“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

23 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

(Nickname....Behemoth of the Seas)  😉

20190509_074730.jpg

It’s rather large, but it’s class (Quantum), is only number three in size, behind RCI’s Oasis class, and MSC’s Meraviglia...😮

16 hours ago, bob brown said:

It’s rather large, but it’s class (Quantum), is only number three in size, behind RCI’s Oasis class, and MSC’s Meraviglia...😮

Still a behemoth compared to our little Insignia!  😎

Assif, I am so sorry you and Talia had to endure this absolute indignity.  I consider it outrageous that you were not allowed to at least remain on board the ship, let alone disembark in those countries, simply because of your nationality.

The whole thing makes me so sour, that I will show my disapproval by the only means that I know will count...with my wallet.   I will not spend a penny in any of those countries.

Perhaps if Oceania and other cruise lines would cease calling in those countries, they might reconsider their uncivil policies.

As for Oceania, they should at least attempt to generously compensate you for what you had to endure.

44 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Can’t ride the top of electric trains, only diesel... so did the next best thing and hung from the side....🤗

Well - you are forgiven (this time) 😀

11 hours ago, bob brown said:

Still MUCH TOO BIG for us.  Love the size of Oceania.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bob brown said:

Assif, I am so sorry you and Talia had to endure this absolute indignity.  I consider it outrageous that you were not allowed to at least remain on board the ship, let alone disembark in those countries, simply because of your nationality.

The whole thing makes me so sour, that I will show my disapproval by the only means that I know will count...with my wallet.   I will not spend a penny in any of those countries.

Perhaps if Oceania and other cruise lines would cease calling in those countries, they might reconsider their uncivil policies.

As for Oceania, they should at least attempt to generously compensate you for what you had to endure.

Can't believe they would do that to them.     Might have to re think where we go with O.

Edited by RJB
  • Like 1

https://beachworldtour.blogspot.com/2019/05/goin-to-goa.html

This is my personal blog. I have been asked by many on board about my train trips from one port to another and rejoining Insignia. I take in so much more getting to know some of the people and culture of the countries to which we are all traveling. This last trip between Cochin and Goa had more than its share of difficulties but it was worth the effort.

cheehe and ernest.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Beach said:

https://beachworldtour.blogspot.com/2019/05/goin-to-goa.html

This is my personal blog. I have been asked by many on board about my train trips from one port to another and rejoining Insignia. I take in so much more getting to know some of the people and culture of the countries to which we are all traveling. This last trip between Cochin and Goa had more than its share of difficulties but it was worth the effort.

Oh boy, your narrative makes me remember the India I experienced almost 20 years ago, and reminds me  why I warn people on ships not to do independent travel there.  You were brave, but then you got to have those wonderful, personal experiences.  BTW, they're called 'autorickshaws' in India, not tuk tuks.  And I'm betting that your pic of the aircraft carrier is illegal, ha ha, they generally don't allow photography around military installations.

Love your shots of the pilot boat, glad you got back onboard safe and sound!

Not sure I am following you here Assaf and Talia. Are you seriously saying you thought Oceania had the final say in this matter rather than the UAE? While I certainly don't support UAE's decision, it was always there's in the end and I think it may have been a little naive on your part to rely on the word of Oceania alone. A bit more research may have been required.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, bob brown said:

Thank you Bob

7 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Not sure I am following you here Assaf and Talia. Are you seriously saying you thought Oceania had the final say in this matter rather than the UAE? While I certainly don't support UAE's decision, it was always there's in the end and I think it may have been a little naive on your part to rely on the word of Oceania alone. A bit more research may have been required.

If Oceania emailed my TA (twice) saying that we can stay on board (I imagine they checked with UAE authorities) they should stand behind their word, if the circumstances change they should compensate us. Had they the slightest doubt about us staying on board in UAE they should have made us choose to disembark before the cruise started as was the case was in Indonesia. Are you so naive to think that we were allowed on board in NYC without all visas & permissions. To be told on the afternoon that you have to get off the ship is a little disturbing & not the policy of a reputable company.

