the area was very cozy since she had the open shelves within reach for all her books and toys and a nightlight.  Search for the Hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Travel Bed with Safety Bumpers.

The other recommendation our daughter would make was to get a totally collapsible stroller.  This one weighs 9 pounds, fits into a backpack and fits under an airline seat.  So many people stopped and asked her about it that she should have received a commission from the company!  Search GB Pockit Compact Stroller.

The Royal Princess class of ships has a curtain divider in mini-suites between the main bed and the sitting area.  The other Princess ships do not.

Have a wonderful cruise.  Seeing Alaska (our 3rd time) through the eyes of a 3 1/2 year old was amazing - she still talks about one of the performers on the ship and all the animals she saw.  When we told her before Christmas that Grandma and Grandpa were going on a Caribbean cruise, she looked at her mom and said "I want to go to!"  I'm pretty sure we've created a cruise junky!

When our kids were younger we often had my husband sleep in whatever was provided for the third guest (sofa bed, pull down bed), and the young child and I slept in the bed.  We had the steward push the mattress against the wall so that I was on one side of the kid and the wall was on the other.  It worked great.

• Like 1

In Alaska the Royal Princess is the only ship that will have the Deluxe Balcony cabin with a small sofa bed. On other ships you must book a mini suite or full suite to get a sofa. Certain ships have Window Suites that sell fast. They may be worth looking into. Standard balcony cabins have upper berths that pull down from the ceiling, as do outside view and interiors. Some cabins will accept a roll away, but this does take up space in the cabin. Remember you must select a cabin that is indicated for 3 or 4 passengers and all passengers must be booked and have proper documentation for international travel.

perhaps you could get that inflatable bed and jam it into the closet area - we've done that before with a pack and play and it worked really well.  A few magnetic hooks and a dark queen size sheet from home and we made a very dark and quiet area.  If one of us needed to shower when the kid was in there, we just used the spa showers which are bigger anyways.

Here's a photo from a website where we got the inspiration.  Lots of other good tips on here.  The nice thing about getting a 3rd/4th room is that you can use the upper bunks to store strollers and all the extra stuff you need for a little kiddo.  We found bungee cables and inflatable toys to be invaluable.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/home/cruising-with-little-kids

Also, Alaska is a very popular family destination so I would definitely get going on this booking especially since you need a triple cabins. As said, if you go with the Royal in a deluxe balcony there is a small sofa bed.  We have had one of those child’s inflatable beds with a built up side so they don’t roll out ( I think I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond on line) for grandkids and it is excellent and has lasted well and little ones love it.  The Royal also has some cabins with connecting interior doors, both insides and balconies.

Oh, one more very important piece of advice, after you chose your cabins have them marked DO NOT UPGRADE 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

1 hour ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

Oh, one more very important piece of advice, after you chose your cabins have them marked DO NOT UPGRADE 

That is such a great point!  Sometimes, Princess' version of an upgrade does not actually jive with a your definition.

to OP: I highly recommend booking a deluxe balcony cabin on Royal/Regal Princess if you want a sofa bed for the 3.5 yo. 

Unless, of course, one of the parents is fine with sleeping on the upper pullman bed. Neither of us is (DH being over 6' tall and me being physically unfit to climb up into it).

We transitioned DS to a regular bed at 3 yo and he never fell out. However, on his first cruise at 3.5 yo we accidentally got a handicapped room which had a sofa bed instead of an upper pullman. He was just fine sleeping in it. On his next cruise at 4 he was thrilled to sleep on the upper pullman bed and still loves doing so. DS sleeps very soundly and doesn't fall off the bed.

We've never needed a curtain for any privacy issues, but to each his own. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

this is what the pull down bed from the ceiling looks like in a balcony room if that helps

enhance

however, sometimes it's by the balcony door instead of the wall. In that case, when you are booking the room, you will see a note: Balcony door is blocked when upper berth is in use.

It really isn't if you can duck under it to get to the balcony.

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

however, sometimes it's by the balcony door instead of the wall. In that case, when you are booking the room, you will see a note: Balcony door is blocked when upper berth is in use.

It really isn't if you can duck under it to get to the balcony.

Royal/Regal/Majestic.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Arwen said:

Hi All!

We are planning on taking a family cruise to Alaska.  Our granddaughter is 3.5 yrs old.  Her mom and dad have not cruised before and we are 

trying to help them figure out the best sleeping arrangement for DD.  

DD is a fairly tall 3.5 yr old and her parents have now transitioned to a junior bed for her. 

Hubby found an inflatable junior bed on Amazon that is recommended for travel.  It has good reviews, but wonder if that is the

best option?  I worry about it getting holes and deflating..:-((  This would be the option if the stateroom does not have a sofa/pull out, but we worry

there would not be enough room.  

Do all categories of staterooms have dividing curtains?  That is really necessary for their privacy and so she can sleep easily.  So only a balcony or mini-suite should be booked?

