“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

1 hour ago, KatieBelle said:

Congratulations y'all for living our dream.  Thank you for sharing this adventure with all of us at this venue.  It is a pleasure to check in with your progress every day.  You answered one of my questions.  Here is another:  How did you prepare to manage the many different currencies for this trip?  

-Katie

You are most welcome...

I only get a small amount of local currency, mainly to tip the tour guides and driver's.   Any purchases I've used credit cards, where accepted....

In some places, US currency is accepted readily.

Audrey has decided not to join me on a private excursion tomorrow in Danang/Hue arranged by Go-Bucks. At no charge, I'm making her lone spot available to the first person to phone 7098 (leave message). Excursion involves temples, central market, beach, pilgrimage site, Pagoda, etc.  Only costs will be food and tip. Thanks, Patrick

20 hours ago, bob brown said:

You are most welcome...

I only get a small amount of local currency, mainly to tip the tour guides and driver's.   Any purchases I've used credit cards, where accepted....

In some places, US currency is accepted readily.

Me too, but some places I get more local cash depending on what I'm doing or intending to buy. Some places allow the use of American credit cards so I'll use it then and save cash for small shops.  I've found ATM's and cash conversion places easily in most ports.

We took a private tour with Xuan in Danang and Hoi An....excellent!  Visited a huge cave at the top of Marble Mountain,  China Beach, town of Hoi An, a fishing area with basket boats and a pagoda with big Buddha. Lunch at a restaurant in Hoi An was very good. 

20190416_090625.jpg

20190416_092021.jpg

20190416_094843.jpg

20190416_104755.jpg

20190416_115809.jpg

20190416_120928.jpg

20190416_122402.jpg

20190416_131712.jpg

20190416_144207.jpg

20190416_150048.jpg

20190416_151516.jpg

20190416_154310.jpg

20190416_155724.jpg

• Like 4

A fellow passenger needs to have a document notarized and has asked me to see if any of us on CC are a notary or if we know of another passenger who is one. It is a document having to do with buying a home. If you can help, please let me know and I'll pass the info to her.

lkirkrn@yahoo.com or call cabin 8041

Da Nang.

I believe you were docked at Tien Sa ?

Was the original schedule showing Chan May, and if so about how much notice of the change were people given ?

I far prefer Tien Sa as it's a lot more convenient for Hoi An & Da Nang; but of course further from Hue.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

A fellow passenger needs to have a document notarized and has asked me to see if any of us on CC are a notary or if we know of another passenger who is one. It is a document having to do with buying a home. If you can help, please let me know and I'll pass the info to her.

lkirkrn@yahoo.com or call cabin 8041

I'm a notary although not on board the ship so of no help to you.

But I question whether any passenger who is a notary will have his or her stamp in luggage. You really can't notarize anything without that.

I certainly don't bring my stamp with me when I'm traveling!  Besides, you are a notary in a specific jurisdiction.  I'm a NY notary.  I don't think I could notarize anything in a different state, let alone foreign climes.

Mura

17 hours ago, Mura said:

I'm a notary although not on board the ship so of no help to you.

But I question whether any passenger who is a notary will have his or her stamp in luggage. You really can't notarize anything without that.

I certainly don't bring my stamp with me when I'm traveling!  Besides, you are a notary in a specific jurisdiction.  I'm a NY notary.  I don't think I could notarize anything in a different state, let alone foreign climes.

Mura

I was just passing on a request from a passenger....if someone onboard is able to help, please contact me. Not intended to start a notary discussion...thx.   🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Da Nang.

I believe you were docked at Tien Sa ?

Was the original schedule showing Chan May, and if so about how much notice of the change were people given ?

I far prefer Tien Sa as it's a lot more convenient for Hoi An & Da Nang; but of course further from Hue.

We docked in Tien Sa.

• Thanks 1

ATW20 itinerary currently shows us docking in Tien Sa as well.  So, is there a shuttle from the port into DeNang?  How did you all get into Hoi An?  O offer shorex to Hue?  Nothing is posted on the O website for this port except a general info paragraph. 

We'd prefer to DIY here, but OTOH, I would like to see historic Hue but read that Hoi An is charming.....help?

7 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I was just passing on a request from a passenger....if someone onboard is able to help, please contact me. Not intended to start a notary discussion...thx.   🙂

And I wasn't intending to start one!  Just wanted to point out that even if there is a notary on board, it's quite likely he or she won't be able to help you.  At least not while on board.  In many cities there are "notary" signs on store fronts who can notarize something in the jurisdiction you are in.  That's probably the best bet for your fellow passenger.

End of discussion, I promise.

Mura

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, cbb said:

ATW20 itinerary currently shows us docking in Tien Sa as well.  So, is there a shuttle from the port into DeNang?  How did you all get into Hoi An?  O offer shorex to Hue?  Nothing is posted on the O website for this port except a general info paragraph. 

We'd prefer to DIY here, but OTOH, I would like to see historic Hue but read that Hoi An is charming.....help?

We booked a private tour of Danang/Hoi An with Xuan so had a very large van take us. Yes, there was a shuttle into Danang, but not to Hue or Hoi An. I don't know what ship tours there were. We loved Hoi An...very quaint and authentic because it wasn't damaged in the war. Ate a delicious lunch there and a mid morning drink on the rooftop of a cafe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

We booked a private tour of Danang/Hoi An with Xuan so had a very large van take us. Yes, there was a shuttle into Danang, but not to Hue or Hoi An. I don't know what ship tours there were. We loved Hoi An...very quaint and authentic because it wasn't damaged in the war. Ate a delicious lunch there and a mid morning drink on the rooftop of a cafe.

Your pictures of Hoi An brought back wonderful memories from a land trip a few years ago. Thank you sharing, I particularly love the “slice of life” pictures.

An Ohio connection: We stayed 4 nights in Hoi An.  At our hotel, there was a group from an Ohio based Viet Nam Relief fund (D.O.V.E fund) made up of ex Vietnam vets, including nurses that served.  They were an interesting group.  From what I learned,  they select a project each year to fund and then a group returns each year to check progress. 

4 hours ago, cbb said:

ATW20 itinerary currently shows us docking in Tien Sa as well.  So, is there a shuttle from the port into DeNang?  

“There will be a complimentary shuttle bus service running from the pier to Trung Vuong Square (approx. 30min each way), starting at 8:00 am until 4:00 pm (last bus back to the ship).  Due to new traffic regulations, regular buses are not permitted to circulate in the downtown area from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.  Please refer to the shuttle bus schedule at the Destinations Desk (4) for more details...”

• Like 1

bobbrown--

we took that shorex and thought they did a great job of showing us those places we had seen on our TV.  Some of our guys on the cruise were returning to Vietnam for the 1st time since they had served there. 

great photos!  Say "HI" to my friend!

• Like 1