Bringing prescription medication

KruisingKaren

I've read advice that says to bring your prescription medication in the prescription bottles they came in. Between my husband and I that would be 12 bottles - rather bulky, especially for a carry on.

We usually put our prescription meds in  one of those compartmentalized organizers - both when we travel and at home.

Looking to hear opinions on bringing the bottles.

Thanks!

Karen

I bring  enough  for the cruise  + a few days  in original bottles

plus my daily organizer  ..toss the bottles when empty

I also bring a copy of the pharmacy label 

some put theirs in baggies with the label  that could work also

I do that with the vitamins

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

If you do a search, you will see several very recent discussions on this exact topic....

Here is a link to the Disable Cruiser sub-forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

There are many discussions on this, including (at least) one very recent.

Some of the decision about bottles/labels may depend upon whether you are crossing international borders, or whether you have any medications that are "controlled/restricted" in any country you are visiting.

(You might be surprised at what some countries restrict, so it's best to check well in advance.)

GC

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you do a search, you will see several very recent discussions on this exact topic....

Thank you for your reply.  Is there a way to search just the forum you're on?  Every time I've tried a search on this new version of the CC website it returns results from the whole site making it tedious if not impossible to slog through all of the results especially if the search term is fairly generic.  No sarcasm here, just hoping you know something I don't. 😊

Karen

None that I am aware of. But the other side of that is you can find very relevant info on other boards than you are on. They show up.

Yes, sometimes the search words can seem vague. But overall,  the search function has has gotten much better in the last month or so.

6 minutes ago, KruisingKaren said:

Thank you for your reply.  Is there a way to search just the forum you're on?  Every time I've tried a search on this new version of the CC website it returns results from the whole site making it tedious if not impossible to slog through all of the results especially if the search term is fairly generic.  No sarcasm here, just hoping you know something I don't. 😊

Karen

24 minutes ago, KruisingKaren said:

Thank you for your reply.  Is there a way to search just the forum you're on?  😊

Yes  just click on the word search in the search box top right  the menu will drop down  click on this forum  then add the word(s) for the search & click on the  symbol like a magnifying glass

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

None that I am aware of. But the other side of that is you can find very relevant info on other boards than you are on. They show up.

Yes, sometimes the search words can seem vague. But overall,  the search function has has gotten much better in the last month or so.

If you know how to do Boolean search format, it would be easier.

in any case, do know that the US CBP only recommends original bottles. Individual states may require them -particularly for narcotics. And, as aforementioned, some countries ban certain Rx meds (regardless of how you carry them).

You could check with your pharmacy about pre-packaged daily dosing (space saving but can be expensive).

When we fly, which is often (and mostly international), we use the plastic daily dispensers for anything other than a narcotic (in original bottle) and carry a pharmacy "back panel" (I.e., a printed pharmacy letterhead summary of all meds including our name, med description, MD, etc.) 

We've traveled (cruise/land) throughout Europe & Asia etc. and have always just had them in a pill organizer...Perhaps we've been lucky but no one has ever asked, taken notice of or cared.

7 hours ago, KruisingKaren said:

I've read advice that says to bring your prescription medication in the prescription bottles they came in.

I have not heard of any issues from TSA on this issue, not saying it doesn't happen. What you have to know is most states have their own laws about carrying prescriptions in original bottles with legible labels. 

Over the years, I have traveled to 145 different countries.

I have taken my daily meds in a pill organizer, and NEVER had them looked at or questioned.

If you are taking narcotics or serious drugs, then I would consider taking THEM in the original bottle (and a current bottle, not an old one) and a letter from your doctor about your needing these drugs.

Also, carry enough for the trip and a reasonable contingency.  Maybe a week, not months worth.   

Also, know what you are taking, and know the chemical and generic name.  If you run out, in many countries, you just go to the pharmacy and buy what you need.  But they may not know the brand name that you take, so by knowing the chemical or generic name, they can figure what it is.

We keep our prescriptions in their original bottles.  I have a small medical bag that I keep them in.  DH alone takes 17 different medications -- some of them 3 times a day and some of them look like horse pills.  Those compartmentalized containers don't do him any good since he takes medications 5 times a day.

Over the years we have had TSA check that medical bag -- took out the bottles and read the labels.  Don't even want to tell you what happen many years ago shortly after 9/11 -- long story.

Most meds will be fine in a weekly organizer.  The exceptions will be any controlled substances, which should be left in the original container.

