what time zone?

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I don't see a time stamp....just now, 10 minutes ago, 8 hours ago...nothing concrete.  EM

That's what we see when a post is less than a day old.  After that, and, it seems, for about a week, there will be a specific time stamp, e.g., "Posted Tuesday [no date] at 10:32 AM."  At some point (it looks like about a week after the post was made), the time stamp turns into a date stamp: e.g., "Posted December 29, 2018."

Shmoo: I assume the date/time on your own computer/device is correct or you wouldn't have asked your question.  I don't see anything in the CC settings/profile that we can change ... Very odd!

This was previously discussed, perhaps in the now removed bugs & glitches topic area. 

Hovering over the Posted xx minutes/hours ago will pop a hint showing the date and time. This can be wrong for some users and I don't think the cause was ever explained.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 6:37 AM, Turtles06 said:

Shmoo: I assume the date/time on your own computer/device is correct or you wouldn't have asked your question.  I don't see anything in the CC settings/profile that we can change ... Very odd!

Yes, my date/time settings on my computer are correct.  I'm not sure that this particular glitch has been present since the changeover, or if it's something new.  I just noticed it.

EDIT:  For example.  I just posted this (Pacific time zone 1/15/2019 8:26 pm).  But when I hover over the "Posted just now" data it says it was posted 1/16/2019 4:26 am  - that would be London time).

Edited by Shmoo here

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, my date/time settings on my computer are correct.  I'm not sure that this particular glitch has been present since the changeover, or if it's something new.  I just noticed it.

EDIT:  For example.  I just posted this (Pacific time zone 1/15/2019 8:26 pm).  But when I hover over the "Posted just now" data it says it was posted 1/16/2019 4:26 am  - that would be London time).

You're right!  I did not know you could see a posting time when you hover over the "posted just now" (on the main forum page, not the post itself).  I just checked on something I posted a few minutes ago in another thread and it comes up as 7:50PM, which is indeed the time IN LONDON, but not where I am.

How weird!   I wonder if it has something to do with where the servers actually are.  

On 1/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, Turtles06 said:

You're right!  I did not know you could see a posting time when you hover over the "posted just now" (on the main forum page, not the post itself).  I just checked on something I posted a few minutes ago in another thread and it comes up as 7:50PM, which is indeed the time IN LONDON, but not where I am.

How weird!   I wonder if it has something to do with where the servers actually are.  

Generally times are converted to UTC (GMT) before saving in a database. It appears the code that sets the hint containing the time is sometimes not using a function to convert the saved time (UTC/GMT) to local time.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Generally times are converted to UTC (GMT) before saving in a database. It appears the code that sets the hint containing the time is sometimes not using a function to convert the saved time (UTC/GMT) to local time.

in late 1998 or early 1999 we had a F500 customer for our software that needed to know all the Y2K issues.

Its manufacturing software in a proprietary database on dos and unix. There was extended formula language for macros and they asked me on a phone call if they had any concerns and I stated there may be some report dates off after Feb 28 2000.

They asked if there was anything else and I  facetiously replied well if you size your products differently based on date and time and you make a system call to an OS date that isn't updated then the parts will be the wrong size. ( I know they didn't based on who their customer base was). They had over 30 people on their Y2K committee.

That lead to about 5 hours of documentation we had to do when we did the Y2K patch (the Windows version came out in 1998 so that solved all the date issues but customers on the old software needed a patch that include a method to check to see parts were being sized based on date and time).

As long a CC members don't use the hover date to determine when to board a ship based on it leaves in 8 hours we are okay :=)

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2019 at 4:36 PM, Tiger0613 said:

On the old site, you could change the time zone.  When I signed up, the site defaulted to Eastern Time.  I was able to change it to Central Time.

Yes, I know on the old site that was possible.  But apparently not on the new one.  And the new one thinks we're all in London, apparently.

14 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, I know on the old site that was possible.  But apparently not on the new one.  And the new one thinks we're all in London, apparently.

I'm in EST and the hover times are usually correct.

16 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I changed your time zone to coordinate with your location - it should automatically detect - for some reason it was not on automatic detection for you.

I somehow have the ability to change your time zone but I don't see anywhere that members do unless I am missing it.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I changed your time zone to coordinate with your location - it should automatically detect - for some reason it was not on automatic detection for you.

I somehow have the ability to change your time zone but I don't see anywhere that members do unless I am missing it.  

It would be useful for members to be able to change this themselves, as on the old software. Location detection is not 100% reliable. And if experience of the old software was anything to go by, nor was the software's accuracy in working out DST change dates.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It would be useful for members to be able to change this themselves, as on the old software. Location detection is not 100% reliable. And if experience of the old software was anything to go by, nor was the software's accuracy in working out DST change dates.

If you would prefer i can change yours to a specific time zone.  i also made a note re: member ability for time zone changes.  That is not to say the team will work on it but know it will be suggested

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Mine is wrong as well, but does it really matter?  Am I missing something as to why this is significant?  (That's a real question, not snarky!) 

12 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Mine is wrong as well, but does it really matter?  Am I missing something as to why this is significant?  (That's a real question, not snarky!) 

I know you didn't feel that it mattered, but I updated yours to auto detect as well.  Honestly that is what the setting is supposed to be for all, so I am not sure why some members were brought into the new platform with a specific time zone selected instead.  

15 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I know you didn't feel that it mattered, but I updated yours to auto detect as well.  Honestly that is what the setting is supposed to be for all, so I am not sure why some members were brought into the new platform with a specific time zone selected instead.  

Thanks Jenn, I appreciate it. To be clear, I didn’t say it didn’t matter. I was honestly just trying to understand why it does. :classic_smile:

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Jenn, I appreciate it. To be clear, I didn’t say it didn’t matter. I was honestly just trying to understand why it does. :classic_smile:

true.  To be fair, it would bug me. I like for things to be the way they should be 🙂   Luckily my time was already set properly

On 1/24/2019 at 7:46 AM, Turtles06 said:

I suppose mostly so that people are are aware when a post was posted.  On the old boards, if you looked at the post time on someone's post, it showed what time someone posted IN VIEWERS TIME ZONE.  That is, I'd post a reply at, say 2:00 pm Pacific time in the US, and someone sees/reads my post in, say, the Eastern time zone, it would show that I posted at 5:00 pm (their time).  Just made it easier to know when someone was actually online and posting.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, CC Help Jenn said:

true.  To be fair, it would bug me. I like for things to be the way they should be 🙂   Luckily my time was already set properly

Interesting yours shows

image.png.5ef402b8f76894bae9e654222ea83c75.png

4 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I suppose mostly so that people are are aware when a post was posted.  On the old boards, if you looked at the post time on someone's post, it showed what time someone posted IN VIEWERS TIME ZONE.  That is, I'd post a reply at, say 2:00 pm Pacific time in the US, and someone sees/reads my post in, say, the Eastern time zone, it would show that I posted at 5:00 pm (their time).  Just made it easier to know when someone was actually online and posting.

where @Shmoo here shows in the future (we are in the same TZ)

image.png.46f6aec2dc8a724eaef4c554b8b5f3e0.png

And I am also in the future

image.png.45ada7d105174c9cf6c2a7f1ff441ecd.png

Edited by AlanF65