Aruba Resort for a Day

Suzi2u

5 hours ago, Suzi2u said:

Has anyone purchased a day pass thru Resort for a Day to use at the Riu Palace in Aruba?  If so, does it include all meals...breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Though I'm not familiar with this particular resort, my experience with "day passes" at tropical resorts is that a basic "day pass" will only get you access to the property,  certain facilities (e.g., pools, showers) and the option to purchase meals, drinks, etc.

Some resorts (e.g., the Intercontinental in Tahiti) will have a range of "day passes" that will generally include a single meal (usually lunch) at a specific dining venue (the more you pay, the  better the restaurant).

I'm always intrigued by folk who consider buying resort passes :classic_unsure:

One resort which will be seriously un-crowded and where the facilities and all meals and snacks are free, is the ship. And for those who've bought all-you-can-drink beverage packages it's an opportunity to do your best to bankrupt the cruise line.

I do believe in each to their own, I know I'm not answering your question, and this is just a personal opinion.

But I'm still intrigued :classic_huh:

JB :classic_smile: 

47 minutes ago, John Bull said:

One resort which will be seriously un-crowded and where the facilities and all meals and snacks are free, is the ship. And for those who've bought all-you-can-drink beverage packages it's an opportunity to do your best to bankrupt the cruise line.

I do believe in each to their own, I know I'm not answering your question, and this is just a personal opinion.

The ship is not on shore with a beach and access to the ocean. 

The idea, at least to us, of a day pass at a resort is to experience a day on the island at a beach with the amenities provided to allow a full day of enjoyment.  The times we have done so have been some of the more relaxing and enjoyable times on the various islands on which we chose that form of activity for the day.  The prices vary according to what is included but in our experience - on Aruba for example as mentioned by the OP (but not at that resort) - it included unlimited drinks, lunch, access to shower and restroom facilities, use of the pool and beach, towels, umbrella and chairs, and water float mats.  Others have included transportation to and from the ship as well as a spa massage. 

We've visited most of the Caribbean islands numerous times and as an option to spend a relaxing day at the beach, it has been good for us, which we have enjoyed at Costa May, Aruba, Antigua, and St. Lucia with island resort all inclusive day passes.

To the OP, I would doubt that all three meals are included.  Typically it would be lunch as you don't arrive from the ship until late morning and need to be back by dinner.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

For us, our favorite part of the cruise is the variety of beautiful beaches. I went to 7 on one cruise last year and it was quite an experience! 

If you head to a beach and grab a chair, umbrella, drink, and lunch, it is easily $50+ for 2 people, and that is conservative. Believe me, I would love to grab those things from the ship, but it is not always practical. We like to spend a little more and generally get access to nicer and more facilities, food, and drink options once or twice per cruise.

We generally stay frugal on our cruises because needing unlimited, top of the line, everything for 7 days is excessive in both quantity and price to us. My favorite time to drink is on the beach.

While day resort passes might make sense in some ports, not sure that the Riu Aruba is worth the big bucks.  It is a nice all-inclusive resort located right on Palm Beach.  Like all Arubian beaches, Palm is a public beach which is also the most popular and crowded beach  (which is why we usually go elsewhere) on the island.  Palm is also close to both shopping and eating venues (on and off the beach).  One would probably save substantial money by simply going to that beach, renting loungers, and buying food/drink as needed.  For us, the thought of "all you can eat" buffets when we are on a cruise where this is the norm..is not how we want to spend our port day :).  Consider that the option will cost a couple $260!  We can go to that beach, rent two loungers/umbrella for around $30....have a light lunch and plenty of drinks and spend nowhere near $150 ...much less $260.

Hank

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

It must be a Western European/British Isles thing, but I am with you, J.B. :classic_laugh:

43 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It must be a Western European/British Isles thing, but I am with you, J.B. :classic_laugh:

Might well be, VMax. 

