“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

It sounds like you are planning on only doing ship's tours.  Is that right?

Private guides will always stop by an ATM upon request, and I assume that a guide on a ship's tour would as well.  This could depend on your itinerary, of course.  If you are going to be in a town or city you should have time to visit an ATM.  But if you are just touring "outside" -- that could be problematic.  Then again, if that's the kind of tour you are on, you might not need cash (other than tips for the driver and guide) on hand.

Certainly if you are on a tour that is long enough in duration that you will be having lunch somewhere, you should have time to find an ATM.  Again ... depending on where you are.

Good luck,

Mura

Thank you for posting!!! I am following along and enjoying the trip vicariously! I like getting my "Trip Digest" at the end of the day and seeing what fun things y'all have been up to!

I agree with Mura on the ATM's.   We have always had time to grab some funds, but we usually do private tours. 

Have more fun and thank you all for keeping me entertained!!

Nance

3 hours ago, Mura said:

It sounds like you are planning on only doing ship's tours.  Is that right?

Private guides will always stop by an ATM upon request, and I assume that a guide on a ship's tour would as well.  This could depend on your itinerary, of course.  If you are going to be in a town or city you should have time to visit an ATM.  But if you are just touring "outside" -- that could be problematic.  Then again, if that's the kind of tour you are on, you might not need cash (other than tips for the driver and guide) on hand.

Certainly if you are on a tour that is long enough in duration that you will be having lunch somewhere, you should have time to find an ATM.  Again ... depending on where you are.

Good luck,

Mura

We are doing mostly ship tours.  We have gotten a lot less adventurous in our old age.  I suppose we could pick up our excursion tickets, then sneak out before our tour is called and hope there is an ATM in the port without a line.  

I won't criticize you for using ship's tours.  We sometimes do the same but we do a mix of private and ship's tours these days.

But given security questions these days it doesn't seem likely that you can "sneak out" to find a port ATM.  Maybe if they have a real terminal that is very close to the pier.  These days that doesn't seem to be the usual thing.

In your place I would hope for places we can find an ATM on our tour.  I would say look at your detailed tour descriptions and see if you will have time in towns (not necessarily in villages but I don't think they have to be major cities either) for an ATM.

Or,  just play it safe and get currency for all of your destinations in advance.  Me being me, I wouldn't.  I'd trust that I'd find an ATM.  It's how you want to fly ... It's YOUR trip!

Mura

39 minutes ago, katz said:

We are doing mostly ship tours.  We have gotten a lot less adventurous in our old age.  I suppose we could pick up our excursion tickets, then sneak out before our tour is called and hope there is an ATM in the port without a line.  

If I was doing your itinerary, here is what I would do:

1. Indonesia: Use my excess AUD. If I did want IDR there is a money changer inside the terminal building.

2. Philippines: Use USD. If I do end up with any PHP I would give to the crew.

3. Hong Kong: You will likely be docking at Ocean Terminal, there are a number of ATMs in the attached shopping complex for HKD.

4. Vietnam: Use USD.  May be given VND as change. I use these up as tips or purchases before leaving. There are usually market stalls set up on the dock.

5. Thailand & Singapore: When in Hong Kong I would go to Chungking Mansions in Nathon Rd, just down from the Holiday Inn. Use the money changers down the back to get some THB and SGD. 

I don't use the 1st 3 or 4 money changers by the entrance, I go inside down towards the back.

6. Singapore. There are ATMs at Harbourfront as the cruise centre is attached to a large shopping complex.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mura said:

I won't criticize you for using ship's tours.  We sometimes do the same but we do a mix of private and ship's tours these days.

But given security questions these days it doesn't seem likely that you can "sneak out" to find a port ATM.  Maybe if they have a real terminal that is very close to the pier.  These days that doesn't seem to be the usual thing.

In your place I would hope for places we can find an ATM on our tour.  I would say look at your detailed tour descriptions and see if you will have time in towns (not necessarily in villages but I don't think they have to be major cities either) for an ATM.

Or,  just play it safe and get currency for all of your destinations in advance.  Me being me, I wouldn't.  I'd trust that I'd find an ATM.  It's how you want to fly ... It's YOUR trip!

Mura

Terminal.  That's what I meant by going to an ATM in the port.  

20 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

If I was doing your itinerary, here is what I would do:

1. Indonesia: Use my excess AUD. If I did want IDR there is a money changer inside the terminal building.

2. Philippines: Use USD. If I do end up with any PHP I would give to the crew.

3. Hong Kong: You will likely be docking at Ocean Terminal, there are a number of ATMs in the attached shopping complex for HKD.

4. Vietnam: Use USD.  May be given VND as change. I use these up as tips or purchases before leaving. There are usually market stalls set up on the dock.

5. Thailand & Singapore: When in Hong Kong I would go to Chungking Mansions in Nathon Rd, just down from the Holiday Inn. Use the money changers down the back to get some THB and SGD. 

I don't use the 1st 3 or 4 money changers by the entrance, I go inside down towards the back.

6. Singapore. There are ATMs at Harbourfront as the cruise centre is attached to a large shopping complex.

Thank you so much, Tranquility.  This is great information!!!!

Sounds like excellent advice from Katz.  We haven't done most of these ports so I didn't know.

My comment about the location of a port terminal shop is that they aren't always that close to the ship.  If they are, that's a perfect place to look for an ATM.

Have fun!

Mura

On 2/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, Paulchili said:

They sometimes have very good chicken pot stickers at the Terrace - the sauce is very good with those. You may have to ask for it - they usually have a different sauce out.

