New ‘Allura’ class ships

marylizcat

Who saw this coming?!

Hot on the heels of the R ship upgrades we have 2 two new ships to think about. Not much in the way of details except that, surely, the fares will be higher - given the decreased number of pax to tonnage. So, time to start speculating...!

~ will this be a new sub-brand?

~ is it designed to fit even more snugly between Oceania and Regent or will it be more like 'Regent by Oceania'?

~ how else will the new ships be differentiated from 'old' Oceania?

~ what is on your new wish list for the new ships...?!

Well done FDR on having the vision and financial clout to be able to make things like this happen.

Lyn;

I had the exact same initial impression: KA Ching , KA Ching!

Next thought was : What in the world are they going to do with them in Winter? Perhaps, since the Marina will stop going to the FP, and has long departed AU and NZ, this ship will venture there! Maybe replace the Regatta on the AU circumnavigation?! So that’s one ship in winter, what about the 2nd? 

A bit of combined humor in the past week. Opening of year end stock portfolios in our retirement accounts and reading of near certain substantial price increases! Not!

Just now, MVPinBoynton said:

With the new ships only being 1,000 tons larger with 50 less passengers, it sounds to me like perhaps they are going to be having more suites.  

wouldn't  that be 2000 GRT  larger ?

O class is 65000 GRT  compared to A class  67000 GRT

I can't believe they didn't consult us here on CC about this!

So if we're starting a wish list: 

I'd say look at the O class and figure out what works well and what doesn't work well. 

Larger showers and no tubs in all rooms below PH

Rethink the whole Barristas/Library area.

Some open forward views up high. 

How about combing the best seating features of the R theatres with a terrace layout like the O ships.  

I really like Red Ginger but dislike the inside dark décor feeling. 

Maybe a new Specialty. 

Learn how to make a decent pizza. 

• Like 1

Considering how full shipyard order books are across the world, it is not too surprising that deliveries of the new ships are so far out and that Oceania had to renovate the small ships in the interim.  Once they are delivered, it will be interesting to learn what the fate of current fleet ships will be.

Edited by Hanoverian

23 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

@ORV - Carol and I participated in a focus group that discussed the design of the Allura-class ships. There were 100 participants. The event took 12 hours over a 2-day period. The ships are going to be smaller versions of Celebrity Edge. 

When and where did this focus group take place and how were the participants chosen (if you know the answer).

24 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

@ORV - Carol and I participated in a focus group that discussed the design of the Allura-class ships. There were 100 participants. The event took 12 hours over a 2-day period. The ships are going to be smaller versions of Celebrity Edge. 

OMG, I certainly hope not.  I was on the Edge for 2 days in November and will be on her again for a week this Sunday.  It is a beautiful ship; but the Riviera is so much nicer in so many ways.  I am assuming that you were making a joke about this; but Oceania doesn't need to copy Celebrity on anything.

• Like 1

Me joke? Just ask anyone that knows me, never. 🤣

Mike, while we're here, I got the tour with Alex in Lisbon that your recommended. Just made the deposit on it. Seems like a great price. Looking forward to it. 

It was too far to go to the Roll Call. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Lyn;

I had the exact same initial impression: KA Ching , KA Ching!

Next thought was : What in the world are they going to do with them in Winter? Perhaps, since the Marina will stop going to the FP, and has long departed AU and NZ, this ship will venture there! Maybe replace the Regatta on the AU circumnavigation?! So that’s one ship in winter, what about the 2nd? 

A bit of combined humor in the past week. Opening of year end stock portfolios in our retirement accounts and reading of near certain substantial price increases! Not!

Exactly what I'm hoping for too.  I want to cruise to French Polynesia but not on the Regatta, which is the only option in 2020. I'm not doing it. If one of these ships is sailing to FP in 2022 I would definitely consider it. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I can't believe they didn't consult us here on CC about this!

So if we're starting a wish list: 

I'd say look at the O class and figure out what works well and what doesn't work well. 

Larger showers and no tubs in all rooms below PH

Rethink the whole Barristas/Library area.

Some open forward views up high. 

How about combing the best seating features of the R theatres with a terrace layout like the O ships.  

I really like Red Ginger but dislike the inside dark décor feeling. 

Maybe a new Specialty. 

Learn how to make a decent pizza. 

I agree  except for the pizza 

what they call pizza in N.A  is not traditional 😉

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I agree  except for the pizza 

what they call pizza in N.A  is not traditional 😉

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

We  have been consulted here in the past  why not now ??

Great to read this. It is about time for them to do this.  Very much needed.  As I remember when they built the first 2 O class ships there was supposed to be a third that was canceled.  Do not know why.  Never gave us an answer. Will be great to have new builds for us to choose from and maybe get rid of some of the R ships.  Can't wait until 2022.  

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Me joke? Just ask anyone that knows me, never. 🤣

Mike, while we're here, I got the tour with Alex in Lisbon that your recommended. Just made the deposit on it. Seems like a great price. Looking forward to it. 

It was too far to go to the Roll Call. 

That is great news!  You will be very happy with him.  It was one our best tours ever. We will have Alex the next day for a Lisbon area tour, since we had previously seen Sintra with him.