MSC Drink Package Upgrade - Easy to Premium

cruisers2019

6 minutes ago, Rumncoke said:

Thinking of trying MSC for the first time. These drink packages are confusing to me.

What brands of rum and gin are included in the Easy (under $12) package?  Bacardi Silver? Bombay Sapphire? 

I saw the Premium menu posted above. That is the Premium Plus menu, correct? 

Thanks for your help!

See post #10 - it shoes the different packages, the brand and drinks inlcuded, etc. Easy includes under $6.  And the brands are listed in the image in #10.  (Bacardi white, beefeater gin, etc)

Premium Package is the one that's $12 and under.  

The image above in #44 shows all the packages with an X for what's inlcuded. No X, not included in said package.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The following thread has the current drinks menus with the prices for US-based sailings so you can compare the difference between what's included in the Easy (up to $6) and Premium (up to $12) packages:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2645640-current-bar-menus/

Thanks for the link to the drinks menu but I'm confused by this. You say you can see what's included in the Easy (up to $6) package but there are no alcoholic drinks which are $6 or less. I have the Easy package with Aurea on an upcoming cruise, having had whatever the Aurea package was last year before the change. The picture in post 10 on here seems to indicate that I can now only get 4 or 5 specific cocktails or spirit and mixer or wine. Is this correct?

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

Thanks for the link to the drinks menu but I'm confused by this. You say you can see what's included in the Easy (up to $6) package but there are no alcoholic drinks which are $6 or less. I have the Easy package with Aurea on an upcoming cruise, having had whatever the Aurea package was last year before the change. The picture in post 10 on here seems to indicate that I can now only get 4 or 5 specific cocktails or spirit and mixer or wine. Is this correct?

Yes, you're correct.  The description in Post #10 of the Easy Package, which sounds incredibly limited, is correct.  I had the Aurea experience before the change, also, and was very disappointed to see the change to Easy.  I found the upgrade to Premium ($189/person for the week) to be a reasonable way to access everything I actually wanted to drink... I just wish I had known about the change when I was shopping for and pricing competing cruises.

• Thanks 1

Hi All, we booked our cruise through a travel agent. We have "All Inclusive Drinks" I assume this is only the Easy package. is the €10 per day the same on the ship? We don't have an MSC account we can log in to to update our drinks package.

Thanks

Hi Eirbear - you don't say which itinerary you're doing.  The Daily Service Charge is €10 pppd on cruises where the onboard currency is in Euros and €12.50 when the onboard currency is US$.

Depending on what itinerary and/or cabin category you've booked, you may have the Premium package included because it's a running promotion here in Ireland for specific sailings/cabin levels:

https://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Cruise-Deals/Get-More-Get-All.aspx

Bea

Edited by Beamafar

Hi Bea,

Thanks for the info. €10 a day isn't too bad! 

Oops! We are on the MSC Fantasia departing Palma de Mallorca on the 29th of April. We are in a balcony room on the  Fantastica experience. It is our first cruise so I haven't a clue what to expect. I am a picky drinker so if I don't drink anything in the package I will have to upgrade. I booked through Abbey Travel last August.

Thanks

17 minutes ago, eirbear said:

Hi Bea,

Thanks for the info. €10 a day isn't too bad! 

Oops! We are on the MSC Fantasia departing Palma de Mallorca on the 29th of April. We are in a balcony room on the  Fantastica experience. It is our first cruise so I haven't a clue what to expect. I am a picky drinker so if I don't drink anything in the package I will have to upgrade. I booked through Abbey Travel last August.

Thanks

Then you should have the old "Restaurant & Bar" all-inclusive - a much better prospect!  The code 431 should be indicated on your cruiscard.  You'll have gelato included with it;  you'll find the gelato bar next to the buffet on deck 14 and there's also another one in Piazza San Giorgio on deck 6 (a fabulous place to hang out and have a coffee during the day, or enjoy the live music in the evening).

I envy people doing their first cruise and experiencing it for the first time.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise, but don't judge cruising generally by this one - I swore I'd never do another cruise after our first;  I've now done 23 (21 on MSC) with 2 more booked!  😜

One really big plus for me is that the currency onboard most MSC sailings is in Euros, so no currency exchange issues with the subsequent loss of value.

Here's a link to Fantasia's technical sheet which you may be interested in having:

MSC Fantasia Technical Sheet.pdf

Thanks a million, you are a wealth of knowledge. 

5 weeks today until we embark, and we can't wait. I have read mixed reviews about MSC alright but sure I had already booked by then, and as with any holiday it is what you make it. We are both just looking forward to the break from work and the crap Irish weather!!

I think for our next one I would love to do the eastern med one! Yup I am planning already! lol 

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Then you should have the old "Restaurant & Bar" all-inclusive - a much better prospect!  The code 431 should be indicated on your cruiscard.  You'll have gelato included with it;  you'll find the gelato bar next to the buffet on deck 14 and there's also another one in Piazza San Giorgio on deck 6 (a fabulous place to hang out and have a coffee during the day, or enjoy the live music in the evening).