For me the beach is across the road, for you it's not going to be a lot further, for anyone anywhere in the UK / Irish Republic it's no further than a couple of hours' drive.

The OP in Phoenix is over 5 hours from the beaches, which kinda make a beach day more attractive.

Even so, I'll go along with Hank.

We've found Aruba lacking in tourist sights &  local charm, so best-suited to a beach-day. 

But getting to Eagle Beach (lots of toys & facilities) cost us only a couple of dollars by bus. 

No loungers & such, but we doubtless bought a bevvy or two.

BTW, Wiki reckons all Aruba's beaches are public - it's just the loungers put out that are payable.

I wonder if the bus fare is higher if you take a couple of the ship's loungers? :classic_wink: 

20 hours ago, Suzi2u said:

Has anyone purchased a day pass thru Resort for a Day to use at the Riu Palace in Aruba?  If so, does it include all meals...breakfast, lunch and dinner?

We did a day pass at the Ritz Carlton...We had 2 Cabanas on the beach and it was excellent.

We have used the "Resorts" web site to book a day pass in numerous ports, most recently in Cozumel.   Each resort provides slightly different amenities. Simply click on the resort and read the details so you can make an informed selection.

At some resorts, the total price included a nice day room where we could store our belongings and take a shower before heading back to the ship - these were for up to 4 guests, so the individual cost was far less than a generic trip to a nearby beach. Beach towels and a welcome drink might be included. At the resort we recently visited in Cozumel, the pass was good from 9: to 5: so we were invited to have breakfast. It included towels, all you can each lunch, and full beverage package. The resort also offered complimentary access to non-motorized water crafts, pool-side dance classes, guacamole making, free snorkel gear, access to multiple pools and a nice shaded beach front with ample lounge chairs. 

Darcy                                                                

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 10:01 AM, Grandma Dazzles said:

Wouldn’t purchase a day pass in Aruba.  Beaches are beautiful and public. You don’t need a pass - plenty of places to eat and drink.  Not sure what you would get from a pass unless it did include drink/food.  

I agree. We went to the butterfly farm and then simply crossed the road, walked through some hotel to the beach, and it was free and beautiful. Got chaises in the shade. Free. 

If you want food and drinks, just PAYG.

23 hours ago, John Bull said:

BTW, Wiki reckons all Aruba's beaches are public - it's just the loungers put out that are payable.

I wonder if the bus fare is higher if you take a couple of the ship's loungers? :classic_wink: 

the loungers (a whole beach of them) were totally free as well. See above.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The loungers (a whole beach of them) were totally free as well. See above.

That's good to know, my cartoon friends. :classic_cool:

Avoids awkward questions when getting off the ship with a couple of loungers in tow. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I think a lot of the hotels put loungers on the beach for their guests. They sometimes have an employee collecting money from non guests, but have found that rarely happens.  Have stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort on Palm Beach several times and used “their” beach, but as pointed out it’s a public beach.  When on a cruise have used the same beach and their chairs - have bought lunch and drinks there too!

We tried that last February but were not impressed - only activities were pool, corn hole and the beach.  It did include lunch at the outdoor restaurant and buffet but the food was very mediocre.  The pool was nice but the included alcohol was poor in quality and taste.  The ocean was beautiful so we did enjoy walking the beach and swimming.  Also consider the cost of a taxi to and from the resort.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, Suzi2u said:

We just booked this for our upcoming cruise.  My SIL goes to Aruba all the time and checked out the Riu Palace and gave me a thumbs up.  I have also talked to a few others and they had a great time.

I have been in contact with the hotel and they have been great.  Towels, lounge chair, food and drink included.  You do have to get a taxi to and from the ship.  Our ship is there for 11 hours so we thought why not.

I will post when I return and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased day passes for our upcoming April cruise for the Barcelo Grand. It’s all inclusive with unlimited food , alcohol, towels , pool and beach chairs for $84.99 each. Aruba is very expensive and with food, a couple of drinks and chairs you could spend that easily.