New ‘Allura’ class ships

marylizcat

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

It isn't necessarily bad manners

Everyone is socialized differently.

In the large city where I was raised, for example, speaking to a stranger without provocation  was viewed as peculiar.  

Well I grew up in the sticks where almost everyone waves as you go down the road, whether you know them or not. My wife will say, "who was that?" my reply, "I don't have the slightest idea".

I do understand what you are saying, but if I'm walking down the hall and you meet someone passing I think it's a bit rude to not acknowledge their presence with a head nod or a simple "hi". 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well I grew up in the sticks where almost everyone waves as you go down the road, whether you know them or not. My wife will say, "who was that?" my reply, "I don't have the slightest idea".

I do understand what you are saying, but if I'm walking down the hall and you meet someone passing I think it's a bit rude to not acknowledge their presence with a head nod or a simple "hi". 

+ 1

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

I’m with you Orv. 

In our experience, it is usual for people encountering each other in the hallway to acknowledge the others' existence ... it doesn't call for an embrace and long conversation!  Just as the crew you meet in the hallway always say "hello" or "good evening" or whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

In our experience, it is usual for people encountering each other in the hallway to acknowledge the others' existence ... it doesn't call for an embrace and long conversation!  Just as the crew you meet in the hallway always say "hello" or "good evening" or whatever.

Do you do that when you are out and about in Brooklyn, Mura?  

Jim, yes and no.  Bear in mind that I grew up in Los Angeles.  We always smiled and said hello to strangers on the street there!  I moved to NYC when I was in my late 20s and found out that when I spoke to strangers -- say when seated at a restaurant counter (these were very idle comments, not attempts at real conversation) -- people did look at me askance.  "Is she an axe murderer?"  I learned pretty quickly not to do that, but that was something you routinely did in Southern California!  (Not sure about now.)

As to Brooklyn, bear in mind that I'm in Brooklyn Heights which is very different from midtown Manhattan or some other areas of Brooklyn.  It's not unheard of to nod hello to strangers on the street ... but not nearly as common as it was in L.A. in the '70s.

Mura