Trip Report: 12-night Holiday Cruise in the Caribbean on the SILHOUETTE (2018)

SleepingUgly

Day 14 – HOME ... THE END!

Before we knew it, we were back in northern Virginia.  Ah, how I (didn't) miss you, land of no decisions, gridlock (both on the Beltway and on the Hill), snow and ice, and power-hungry lobbyists.

IMG_2027.thumb.JPG.fceda017a9e5cf85ae5f0fa385a568e1.JPGIMG_2038.thumb.JPG.f40d1deb634bef4cd37acb11cde5a8c5.JPGIMG_2039.thumb.JPG.1afa68f4236f7581cceba04379418fbb.JPG

I was so happy to get off that flight.  Some mother with a baby was sitting across the aisle from us and, for some reason, she felt that all of us needed to listen to her playing her videos for her baby.  Literally, we heard that annoying singing of baby tunes THE ENTIRE FLIGHT.  At one point, I guess she didn't think it was loud enough so she turned the stupid volume up even higher on her iPad.  Of course, we said nothing because, if we did, we would be the ones who looked like jerks.  But, seriously, when did this world become all about ME, ME, ME??? I'm hoping my children won't be like that when they grow up.  She finally turned the volume down when she caught my oldest daughter turn around and roll her eyes at me more than a few times.  I mean, really, I know you love your baby and I really appreciate your trying to keep her occupied during the flight, but I don't need to hear Barney songs or "The Wheel on the Damn Bus" that many times being sung by the world's most high-pitched and annoying children's choir.  Where is that flight attendant with my vodka, anyway?

Anyway, the flight landed on time, but of course, we had to wait a while for our luggage.  My children kept themselves occupied, of course ...

IMG_2041.thumb.JPG.5258fa0c892786e3e51ee059c893e947.JPGIMG_2043.thumb.JPG.36a502afd6fbbcce483e3c64ce523bff.JPGIMG_2044.thumb.JPG.d6ad48d5ddf7b938b16fb057bd1fe307.JPG

Finally, all of our luggage arrived and we called for an Uber XL again.  This time, we had plenty of room.  Soon, we were on our way!

IMG_2047.thumb.JPG.a2471a513e09d4a7e5d063e4678d8e8d.JPG

IMG_2048.thumb.JPG.f8c99b5c9f36a3adc6b0b067478f5e99.JPG

Someone was a bit tired from the flight ... and the little girl in pink was pretty beat, too.

IMG_2056.thumb.JPG.eff4c0a57e478cf0514aa81cd4dd770f.JPG

Ah, welcome back to northern Virginia traffic.  #stupiddrivers

IMG_2059.thumb.JPG.b1dbbdb45a5c749d38beda30f6ca66de.JPG

We got home around 6 pm, and this was the mail waiting for us.

IMG_2063.thumb.JPG.4fe149da63ceade5e009e02d51ef180c.JPG

So, we started the cruise with a picture of our luggage at home, waiting to depart.  Here's the very last picture of this trip report, with all our luggage (and children), back safely at home once again!  

IMG_2064.thumb.JPG.11af6e20e64ed5415ce252750c741078.JPG

It was an amazing vacation, and I thank you all so much for joining me on this trip report.  Thanks for every one of your encouraging words and your great feedback, and thanks for sticking it out with me for so long!!  Safe travels to all, wherever you may go in the future, and let's always keep an open mind and enjoy experiencing new cultures and meeting new people.  And, who know, maybe we will cross paths with each other someday ... 🙂

Linda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Linda,

My DH and I have never been on a X cruise as we are Princess cruisers, but I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report.  Your kids are a riot and remind me of my three step sons when they were younger.  Alas, they are "old" now and have kids of their own.  We hope to do a holiday cruise in 2020 as my birthday is right before Christmas and DH is on New Year's day.  Welcome back.

Linda from frozen Michigan

Thanks for a great review. I enjoyed your style of writing and sense of humor. My dh and I will be on the Silhouette in another couple of weeks and are really looking forward to a cruise as wonderful as yours! Happy New Year!

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Hello Linda

I have been waiting for the end of your review to let you know how much I have enjoyed it.

Your photos and commentary have been excellent!

My DH andI have been taking cruise vacations since 1984 and enjoy that type of vacation very much. We have sailed with family and by ourselves over the years and I often found that I was smiling or nodding my head in agreement with some of your experiences as a family sharing a vacation.

I had to chuckle at some of the photos of your little one when she was having a bit of a trying time at  some of the ports. My father took photos of me as a child having an occasional meltdown. He had a sense of humor and wanted to document as much of my childhood as possible. Not funny to me then, but I can laugh at those photos now as I have  been  on the parental and grandparental  side of such happenings!

It was a pleasure to see your daughters dressed for dinner and making those times a happy shared experience with you and your DH.. No wonder the waitstaff took such good care of you. I am certain they were most pleased to be assigned to your family’s table.

