Cunard VS Celebrity

Stateroom_Sailor

We're eyeballing future reposition cruises, and noticed that Cunard is very reasonable in Australia and Asia, as well as other locations.  How would you compare it to Celebrity?  We've also sailed Holland America, which we enjoyed.  We're in our early 40's, pretty easy going with different types of entertainment, and don't mind ages gaps or mingling with different cultures.  Food, cabin comfort, service, and exotic itineraries, much more important.

Having only been on 1 Celebrity cruise, I would think that Cunard is far superior but i am sure others will disagree. I do find that there is much more to do during the day on Cunard.Food is very subjective but we found Cunard food much better than Celebrity, and I agree destinations at the moment seem much better with Cunard.

Edited by resordanis
Spelling
  • Like 1

We are mid 50's and have done four transatlantic cruises with Cunard (QM2 & QV) and seven cruises with Celebrity.

As with everything, there are pro's and cons on both sides, but for our age Group we would give Celebrity the edge (excuse the pun - given the name of their latest ship !). Entertainment and ambiance is certainly more relaxed, and the atmosphere might perhaps be regarded as less 'starchy' than on Cunard. We did find the QV more than a trifle dull to be honest. 

The Solstice class of ships with Celebrity are excellent, with superb facilities throughout the ship. The buffet is also certainly less crowded than the Kings Court, at least to our experience. In the MDR we would again go for Celebrity, with a better range of menu choices. Regrettably we haven't attained the heights of the Cunard Grills ! 

That said, Cunard's atmosphere of elegance and occasion is always to be enjoyed, particularly on QM2.

A first world problem really - filet mignon or lobster thermidor !

I think it's fair to say that Cunard are far more into formal than Celebrity. Overall, perhaps more like HAL in the old days. We enjoyed it a lot but it is not lively in the evening like Celebrity where on our last cruise there was dance music in the atrium, Cunard had a harpist!

We have not taken a Celebrity cruise in the last few years, mainly because we found the noise and the constant music everywhere not to our liking.

In general....

Celebrity pros      Much better shower rooms! Lovely solarium.

cons   We did not enjoy the suite under the buffet area! Noise as mentioned, and feels crowded

Cunard    pros     Superior food, far less crowded in MDR and better ambience all round.      cons Smaller showers in Brit grade

It is all subjective, but if the price and itinerary are good, Cunard is worth a try.

• Like 1

We much prefer Celebrity. We got off our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse with an excitement to try Celebrity again.

We got off our first Cunard cruise on Qm2 totally disappointed and let down. The expectation was huge the reality was blah. 

Id choose Celebrity over Cunard in a heart beat. I also factor in that Celebrity are far better with special dietary needs which is important to me. 

We are trying Cunard again this year this time Q.V feeling a bit apprehensive but prepared to give Cunard one more go. It was the best date wise and price wise for the itinerary we want to do and we had a decent future cruise credit from Cunard for our complaint. 

We are early 40’s 

We have been on Celebrity Solstice some times now and have enjoyed her a lot.

Cunard better:

Formality

Quality of Speakers

Quality of seats in both theaters ( not sat down)

a true wrapping promenade deck and with teak

QM2 much more stable in rough water

quality of food better in the MDR and buffet ( particularly desserts)

drink prices, particularly in the bar

there is no place like the Commodore Club on QM2

Celebrity ( and we can only speak about Solstice class)

Shows are slightly better

the indoor pool is much nicer

there is lots more of ‚party activities‘ going on during the day

Persian Garden with the panoramic views is much nicer

food in Blu is better than Britannia

greater variety of the speciality restaurants

Equal.

Cabin size, we find the cabins pretty much the same, the shower is nicer in Solstice Class, ( glass doors)

friendliness and competence of the crew and staff

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

We did four Celebrity cruises, all of which we absolutely enjoyed, before our first Cunard cruise last Autumn.

However, Celebrity has got very expensive in Europe in the last couple of years. Also, the incessant loud music in public areas has increased, to the annoyance of many. But the drinks packages, when included in the prices, are well worth it even for moderate drinkers, whereas Cunard drinks prices are very high, and no sensible packages. However, too much "selling" on Celebrity. Also, dress codes have been dumbed down, and even at those new levels are not enforced. If I wanted to eat dinner alongside people in T-shirts, I'd book at Butlin's.

Celebrity buffets are far better organised on S class ships, with a far greater range of options. We felt that Cunard MDR food was better than on Celebrity.

After a while we got used to the more laid back and refined atmosphere of the QE, and have booked cruises on QM2 and QV for 2020. Celebrity will have to drop prices and stop the incessant search for a younger demographic to get us back.