• Like 1

Assif and Tali, I am so very sorry this happened to you. I can't locate your original post to reply to. We are in Dubai sightseeing for a few days before we embark on Monday. Today, we went to Abu Dhabi and there were signs all over saying "Year of Tolerance". I asked our guide what that referred to and he said last year was a celebration year related to welcoming mosques and temples. I kept thinking of your experience. I think you said that you are going to reboard in Haifa. I hope to meet you in person. And Bob, I was thinking of your post and I didn't buy a thing. I applaud your effort to make an impact. Gail

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ilsun said:

If Oceania emailed my TA (twice) saying that we can stay on board (I imagine they checked with UAE authorities) they should stand behind their word, if the circumstances change they should compensate us. Had they the slightest doubt about us staying on board in UAE they should have made us choose to disembark before the cruise started as was the case was in Indonesia. Are you so naive to think that we were allowed on board in NYC without all visas & permissions. To be told on the afternoon that you have to get off the ship is a little disturbing & not the policy of a reputable company.

My point remains the same. Oceania can’t override the UAE. If O were originally told you would be allowed to stay onboard but then the UAE changed their minds, I fail to see why your anger is directed at Oceania. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am sorry for the situation you are in but unless I am missing some relevant information, it appears you are the victims of a less than reputable government rather than mismanagement by Oceania.

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I am a little puzzled by how did UAE know several days ahead of time that Israeli citizens are onboard rather than just finding that out at the time of arrival to UAE?

I suspect that Oceania is required to submit a passenger manifest a few days prior, just like airlines do. Just a guess, but I also suspect that the person who reviewed this list is not the person who originally okayed ilsun staying on board the ship while in port.  Two different government bureaucrats have different interpretation of what is the 'rule'. 

By way of comparison:

On the last ATW cruise on Insignia (January-July 2018) a similar incident happened to an Israeli couple who were denied entry to Indonesia and also had to disembark before reaching any Indonesian port.

After similar difficulty with Oceania, that couple was provided air and land arrangements forAustralia,  and ultimately re-boarding there

6 hours ago, KS&JW said:

I suspect that Oceania is required to submit a passenger manifest a few days prior, just like airlines do. Just a guess, but I also suspect that the person who reviewed this list is not the person who originally okayed ilsun staying on board the ship while in port.  Two different government bureaucrats have different interpretation of what is the 'rule'. 

That is a very plausible scenario.

If that is what happened, Oceania should have the document showing that permission by an UAE official was given and present it to current UAE officials.

Whether that would be honored or not is a different question.

Very sad situation in any case - my sympathies to Ilsun for having been put into this mess and hopefully O will compensate him at the very least.

20 hours ago, Paulchili said:

That is a very plausible scenario.

If that is what happened, Oceania should have the document showing that permission by an UAE official was given and present it to current UAE officials.

Whether that would be honored or not is a different question.

Very sad situation in any case - my sympathies to Ilsun for having been put into this mess and hopefully O will compensate him at the very least.

It is a sad situation, and it's a poignant reminder of something that many, if not most travelers may not be aware of. Holding a valid passport and visa does not guarantee that a country will admit you upon your arrival. Officials can override a visa and deny admission if they so choose.

Some cruise passengers think they are not entering a country unless they disembark the ship and set foot on land, when in fact as soon as the ship is in the country's territorial waters the passengers have in fact entered the country . Some countries, Russia for example, will allow you to enter their waters and stay on the ship without having a visa. Others, obviously including the UAE, will not.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It is a sad situation, and it's a poignant reminder of something that many, if not most travelers may not be aware of. Holding a valid passport and visa does not guarantee that a country will admit you upon your arrival. Officials can override a visa and deny admission if they so choose.

Some cruise passengers think they are not entering a country unless they disembark the ship and set foot on land, when in fact as soon as the ship is in the country's territorial waters the passengers have in fact entered the country . Some countries, Russia for example, will allow you to enter their waters and stay on the ship without having a visa. Others, obviously including the UAE, will not.

Sounds like it is time to organize a BOYCOTT OF the UAE.   No one should go there until they change their policys

• Like 4

Took the shuttle to the City Center Mall (a small older one, but had a great Carrefour grocery that was immaculate and very organized). I stocked up on cashews, macadamia nuts and pistachios.  Also bought some cucumbers and hummus! Made a great lunch after I got back to the ship. All the restaurants were closed because of Ramadan except McDonald's!

Miles of oil storage containers and oil tankers sitting out in the bay.

20190512_071216.jpg

20190512_114507.jpg

20190512_114336.jpg

20190512_104603.jpg

20190512_105046.jpg

20190512_104618.jpg

20190512_105337.jpg

20190512_112957.jpg

20190512_115230.jpg