Where to find info on Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Columbia etc

w8ing2cruz

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Thanks Essiesmom. Not sure why it would be hard to find...

Costa Rica is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/120-costa-rica/

On 1/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure why it would be hard to find...

When I began researching ports for our first Canal transit in 2017, I could not find any Port of Call forum for Costa Rica, despite the great amount of time I spend here on CC.  I finally learned that’s because it’s buried in the Caribbean forum.  It had never occurred to me to look there, since Costa Rica also borders the Pacific (and in fact our port there was on the Pacific Coast). A little bit of CC being geographically challenged. 

OP: there is no Port of Call forum for Nicaragua.  To the extent you find info here on CC, it will be here on this board as CuiserBruce noted. Do a search not only for the country name, but also the specific port (e.g., Corinto). And don’t hesitate to ask questions. 

Edited by Turtles06

• 2 weeks later...

Just sailed Panama Canal experience, let me know your ports of call. Nicaragua was cancelled on Sunday the 20th of January under guidance from the British Tourist/Foreign Office due to political unrest and our safety if ashore. Not sure how long that will be in place or when you sail.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:23 PM, w8ing2cruz said:

Thanks so much for the info - never would've looked in Caribbean forum for Costa Rica but it makes perfect sense.

You're welcome.  But it doesn't make any sense to me, let alone perfect sense, since the country also borders on the Pacific.   

CC divides up the forums for Canadian ports into: Canada/New England, and Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal).  They need to do something similar here.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, mjkStirling said:

Just sailed Panama Canal experience, let me know your ports of call. Nicaragua was cancelled on Sunday the 20th of January under guidance from the British Tourist/Foreign Office due to political unrest and our safety if ashore. Not sure how long that will be in place or when you sail.

Just curious...did you stop at another port to replace the stop in Nicaragua, or just skip it and have a sea day?

Hi

We had another port of call in Costa Rica, Punterenas. Lovely family port with dark sand beaches. We were there on the Sunday and it was very,very busy; 38 degrees. Stalls,cafes,shops etc in area open. A local museum and the local cathedral were very interesting and as a Catholic I attended Mass.