New ‘Allura’ class ships

marylizcat

6 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

That is great news!  You will be very happy with him.  It was one our best tours ever. We will have Alex the next day for a Lisbon area tour, since we had previously seen Sintra with him.

Mike/ORV - can you share the info on Alex as we will be back in Lisbon in 2020.

TIA

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Mike/ORV - can you share the info on Alex as we will be back in Lisbon in 2020.

TIA

Absolutely, here is a link to their website:  http://www.toptentours.eu

Ask for Alex, he is great.  You can see what we did with him when we were there in Oct 2014 on our website that is linked to in my signature.

2 hours ago, Hanoverian said:

Paulchili, also contact Kate about Alex.  If it is the Alex that I think it is, we have been with him several times and consider him to be a friend now.

Thank you - I will.

I assume that you are back home by now? 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming 😄

Edited by Paulchili

I dunno ... we've been to Lisbon many times since 1999, and we always do it on our own. Have never had any problems.

I DO agree that if you only have one day, a guide can be very helpful.  We've always gone in early 2-3 days or stayed late 2-3 days.  We've also done 3 road trips now through northern Portugal, which always ended with several days in Lisbon.  So we know the city pretty well.

But again, if you only have one day there (or maybe part of a second day) ... a guide can be very helpful.

My cousin was just in Lisbon for a couple of days and based on my suggestions, had no problems doing it on her own ...

It depends on how much you want to do on your own!  No judgments here ... Even if you want to go to Sintra, it's easy to do by train.  Based on our June 2017 visit we decided never to go to Sintra again. The crowds were terrible.  But my cousin went there in December and had a lovely time ... it can depend on the time of year.

Mura

I'm thankful Oceania decided not to go bigger.  Essentially these new ships are the same size and capacity as the current RIVIERA and MARINA.  Great move Oceania.  

I like that standard cabins will continue to be large, and hopefully with the wonderful bathrooms like RIVIERA and MARINA.  Also I hope to see continued emphasis on offering the finest cuisine at sea, with new an innovative venues.  

Physically I would love to see a true promenade deck on these ships, and lounges/bars with great sea views.  One of the things I really don't like about RIVIERA and MARINA is that some of the most popular lounges/bars have no views or a view of the lifeboats.  There is the observation lounge but it's large and not very intimate.  I would love to see that space become more intimate.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

interesting

Probably will be out of my price range if there are less passenger to cover the costs 😉

Plus we may see price increases the next couple of years to pay for these ships??

5 minutes ago, lais said:

Plus we may see price increases the next couple of years to pay for these ships??

Hard to say.  Prices are driven by demand.  They may actually go down as Oceania will have to fill two additional ships on a weekly basis, provided they don't get rid of any ships.  Also the economy will determine pricing and who knows where that is going?  

9 hours ago, eroller said:

I'm thankful Oceania decided not to go bigger.  Essentially these new ships are the same size and capacity as the current RIVIERA and MARINA.  Great move Oceania.  

I like that standard cabins will continue to be large, and hopefully with the wonderful bathrooms like RIVIERA and MARINA.  Also I hope to see continued emphasis on offering the finest cuisine at sea, with new an innovative venues.  

Physically I would love to see a true promenade deck on these ships, and lounges/bars with great sea views.  One of the things I really don't like about RIVIERA and MARINA is that some of the most popular lounges/bars have no views or a view of the lifeboats.  There is the observation lounge but it's large and not very intimate.  I would love to see that space become more intimate.  

Sounds like a good plan for a new ship.  

Paulchili, it was a great trip.  Thoroughly enjoyed every moment.  The last leg was warm and relaxing, but we did sorely miss our new friends from the previous legs.  We did meet some new folks during the last two weeks, including a lady who lives only 25 miles away from us.  What are the chances of that happening?  Yeah, reality bites as it is going down to 18 tonight and the wind is howling.  And we seem to have lost contact with room service.  Please stay in touch.

I agree about changing the library and Baristas area. We used both of those areas often on the R ships, once on the O ships.

We laugh that, for us, a tub is the most expensive drying rack ever.

• Like 1

I don't really see real Promenades being a feature of modern cruise ships. I do miss the lower deck outside access on the O ships. A full walk around is not necessary for me, but I can see how some folks prefer it. 

Very good point about Martinis not having a good view. But it is close to the GDR. 

I'm one of those who would love to have a Promenades--on extended cruises it is a great way to burn those calories and to have "me" time even if there are other walkers/joggers all around me. 

I would love the longer track rather than the shorty on Deck 10 of the R ships and having a covering over my head would be great--especially in the tropics where it was waaay into the 90s at 6am! 

All the new Viking Ocean ships have a full wrap-around promenade deck.  It’s a great feature and people love it.  These are newly designed ships and brand new, so just goes to show you people still appreciate a promenade deck.  In fact they are making a comeback.  Even the new mass-market ships of Carnival, NCL, and MSC feature a big wide promenade deck.  People want a connection to the sea when on a cruise and cruise lines are finally starting to realize this again.  

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I don't really see real Promenades being a feature of modern cruise ships. I do miss the lower deck outside access on the O ships. A full walk around is not necessary for me, but I can see how some folks prefer it.

It isn’t a huge deal but we love the Queen Mary 2’s expansive teak promenade.

I hope O continues using teak decking on the new “A” class ships. Teak decking looks great and is easy on the feet.

We almost always have cocktails in Horizons because of the views of the ocean and landscapes. The only time we go to Martinis is after dark. When in the cabin, our shades are almost always open except when the sun is shining directly in making it to hot. We sail to see the Ports of Call, the ocean, and the landscapes . We always use our veranda, even on cooler days! We often try to find a nice sunny spot, out of the wind, on the small promenade on the R ships to sit and socialize. So for us, a full promenade would be great. 

Each to their own, but sitting in a cabin, curtains drawn, watching tv or movies is the last place you’ll find us on a cruise ship!

1 hour ago, cbb said:

I would love the longer track rather than the shorty on Deck 10 of the R ships and having a covering over my head would be great--especially in the tropics where it was waaay into the 90s at 6am! 

That's when a treadmill in the climate-controlled gym with ocean views comes in handy.

39 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

True, but the gym lacks the ocean breeze, the salt air, the sound of the surf, and the changing view.

I love  a traditional Promenade Deck, but there is good and bad to them.

Think of it this way:  verandahs monetize that space, which results in overall lower fares for everyone.

As always, 

6a01156e439be2970c01a73dcd11b7970d-250wifollow the money-  🤑

17 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Since NCL has input maybe they will had one of those water sides from the top of the Polo Grill over the Library and drop into the pool :classic_ohmy:.

The only input from NCL will be what Mr. FDR wants to give.   Glad he is here to build these new ships.