I wish you, your DH and daughters many blessings for 2019 and the Year of the Pig.

Thank you so much for reading and for sticking with this super-long trip report, and really appreciate the comments about our children.  I'd like to think they are pretty good kids, but we can't all be well-behaved everyday so we shouldn't really expect them to do so, right?  The meltdowns are to be expected, I guess, and yes - the oldest and the middle child now look back at pictures I've taken of them in the naughty corner and think it's hilarious.  Wait until I show their kids later on ...

Thanks again for the lovely compliments, and a blessed new year to you and yours as well!

Linda

2 hours ago, clutchcurrier said:

Linda,

My DH and I have never been on a X cruise as we are Princess cruisers, but I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report.  Your kids are a riot and remind me of my three step sons when they were younger.  Alas, they are "old" now and have kids of their own.  We hope to do a holiday cruise in 2020 as my birthday is right before Christmas and DH is on New Year's day.  Welcome back.

Linda from frozen Michigan

Hi Linda!

My parents have cruised Princess in the past and really enjoyed that line!  Perhaps you will think of the same holiday cruise in 2020 that we have booked on the Reflection. 😉  That sounds like a lovely way to celebrate your and dh's birthdays - I'm sure whatever line you choose, they will make the trip extra-special for you both.

Thanks so much for reading and for the compliments!

Linda (from now-warm, but soon-to-be-cold-again Virginia)

2 hours ago, effinaround said:

Great job Linda.  Sorry to see it end.

Thank you, and I am sorry to have to end it as well.  Whatever will I do at work now? 🙂

Really appreciate your sticking it out until the bitter end, haha!

Linda

1 hour ago, EMS8 said:

Very nice cruise review.  Really good pictures also.  Glad you and your family had what sounds like a great cruise.

Thank you so much for the kind words!  We did indeed have a great vacation and made some wonderful memories!  

Linda

1 hour ago, weenette said:

Wonderful review! My husband and a couple of our friends will be on the Silhouette on March 3. It looks like you had a great time and it really makes us excited for our cruise.

Thank you for reading!  I'm glad to have been of help!  I remember in the months / weeks / days leading up to our cruise, I read trip reports like crazy and they really helped to get me in the mood and keep me entertained while waiting for my vacation to start.  I hope you have a safe and wonderful cruise next month!

Linda

56 minutes ago, Nanjen said:

Thanks for a great review. I enjoyed your style of writing and sense of humor. My dh and I will be on the Silhouette in another couple of weeks and are really looking forward to a cruise as wonderful as yours! Happy New Year!

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments!  I'm not sure my kids would agree with you about my sense of humor, but guess what?  They are turning out to be smart asses like me, so go figure. 🙂  I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise.  Here's to a safe journey and fantastic weather and some great memories.  Happy New Year!

linda

50 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Wonderful review! You got me through. Only two more days before I head off on my adventure. With 22 family members....Yes, I'm crazy.

Start.  Drinking.  Now.

Haha, seriously, I am sure you will have a great time!  We saw a lot of large families on our cruise and everyone looked like they were having a blast.  The nice thing is - you can all do what you like to do and, even in port, see what you want to see, without having to stick together in a herd.  I'm sure you will have an awesome time.  Safe travels to all!

Linda

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, snow bunny said:

Linda, thank you again!  This review was engaging, informative and very entertaining.  Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

snow bunny

Thanks, snow bunny!  Really appreciate your hanging in there with me, and for all your kind thoughts.  Wishing you a wonderful and healthy 2019!

Linda

12 minutes ago, tompeter said:

This review was SOOO enjoyable....How soon is the next cruise?! 

Hi!  Thanks so much for reading and following along.  So we booked our next holiday cruise for 2020 - 12 nights on the Reflection this time.  Earlier this week, I sent a note to my TA re: a Thanksgiving cruise on the RC Grandeur of the Seas, mainly because it sails out of Baltimore so we wouldn't have to fly anywhere.  I'm trying to book a two-bedroom suite since the cost is actually not too crazy for that option.  I'm still trying to weigh our options - we are either doing a one-week all-inclusive vacay in Mexico or the Caribbean sometime this summer (but, like I said in the beginning, the kids' schedules tend to get in the way during the summer months) or we'll do something over Thanksgiving.  Hoping maybe we can get another cruise in before December 2020!

Thanks again for hanging in there with me!

Linda

Linda thank you for the amazing review! I loved your style of writing - you have done what I have always wanted to do but somehow never find the time to do when we get home from the cruise. Thank you for sharing all the stories of your excursions and posting the wonderful pictures of your family and the sites.  DH and I will be leaving on Sunday on the Silhouette and your review has made these last few weeks bearable as we count the days to our cruise. 

Cant wait to read along on your next family cruise! 

Thanks again and happy new year to you and your family!

Jen