Men's Attire in SE Asia

ger_77

I've searched and have not been able to find an answer, so am posting the question here.  DH is wondering what he should wear on shore excursions while in SE Asia in February.  We know jeans are out of the question because they will be too hot, but he isn't sure if he should wear shorts or long khaki (docker) type pants.  I told him I would pose the question to the experts here.

Smooth Sailing!    🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

For really hot, humid weather, I'd get him a few pair of "trekking" type pants.   I'm talking about the kind made from thin performance fabric that dries very quickly.  They feel much lighter and breezier on than Dockers or similar.  You can find them from brands like Columbia, REI, Patagonia etc.  They usually come in neutral colors like khaki, gray, olive green etc.  and often have a lot of pockets, including some that zip or velcro closed, which is also convenient for excursions.

• Like 1

For temperature, you'd want long shorts or a lighterweight long pant. If you are going certain places (like temples in Thailand) you both must cover knees & shoulders, so no shorts! We did Azamara SIN-HKG in 2016 and my husband mostly wore travel pants on shore (we have a few varieties - from eddie bauer, Costco, Columbia) that he could also wear for dinner so he didn't have to pack so much 😉 He used to have those zip-off pants but he NEVER used them as shorts, so we sent to goodwill a couple years back. The newer styles of the travel pants are much sleeker (and to me, attractive).

Also for temples, you'll both want an easy on/easy off shoe. My husband is pretty particular about shoes and only wears laceups so he took a little longer - but he was more comfortable with all the walking! He mostly wore one of his lighter weight pairs of Merrells. Could be worn without socks but he did not.... (he had loafers he wore for dinner - he could wear slip ons around the ship but not for any walking....)

PDF of his clothing for the cruise attached

DDD Asia cruise.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the info; DH has a couple of pair of linen-like slacks that are both cool, and easy wash/dry, so will be bringing them.  He has a number of shirts (he had no idea he even had them) that are the travel-type fabrics that will be coming along as well.  I'm bringing his more tropical-coloured golf shirts to wear on the ship - he doesn't want to stand out in the crowds on shore, but doesn't mind it on the ship.  Let the packing begin!

Smooth Sailing! 

🙂🙂🙂

• 1 month later...

The best men's shirts in any humid climate are made of bamboo or washable silk.  Get them to fit loose.  They are breathable and travel well. 

Amazon sells a variety of tee shirt styles in bamboo.

Silk shirts are very comfortable in hot/humid weather.  My husband has had one for 10 years that looks brand new.  Comes out of the wash a little stiff, but a warm-to-cool dryer relaxes the fabric: 

https://smile.amazon.com/28-Palms-Relaxed-Fit-Shirt-Medium/dp/B076J8TQVQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1550702612&sr=8-5&keywords=silk+shirts+for+men

• Like 1