Grandpa thinks that a choice of a mini-suite would be the best option and then getting rails for the couch/bed.  

Thank you all so much in advance.  I want to hear all of your suggestions.  We are trying to keep the cost reasonable but also to make sure that

"Eva" is going to sleep okay, too.

Listen to grandpa and get a mini suite.

We had our three under five grandchildren in a mini suite on the Regal next to ours

Our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter slept in a bed for the first time with pillows placed on the floor next to her bed

She rolled out, never woke up and slept the night on the floor

Rolled out of bed and never woke up_3155

Howard

Edited by hm9912

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, rnff2 said:

Hi Arwen!  I would suggest you book a Deluxe Balcony or a Minisuite.  

My son was 3 1/2 on his first Princess cruise.  We booked a regular balcony cabin with an upper bunk because a minisuite was just too expensive for us at the time.  Our room steward provided us with a roll away bed instead of pulling down the upper bunk due to his age.  The roll away took up way too much space in the cabin so we chose to let him sleep in bed with us for the week.  Not ideal, but it was the best option for the size of the cabin. 

If you decide to book a regular balcony with the upper bed/bunk you could ask the steward to put the mattress from the upper bunk on the floor for your granddaughter to sleep on.  It might be tight as far as floor space but would probably be the easiest option.  Or one parent could sleep in the upper bunk and the other with the child in the regular bed, not ideal but just a thought. 

Also Princess has the best kids clubs!!!  Hopefully your granddaughter will be able to spend some time there.  My once 3 1/2 year old is now 13 and really looking forward to the teen club, although I'm not sure I'm ready for that.  :classic_blink: 

Happy cruising!!!

Thank you for the suggestion of a Deluxe Balcony.  Right now we are working with our TA to get six staterooms booked for our family members.  Our TA said that the mini-suites are in short supply for this cruise.  So knowing about the Deluxe Balcony as another option is helpful.  

3 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Thank you for the suggestion of a Deluxe Balcony.  Right now we are working with our TA to get six staterooms booked for our family members.  Our TA said that the mini-suites are in short supply for this cruise.  So knowing about the Deluxe Balcony as another option is helpful.  

Sorry to have taken so long in getting back to thank all of you Cruise Critic members for the helpful advice!  I have been consumed with getting ready for our big cruise with Princess for the 49 day South America itinerary.  Packing has been stressful but I am almost done, thankfully.  We leave next week.

Right now we have our TA working on booking our staterooms before we leave for our big cruise.  All of your suggestions were considered and it looks like we will go with a mini-suite for our daughter, SIL, and grandchild.  Our second choice would be the deluxe balcony.  Eva's parents likely will take along their own Pack N' Play because that is what "Eva" is used to sleeping in when she stays here with us.  Eva does not take well at all to drastic changes.  So the familiar is what we will go with.  The other option we will consider  is the inflatable toddler bed (Amazon.com)  as suggested by one of the posters.  

Most important for Eva's parents, is for their stateroom to have a curtain/screen and we let our TA know that. 

Again, thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses!

3 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Sorry to have taken so long in getting back to thank all of you Cruise Critic members for the helpful advice!  I have been consumed with getting ready for our big cruise with Princess for the 49 day South America itinerary.  Packing has been stressful but I am almost done, thankfully.  We leave next week.

Right now we have our TA working on booking our staterooms before we leave for our big cruise.  All of your suggestions were considered and it looks like we will go with a mini-suite for our daughter, SIL, and grandchild.  Our second choice would be the deluxe balcony.  Eva's parents likely will take along their own Pack N' Play because that is what "Eva" is used to sleeping in when she stays here with us.  Eva does not take well at all to drastic changes.  So the familiar is what we will go with.  The other option we will consider  is the inflatable toddler bed (Amazon.com)  as suggested by one of the posters.  

Most important for Eva's parents, is for their stateroom to have a curtain/screen and we let our TA know that. 

Again, thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses!

We were on the Royal last summer when our DS had just turned three. We had a mini suite. The sofa bed was great - we kept it as a bed during the day so the room steward didn’t have to bother changing it over. One side was against the wall and on the other side we put the adult pillows on the floor. He is in a toddler bed at home but he didn’t fall out once on the ship. Study the deck plan carefully to make sure that the third bed is a sofa bed and not a pullman.I did take his pillow with me as he hasn’t transitioned to an adult pillow yet. He wet the bed one night as toddlers do and I went to reception at 4am to get spare bedding. They sent a steward who insisted on changing it all for me. The dividing curtain was great. It kept the light out of his part of the room completely. We will back on the Royal in Alaska this summer. In relation to the door I did buy an extra magnetic lock but never used it as the door was so stiff that I could barely open it and he wasn’t tall enough to reach the handle. The kids club is fantastic- he had an absolute ball. He enjoys adult company but by the end of the cruise his preference was to go to the club!!