There was a delicious Chinese New Year's buffet tonight in Terrace where they had pork and beef pot stickers.  I had beef and chose the Asian garlic dipping sauce for them.  The suckling pork and spring rolls were also excellent! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

There was a delicious Chinese New Year's buffet tonight in Terrace where they had pork and beef pot stickers.  I had beef and chose the Asian garlic dipping sauce for them.  The suckling pork and spring rolls were also excellent! 

Glad you enjoyed it - even more glad that they did not serve the animal of this year 2020 :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Paulchili

Connie and I rented a car and drove to the Waimea Canyon...got there early and missed the tour buses!  Titan joined us at the canyon.  On the way back we stopped at a couple shopping centers, went to the Verizon store for a few phone accessories, visited the Kauai Coffee plantation where Titan met a new friend who I'll introduce soon, ate lunch at a food truck area and, most importantly, stopped at Walmart for some supplies.  😉

Beautiful wild roosters, hens and baby chicks run around all over the island...all the same type...but they became a nuisance while I was driving and parking because they sit under cars and run right out on the road.  I managed to avoid causing any untimely deaths and, surprisingly, didn't see any "rooster road kill" anywhere we went.  But I did have a grilled chicken rice bowl for lunch and mentioned to Connie that I was hoping that it wasn't the brother to the roosters that were walking around the food truck.  😮

20190205_071814.jpg

20190205_102227.jpg

20190205_100859.jpg

20190205_100811.jpg

20190205_113631.jpg

20190205_115724.jpg

20190205_131511.jpg

20190205_134527.jpg

20190205_134520.jpg

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 4

Asian Buffet and lunar new year celebration was fun.

Had a great time watching challenging arrival into port this morning, and then the movie tour.  Fun watching the movie clip on the screen, followed by seeing the exact same site out the window. Amazing number of flicks shot on this beautiful island. 

2B3979CD-C312-46FB-831D-2A25A0E1C371.jpeg

18F17EB5-9775-41B7-96FB-902219B52253.jpeg

9D2AA3D5-5163-4350-AB6B-BDBCB613B597.jpeg

B58E67C3-718B-4B07-A996-D1C0D88C070B.jpeg

9A0592F2-F80D-41FF-A071-3A840E6132CC.jpeg

162DADF1-003C-48DF-A215-C9ECE33C15A4.jpeg

D36CB7D0-CBDA-4D9E-8B5B-9ED159D03C25.jpeg

855A6FC0-2E98-42C2-AD0D-62B70BA3F78D.jpeg

• Like 2

Connie and I rented a car again today but didn't get too far from downtown Honolulu. We've each been here before, so first we went to the Ala Moana mall and did some clothing and muumuu shopping, ate a delicious lunch in the food court (shrimp tempura and the best pot stickers I've ever had), then got mani/pedi's!  Went over to the Iolani Palace for a self guided tour and toured a beautiful Episcopal cathedral. The palace was the first in the world to have electricity and a working bathroom like we have today. Wanted to go to Chinatown and Waikiki beach but ran out of time. Today the chef got us fresh tuna, so that will be offered in Terrace...yum!

20190206_105256.jpg

20190206_110635.jpg

20190206_150949.jpg

20190206_154416.jpg

20190206_152851.jpg

20190206_153646.jpg

20190206_153738.jpg

20190206_153902.jpg

20190206_152846.jpg

20190206_160504.jpg

20190206_160447.jpg

• Like 3

Enjoyed your lovely photos of Oahu, where I was born and raised.  St. Andrews cathedral, pictured in your photos, is where my parents were married in 1940.  My Dad was from So Cal  and my Mother from Seattle, Washington.  They met and married here.  My Dad worked for Dole Pineapple Co.    St Andrews was our family church in the early days.  

Aloha,  Palakika ( Francie)

• Like 3

Just now, palakika said:

Enjoyed your lovely photos of Oahu, where I was born and raised.  St. Andrews cathedral, pictured in your photos, is where my parents were married in 1940.  My Dad was from So Cal  and my Mother from Seattle, Washington.  They met and married here.  My Dad worked for Dole Pineapple Co.    St Andrews was our family church in the early days.  

Aloha,  Palakika ( Francie)

Yes, it was St. Andrews....a gorgeous church! That window was unlike anything I've ever seen!  What a beautiful place to get married. 

14 hours ago, Riverroad said:

Bob, do you have an update on Sukey? Was she able to rejoin you? We were on the first segment-NY-LA- and chatted with her at the Meet and Mingle. Hope she’s okay.

She is okay, and back on board.

Since I’ve been here before, I decided to not take a tour.

Went with Betsy, Linda, Ann, and Karen to Wakiki Beach.  We had a very enjoyable lunch at the Mai Tai Bar of the historic and beautiful Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  After lunch, we shopped at the International Market,  and then toured the iconic  Aloha Tower and waterfront area on the way back to the ship.  They showed “Bohemian Rhapsody” in the Insignia Lounge.

1A132ADE-3701-43EA-8F3D-42F4251D26C7.jpeg

4D3E1241-5597-4872-9D6F-CE3D0E37BF43.jpeg

B633186A-E88B-4159-A641-C7BF933599CA.jpeg

CE278622-FA52-4634-A2AF-1078EDB8FBFF.jpeg

CE5B5431-817F-4ADB-86D0-375A246F32E4.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bob brown said:

She is okay, and back on board.

Glad to hear she is ok...Sukey, if you're reading this, I've been praying for you and hope that we'll have an opportunity to meet before Miami.  Welcome back!

21 minutes ago, bob brown said:

They showed “Bohemian Rhapsody” in the Insignia Lounge.

I just got back from watching this...very good movie.  The music sure did bring back memories from high school!  Hope they show more movies in the lounge (new, recent ones) and on the TV...we enjoy seeing movies alot more than magicians, comedians or production shows.