“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

Had an interesting day in Mangalore...visited a cashew factory, a Hindu temple, a Catholic church, the Belmont House  and of course, a mall.  

The ladies who work in the cashew factory are mostly middle aged and uneducated, making $5-10 per day! But our guide said they are grateful to have a job.  Several cows walked out into the busy road we were driving on and made traffic slow or stop...they wandered around the port too.

P.S. Those children were in an on-site  daycare at the cashew factory....nice! 

20190507_162759.jpg

20190507_162752.jpg

20190507_145710.jpg

20190507_115449.jpg

20190507_104835.jpg

20190507_103401.jpg

20190507_101404.jpg

20190507_094142.jpg

20190507_091850.jpg

20190507_092842.jpg

Enjoying your pictures and posts. I will be on O's Nautica in Dec. 2019 and will be visiting Mangalore and 3 other India ports. Did you do an organized tour in Mangalore or can you just walk around from the port? Would appreciate any info or suggestions. Thanks.

Iris

You can take an Oceania tour, a private tour, or ride the Oceania shuttle to the City Center Mall, and walk around town yourself...

you just have to 'run the gauntlet' of auto-rickshaw driver's soliciting your business...:classic_wink:

I did the latter, I think Lisa and Connie did the former...

Edited by bob brown

34 minutes ago, bob brown said:

You can take an Oceania tour, a private tour, or ride the Oceania shuttle to the City Center Mall, and walk around town yourself...

you just have to 'run the gauntlet' of auto-rickshaw driver's soliciting your business...:classic_wink:

I did the latter, I think Lisa and Connie did the former...

Thanks, Bob and Go Bucks. 

Bob,did you take the rickshaw? 

We'll be flying overhead tonight Bob. Off to do a sprint (7 day) on the MSC Seaside from Miami on Saturday. Will be in Andorra for a week after but gone from Spain before you get there on the Insignia. I'll be back to work for over a month before you're even done >.<

My steward, Savio is from here, and is welcoming his family aboard for a visit today...so I put my “Privacy” sign up, and told him to skip my room today, so he could get done faster.  Jim Beach did likewise...🙂

Walked over to Vasco Station...stopped along the way for a haircut...😎

3B3B9DAF-9E60-4958-9FC6-98FA2941E99B.jpeg

4E928962-BFA0-4966-A94C-69BC6A8ABA0D.jpeg

308296C1-A733-4844-9F39-DF697B594ADB.jpeg

A49A8A33-60CC-468F-BE39-7F66CCE04A04.jpeg

FCAAC34D-0C5D-4AA3-AFFA-AB5725400CC1.jpeg

6DE5AC40-09F0-4FCF-B7B0-A0E5AD1D51EE.jpeg

• Like 1

Goa........  Many years ago we were on P & O's Aurora to India.    We were unable to dock in Goa because a ship had sunk in the harbour blocking the way.    The Captain was determined to stop in that port as so many of the P & O crew were Goan and were looking forward to seeing their families who they wouldn't have seen for many months.

We docked at an Iron or Bauxite (can't remember which) mining industrial dock and the coaches were brought to the ship.  The carpets on board were covered with a protective plastic "bubble wrap" as the ground outside was red dust. (The floor "popped") The families were all waiting and waving on the hillside for the crew members, and like you, Bob, we told our steward not to attend to our cabin, I made the bed myself!!!      We had a lovely day at the beach and the crew were able to meet their loved ones.   

I have never forgotten that day and the kindness of our Captain to his crew.

Now I have seen the dockside that we should have tied up to.  Not much of a place.    Our red dust was much more exciting. 😃

J  ....................

Edited by Jay23
spelling
  • Like 2

We are doing one leg of this cruise that departs in Southampton on June 19, 2019.  If any leggers are interested in sharing transportation from the port to London Heathrow, please e-mail me at luvourdogs at earthlink dot net.

Thanks,

Connie

14 hours ago, irisbax3 said:

Bob,did you take the rickshaw? 

No, I walked from the shuttle bus stop at the mall, over to the station and back.

Today there was no shuttle. I walked from the ship to town with a couple, Bob and Janelle R, and we took a taxi back...

Good job Bob Brown putting out the privacy sign. 

We do the same on switch-over days and when several of the passengers do the same, it makes a significant difference in the cabin steward's schedule that day.

I'm pretty sure i can still make a bed, and the number of towels they give us each day is more than sufficient to take care of us for a day of no cabin service! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cbb said:

Good job Bob Brown putting out the privacy sign. 

We do the same on switch-over days 

We told our stewardess the same thing on embarkation days. 

Our butler got to spend a few hours with his wife and children today...made us so happy that he got to do that.

Today we toured 2 churches, a Hindu temple and a spice farm where we had a nice meal and could buy spices for quite a low price. 

The last picture is the mummified body of Francis Xavier, who brought catholicism to India.

20190508_130257.jpg

20190508_130509.jpg

20190508_130513.jpg

20190508_130520.jpg

20190508_130120.jpg

20190508_130126.jpg

20190508_122138.jpg

20190508_111311.jpg

20190508_095029.jpg

20190508_092416.jpg

20190508_092620.jpg

Will be joining you all in Dubai in just few days on 13 May. Rome is long ways off but we are disembarking in Rome.   Is anyone wanting to share taxi or private vehicle from cruise terminal  to Rome when we arrive there on 4 June? Again would coordinate getting larger vehicle/van to transport couple(s) to Rome and share costs.   Would need to coordinate drop locations in Rome.  If you have arranged transport already and have room and would like to share costs let me know. There would 2 of us (my wife and I) with two  carry-on suitcases.  Personal e-mail is tomredison@gmail.com.  

5 hours ago, Edgewater601 said:

We are doing one leg of this cruise that departs in Southampton on June 19, 2019.  If any leggers are interested in sharing transportation from the port to London Heathrow, please e-mail me at luvourdogs at earthlink dot net.

Thanks,

Connie

We are coming in a day early, so we would not be available.  However, you might want to go to the roll call section.  There is a roll call for this section of the world cruise,  and you might get more replies.

Forgot to mention in my earlier sail away post...the pilot boat was moving too much for a safe disembarkation, so that tug boat moved alongside, to provide a more stable place for our pilot to leave us....

one on of our ports, the pilot came aboard by being lowered from a helicopter; i think at least 1/2 of the ship was on the pool deck to watch his 'entrance'....to sustained applause and thumbs-up to the helicopter pilot from those of us watching!!! 

6 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

We are coming in a day early, so we would not be available.  However, you might want to go to the roll call section.  There is a roll call for this section of the world cruise,  and you might get more replies.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, bob brown said:

Today we will be sharing the port with Royal Caribbean’s new Spectrum of the Seas....

(Nickname....Behemoth of the Seas)  😉

20190509_074730.jpg

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1