I envy people doing their first cruise and experiencing it for the first time.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise, but don't judge cruising generally by this one - I swore I'd never do another cruise after our first;  I've now done 23 (21 on MSC) with 2 more booked!  😜

One really big plus for me is that the currency onboard most MSC sailings is in Euros, so no currency exchange issues with the subsequent loss of value.

Here's a link to Fantasia's technical sheet which you may be interested in having:

MSC Fantasia Technical Sheet.pdf 2.72 MB · 1 download

Hi. I would share Bea's view on this.

We sailed Fantasia in late October past & she is a lovely ship, a genuinely potentially great tart to your cruising history.

At around ten years old now, someone will correct this if I'm wrong lol, she has no real signs of age or desperate need of a re-fit. The public spaces are great & the variety good. If you enjoy a drink there are so many choices. We found the food to be good all over, though limited in terms of the special dining ...very! The place was empty every night!

I was looking last night and noted that she is returning quite early from our winter in Brasil, being virtually 'home' in Europe close to The Canaries about now.

Enjoy your sailing

32 minutes ago, eirbear said:

Thanks a million, you are a wealth of knowledge. 

5 weeks today until we embark, and we can't wait. I have read mixed reviews about MSC alright but sure I had already booked by then, and as with any holiday it is what you make it. We are both just looking forward to the break from work and the crap Irish weather!!

I think for our next one I would love to do the eastern med one! Yup I am planning already! lol 

I love the East Med itineraries - some really great ports of call AND duty-free onboard due to visits to either Montenegro or Albania.  😀

ETA ... About the drinks package - I doubt you'll need to upgrade.  The package you have is very comprehensive (I think you'll be pleasantly surprised).  The included wines aren't great, but I've had them on a couple of cruises when we didn't have the Deluxe package;  they were passable enough for me not to feel like buying anything different.  If you're a beer drinker, you may find the included draught beers more limited.  Heineken is the main one and you have to go to particular bars to find alternatives (which are usually Murphy's Red and Newcastle Brown IIRC).

Edited by Beamafar

Just asking again,since no-one answered my question a few days ago. Am I right in thinking that you cannot upgrade the drinks package part way through the cruise, as you can on other cruise lines. We'll be doing the TA from Barbados to UK and will be off the ship a lot at the start of the cruise and $27 pp per day is a LOT of money on a 22 night cruise. If the answer to that question is yes, do they ever offer specials or offers on upgrading part way through, or on eg cocktail packages to supplement the rather meagre choice on the Easy package

5 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Just asking again,since no-one answered my question a few days ago. Am I right in thinking that you cannot upgrade the drinks package part way through the cruise, as you can on other cruise lines. We'll be doing the TA from Barbados to UK and will be off the ship a lot at the start of the cruise and $27 pp per day is a LOT of money on a 22 night cruise. If the answer to that question is yes, do they ever offer specials or offers on upgrading part way through, or on eg cocktail packages to supplement the rather meagre choice on the Easy package

On the Seaside in the US, they allow upgrading on the first or the second day of the cruise.  We found out about the upgrade option on the third day of our cruise in 2018 and were stunned nobody had told us.  We found a bartender who was able to make it happen even though it technically wasn't allowed.

For our 2019 cruise, we upgraded before getting on board, so I don't know if their rules have changed.

My big problem with MSC is inconsistency in policy.  I called at least three times about upgrade policies, options, and pricing and got at least three different answers.  So, if you're really worried about the cutoff point for upgrading, I would call MSC until you get the same answer twice in a row... but also know that it's really going to come down to what a particular bartender on a particular ship will do for you at any particular time.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Sorry I contributed here without realising the original question had not been addressed!

You can only take on a drinks package up to day 2 normally.

I agree it is a fair few $ on longer cruises, but I always partake as I enjoy that part of the sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, Beamafar said:

If you're a beer drinker, you may find the included draught beers more limited.  Heineken is the main one and you have to go to particular bars to find alternatives (which are usually Murphy's Red and Newcastle Brown IIRC).

Hi, I’ve heard mention that you can get other beers under the Easy package at the Irish pub on Meraviglia. Can anyone confirm that? We have Easy and I’m debating on upgrade. Sounds kind of stressful to alway be worried if you are ordering the right thing or not. TY!

Edited by IrishForNow

8 minutes ago, IrishForNow said:

Hi, I’ve heard mention that you can get other beers under the Easy package at the Irish pub on Meraviglia. Can anyone confirm that? We have Easy and I’m debating on upgrade. Sounds kind of stressful to alway be worried if you are ordering the right thing or not. TY!