1 hour ago, DaisyDancer said:

I've cruised with Celebrity once but never again. Much prefer Cunard.

Daisy

Just the opposite, we were on Cunard in the so called grills and found the food to be fair to inedible and the atmosphere very stuffy. We just cancelled further cruises with Cunard. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soraya said:

I think it's fair to say that Cunard are far more into formal than Celebrity. Overall, perhaps more like HAL in the old days. We enjoyed it a lot but it is not lively in the evening like Celebrity where on our last cruise there was dance music in the atrium, Cunard had a harpist!

I do have to smile at you comment , "Dance music in the atrium" ... (what ! on a floor the size of a postage stamp )  whilst "Cunard had a harpist". 

You obviously didn't go in search of the Night Club, G32 /Yacht Club ( not forgetting the Queens Room where there are often party nights, once or twice a week )   across the fleet of Cunard and open until the early hours.  Last month  on Queen Victoria I managed to stagger back to my cabin at 3.30 am.  

• Like 1

Hi, 

I honestly like both of these lines. I have sailed with Cunard 18 times and Celebrity eight times. I think the food and service are fairly comparable between these lines, but Cunard definitely has a more formal and traditional atmosphere. If you like Celebrity, I would recommend trying Cunard. 

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Just the opposite, we were on Cunard in the so called grills and found the food to be fair to inedible and the atmosphere very stuffy. We just cancelled further cruises with Cunard. 

I'm currently on the QV in Queen's Grill. The food is good and it's certainly not 'stuffy'. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the comments so far, and realistic expectations.  Cunard sounds like a worthy product, and doesn't necessarily need to be our first choice every time.  We're not thrilled with some of the unusual entertainment being added to Celebrity Edge, and find it "creepy", amateurish, and silly. A harpist or dance music, either would be an improvement!

My main issue with X's upcoming "Revolution" refit of their older fleet, are these potentially narrower cabins, and lack of storage space.  I won't do a 14 day cruise in them, which has me eyeballing alternatives.  At least Celebrity was kind enough to feature a Holland America ship on their TV screen: 

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.42 AM.png

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

That looks about as wide as a Britannia cabin on Cunard, but shorter (less room between the bed & balcony) and less storage (the fridge is where closets are on Cunard).

They might be hiding a larger bathroom among all that but the closet + fridge/cupboard seems about as large as the QM2 Britannia closets.

Edited by Underwatr

Done both

Cunard

better lecturers

more firmal

loved the star show thing (can I recall the proper name)

True Ocean Liner QMIi

Food not much difference

Formality

Ours was a short cruise a spart of a world cruise some WCers seemed to resent us colonials annoying them for a week

Celebrity

More party

Aqua cafe

Cafe al Bacio 

Equal.

Cabins were pretty much the same (Standard Balcony or concierge on Celebrity, a sheltered balcony on Cunard.)

Cunard cost about $50 pp of extra.

9 minutes ago, cruiseyj said:

has anyone been on both lines who have kids? thoughts?

thanks!

Didn’t see many kids, (but again we were a week in a WC so that cold explain it).

however every instinct would say Celebrity would be better for kids.

We have been on both.  If you like British, then you will like Cunard, if you 

like American, then you will like Celebrity.   If you like American and British, like we do, then pick the one that has the ports you want to visit. 

1 minute ago, DWhit said:

We have been on both.  If you like British, then you will like Cunard, if you 

like American, then you will like Celebrity.   If you like American and British, like we do, then pick the one that has the ports you want to visit. 

Yeah itinerary and price trump all else.

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah itinerary and price trump all else.

I agree.  For instance, this isn't an easy itinerary to find on the mass market:

Nov 8, 2020 Queen Elizebeth 13 nights from Singapore, starting at 1,999 US$.

• Jakarta, Java, Indonesia 
  •  Bali, Indonesia 
  •  Darwin, Australia 
  •  Whitsunday Islands, Australia 
  •  Brisbane, Australia

Done both but prefer Cunard. Didn’t like the glitzy decor on Celebrity and the noise rebounding around the much vaunted “Atrium”. Library a joke. Thought the food was fine, likewise cabins. Despite all that we’ve booked one of their smaller ships this summer as it’s a great itinerary.

For us:

Cunard has ships with open and closed observation areas. Good service, food and graciousness.

Celebrity is Vegas at sea. The changes to the Celebrity ships going forward may reduce/eliminate the link to the sea.  If I want Vegas, I will go there.

Depends what people want. There is no right or wrong. 

• Like 1