Skagway Excursions Opinions Please

bhsolo

Has anyone done the WPYR excursion to Denver Trail?  Train to mile 6, get off hike a couple of miles there-and-back then return on the train?
How scenic is it on the train ride as opposed to White Pass excursion to the summit at mile 20?  Big cost difference. 

Unfortunately , that is probably the least scenic part of the railroad.

Generally, the farther you ride the rail the more history, etc. that you experience.

For my money, both literally and figuratively, I think that the one way between here and Fraser shows the most scenic part of the route.

Lately, the longest current run of the railroad, thru to Carcross, has been picking up popularity with the cruising public. If you are a train buff/historian you might want to consider breaking out the bucks for this addition to your trip to Emerald Lake, which is currently the most popular trip into the far north of the Yukon from Skagway, anyway you do it.

Hope this helps?

DD

Yes, that is exactly the info I wanted.  

Thanks.

I'm not so much a train person as a scenery outdoorsy type.

I expect I will also see fabulous scenery in Juneau and Ketchikan so now I have some decisions to make. 

We are going on the Norwegian Jewel in early June and have booked with Dyea Dave.  He does a 16 passenger tour up to the Yukon and back for $89.00 per person.  If you want to take the White Pass Railroad back from Fraser, he makes a stop there and the additional cost is about $90 per person.  You can take the  tour van both ways for the $89.00. Seems a lot of folks have recommend the train back to Skagway and we are booking that. Dyea Dave told me he would take us to the train station before the tour and we could pick up our train tickets in the early am.  I believe we depart at 7:30 am and the train from Fraser arrives back in Skagway around 5:15 so not sure that would fit your port time.  There are lots of reviews that might help you.

2 hours ago, nagsheadbeachbum said:

We are going on the Norwegian Jewel in early June and have booked with Dyea Dave.  He does a 16 passenger tour up to the Yukon and back for $89.00 per person.  If you want to take the White Pass Railroad back from Fraser, he makes a stop there and the additional cost is about $90 per person.  You can take the  tour van both ways for the $89.00. Seems a lot of folks have recommend the train back to Skagway and we are booking that. Dyea Dave told me he would take us to the train station before the tour and we could pick up our train tickets in the early am.  I believe we depart at 7:30 am and the train from Fraser arrives back in Skagway around 5:15 so not sure that would fit your port time.  There are lots of reviews that might help you.

Dyea Dave is a real Jewel. I've chatted with him on the phone twice. We have that same plan with him and WPYR in May.

We've been up to the Yukon many times. If your in a van the best side to be on going up is on the passenger side. If your on the train going up you want to sit on the left side if the car facing forward. If your coming down be on the right side of the train. We've been with Dyea Dave a number of times, they put on a nice tour. They stop for lunch in Carcross at a small local cafe. One of my favorite excursions is the Bennett lake train to Carcross and the bus back. Last when we took that excursion there were only 8 people in the Princess car, pretty much had it to ourselves.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, wolfie11 said:

I've done all four.  Favorites were Glacier Wilderness Safari, Chilkoot Trail, Kroschel, and glassblowing.  My absolute fav in Skagway is Bennett Lake train trip.

We just booked the Bennett Lake train journey through Alaska shore tours. Very excited,

We've done the full train trip twice and enjoyed it thoroughly both times. The views are stunning. I recommend bringing a windproof jacket and warm hat - because then you can stand outside between the cars and get an extra thrill.  

• 6 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, NeedsVitaminSea said:

We are also sailing on Ovation in June.  I just booked Kroschel direct rather than through the ship.  They provide a ferry over to Haines and the bus transportation up to their facility.  My kids (12 & 9) love animals and weren't interested in doing the train trip since it is so long.  Hopefully this will be a nice day. 

Did you call to book tour? Their website is not very clear in terms of the tour detail.

21 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Did you call to book tour? Their website is not very clear in terms of the tour detail.

I emailed them - I'm pretty sure I got the address on the main Kroschel Films website (it's still there under the "Visit" tab).  I worked with Karen.  She manages bookings for a few excursions so you'll want to be specific about which tour you want.

We booked the morning tour, which put us in with another ships' tour.  They arrange to meet you on the dock and walk you over to the ferry to Haines.  They take care of the tickets.  Once you make it to Haines, there is a quick restroom stop and then board the bus for the drive out to the center.  Our driver was an interesting guy - sorta surfer meets Alaska.  He gave a bunch of commentary on the way out and some on the way back.  The tour was interesting but not as long with some of the bigger animals as I would have liked.  The ferry ride was really pretty.