Hi, IFN ... I'm IrishForever  😅

There are a range of beers on tap in the Brass Anchor that aren't available in other bars (hate to tell you - but it's actually an English pub  😱).  Whether they will be included in the Easy package I can't say.  It specifically states 'Heineken' but the old basic package did stretch to all beers on draught.  Heineken is the one beer that's available on tap in all bars, which may be why it's stated here (or maybe not):

Easy Package:

Savour the freedom to satisfy your thirst at any moment with a dedicated selection of house wines by the glass, one brand of draught beer (Heineken*) and/or Miller Lite bottled beer, selected spirits and cocktails, non-alcoholic cocktails, soft drinks and fruit juices by the glass, bottled mineral water, classic hot drink (espresso, cappuccino, caffe latte, hot tea) and coffee and chocolate delights. You can take advantage of this offer in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, excluding speciality restaurants. *The brand of beer may vary overtime.

No need to stress over what's included or not;  your server will assist you and advise if something you order is not included.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Hi, IFN ... I'm IrishForever  😅

There are a range of beers on tap in the Brass Anchor that aren't available in other bars (hate to tell you - but it's actually an English pub  😱).  Whether they will be included in the Easy package I can't say.  It specifically states 'Heineken' but the old basic package did stretch to all beers on draught.  Heineken is the one beer that's available on tap in all bars, which may be why it's stated here (or maybe not):

Easy Package:

Savour the freedom to satisfy your thirst at any moment with a dedicated selection of house wines by the glass, one brand of draught beer (Heineken*) and/or Miller Lite bottled beer, selected spirits and cocktails, non-alcoholic cocktails, soft drinks and fruit juices by the glass, bottled mineral water, classic hot drink (espresso, cappuccino, caffe latte, hot tea) and coffee and chocolate delights. You can take advantage of this offer in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, excluding speciality restaurants. *The brand of beer may vary overtime.

No need to stress over what's included or not;  your server will assist you and advise if something you order is not included.

Lol! Thanks for the reply! We’re in Ireland on an expat assignment so only ‘for now.’ ☘️ That makes sense about the beers. We will just ask about alternatives. NCL was really good about telling us if a drink was an extra charge. I’m hopeful MSC will do the same. 

Hope you're enjoying your visit to the Emerald Isle.  You've certainly picked a great time to be here with the wonderful Spring weather we're getting at the moment (though you must be here for some time due to when you registered with your username  🙄)

For sure, they will tell you if anything you order is for a charge.  When you order a drink, they always check your cruisecard to see the code of the drink package that you have to ensure that there isn't a charge.

Edited by Beamafar

On 3/27/2019 at 4:40 PM, Beamafar said:

Hope you're enjoying your visit to the Emerald Isle.  You've certainly picked a great time to be here with the wonderful Spring weather we're getting at the moment (though you must be here for some time due to when you registered with your username  🙄)

For sure, they will tell you if anything you order is for a charge.  When you order a drink, they always check your cruisecard to see the code of the drink package that you have to ensure that there isn't a charge.

Ha ha, yes...we got to experience a not so lovely spring last year.  (I think we’re the ones who brought the snow.) We are really enjoying our time here, though. Enjoying getting to see Europe, too. We took our first cruise on NCL Epic in October so this upcoming cruise on MSC will only be our 2nd. We’re going to try and make the Easy package work for us because I’m too cheap to upgrade. 😂 Honestly, we kind of prefer the simple drinks so I think it will be okay. G&T, Long Island Tea and Moscow Mule are some of my faves. 🥂 

Well, we had one of the best Summers we've had in a long time, so I'll credit you with that and not be too harsh about you bringing the snow.  😜  That'll be talked about for decades to come, I can tell you!  😱

Never been on NCL so I've no idea how it compares to MSC.  Another thing to take into account is that some people (myself and the other half included) felt that Meraviglia doesn't quite have an MSC 'feel' about it - it's just different to the rest of the fleet.  We'll be back on her in October - really looking forward to it.

I think you'll find that the Easy package has enough included to keep you happy.  Suss it out on the first day - you will have an opportunity for the first 2 days to upgrade, so you'll know by the second day if you need an upgrade. I don't know when you're sailing, but I'll say Buon Viaggio, anyway.

Edited by Beamafar

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jjh9 said:

Beamzfar I hope you can help me on drink package. What is Aurea best deal? This on the invoice.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, JJ.

The 'Easy' package is now included for Aurea bookings.  For Aurea bookings before 12 November last, the old Classic is included.

17 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, JJ.

The 'Easy' package is now included for Aurea bookings.  For Aurea bookings before 12 November last, the old Classic is included.

Do you know what is meant by aurea best deal. I booked in March 2018 with classic package

2 minutes ago, jjh9 said:

Do you know what is meant by aurea best deal. I booked in March 2018 with classic package

I haven't come across this, so I can't say what is meant by it, sorry.  The only thing that it sounds like its referencing is the promotion you booked under.  I've checked a confirmation invoice that I have and, under 'Price description' it identifies the promotion that relates to my booking (which was 'Early booking;  no frills').  Where on your invoice is it stated?

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

I haven't come across this, so I can't say what is meant by it, sorry.  The only thing that it sounds like its referencing is the promotion you booked under.  I've checked a confirmation invoice that I have and, under 'Price description' it identifies the promotion that relates to my booking (which was 'Early booking;  no frills').  Where on your invoice is it stated?

Under options