As far as what is legal, OTC or prohibited in the countries you are visiting, as long as your meds stay in your cabin, there shouldn't be an issue.  If you bring meds with you into port, and something happens to you that requires a medical or police intervention, then there might be problems.

I take 5 different meds and on multiple land and sea based trips I have never taken original bottles.  For short trips I can use a couple of organizers but for longer adventures I just put all the pills in one bottle and sort out as I go.  Helps that I can recognize all the meds.  I do carry copies of the pill labels but have never been asked to show them or what pills I have.  

Note: none of the meds are Controlled agents.

Agree with most that you don't need original bottles unless you are carrying controlled substances.   We've had a couple of interesting situations involving prescriptions, both entering Australia.    At the time, they ask on the pre-landing form given out on airplanes if you were carrying any prescription drugs and, if so, ask for a list.   We dutifully checked 'yes' and were prepared with our list and our prescription bottles in our carryon.   When we got to customs there were 2 lines - 1 for those with nothing to declare, 1 for others who declared something (like our drugs).   The first line was huge, the second option had no line at all.   We presented ourselves, showed our list and the agent waved us right through.   We were out of there in 2 minutes while those with 'no drugs' spent at least half an hour in line.   

The other situation was similar to the first, but at the time we only had a statin anti-cholesterol drug.    The agent looked at it and said "It's a good thing you brought it, we don't allow cruise passengers in the country without it!".   

Edited by Kartgv

8 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

Agree with most that you don't need original bottles unless you are carrying controlled substances.   We've had a couple of interesting situations involving prescriptions, both entering Australia.    At the time, they ask on the pre-landing form given out on airplanes if you were carrying any prescription drugs and, if so, ask for a list.   We dutifully checked 'yes' and were prepared with our list and our prescription bottles in our carryon.   When we got to customs there were 2 lines - 1 for those with nothing to declare, 1 for others who declared something (like our drugs).   The first line was huge, the second option had no line at all.   We presented ourselves, showed our list and the agent waved us right through.   We were out of there in 2 minutes while those with 'no drugs' spent at least half an hour in line.   

The other situation was similar to the first, but at the time we only had a statin anti-cholesterol drug.    The agent looked at it and said "It's a good thing you brought it, we don't allow cruise passengers in the country without it!".   

I guess that last comment was especially appropriate for those who arrive on the cruise ship as passengers, and departing as cargo :classic_wink:

GC

I always take the majority of my medications in an organizer book like the one below. I have a printout in the side pocket with a complete list of my medications, and emergency medical information. I also have the Walgreens app on my phone so I can pull my prescription records any time. If a drug requires a paper script (controlled substances), I keep it in the original bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZHOWWU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 minutes ago, payitforward said:

I always take the majority of my medications in an organizer book like the one below. I have a printout in the side pocket with a complete list of my medications, and emergency medical information. I also have the Walgreens app on my phone so I can pull my prescription records any time. If a drug requires a paper script (controlled substances), I keep it in the original bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZHOWWU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think Mrs Ldubs might like that pill organizer book.  Looks like there are four little compartments for each day. Do you think you could squeeze 2 weeks worth of pills?  Or maybe a better way to ask is how many pills in general would each daily compartment hold?  I can't really tell how big each of the little compartments is.  

Related -- I put my medications and critical health info on my iPhone's Health app where it can be accessed by first responders.  Not sure if all smart phones have this.   

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think Mrs Ldubs might like that pill organizer book.  Looks like there are four little compartments for each day. Do you think you could squeeze 2 weeks worth of pills?  Or maybe a better way to ask is how many pills in general would each daily compartment hold?  I can't really tell how big each of the little compartments is.  

Related -- I put my medications and critical health info on my iPhone's Health app where it can be accessed by first responders.  Not sure if all smart phones have this.   

The compartments hold a fair amount of pills. I take a few very large pills. I only take pills twice a day, so I put two weeks worth in the book. I printed new "am" and "pm" labels, and put them over the "noon" and "evening" compartments.

2 minutes ago, payitforward said:

The compartments hold a fair amount of pills. I take a few very large pills. I only take pills twice a day, so I put two weeks worth in the book. I printed new "am" and "pm" labels, and put them over the "noon" and "evening" compartments.

Thanks!   

16 hours ago, cb at sea said:

You will be fine with the daily planners.  They really don't care about your meds at all.  The only caveat is if you're going to certain Middle Eastern countries...

Even their, I have never had anyone even look at them.

Now, carry a couple hundred of a controlled drug, and it will not be a good vacation, but LONG. 😄