Cruise Critic Community
RetiredRich

Drugs and airport security

We always drove to the terminal on other cruises.  But in April we will be flying to San Diego.  I always carry in my pocket a bottle of Metformin and Nitroglycern.  When I go through airport security is that ok or should it be packed away.  Also we both have weekly drug containers for our daily doses.  Should they be in carry on or in the main luggage?  Can't wait for the 16 day cruise to Hawaii.  It will be our 50th state we have visited.  We cruised to Alaska and drove to all the others.   We booked this cruise to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

We have never been questioned about prescription drugs in all our years of travel.

We would NEVER leave required prescription drugs in checked luggage.  Always in carry on.   Checked luggage can go missing or disappear entirely.

Agree with previous poster.  Do not put it in checked baggage.  It should always be in your carry-on.  

Carry meds in original containers that show your name and prescription. We've never been challenged, but that is the rule. If you use a weekly container to pre-sort meds, set it up once you're on the ship. For going through the security check, put the meds you usually carry in your carry-on and retrieve them after you've been through. It's easier to go through if you have nothing in your pockets, even if it's stuff that won't set off a sensor. 

And I agree with the others. Always in your carry-on, not in checked luggage. It's a good idea to travel with an extra prescription, just in case you lose/drop/run out of something.

And congratulations on 50 years and 50 states!

All good answers! If I were you, I would take those two prescription bottles out of my pockets and into my carry-on luggage

Just my opinion:  I take 8 prescription medications and a few vitamins and supplements which total 14 pills daily.  It’s too cumbersome for me to carry all the pill bottles and the sorter.  So I set up the pills in the daily pill sorter BEFORE I leave on my trip.I have never been challenged by TSA.  I do carry a list of the medications and dosage with me as well.  

I always carry the pills with me - NEVER in checked luggage - and I don’t put that bag down unattended until I am in my hotel room or cabin.  

And, I ALWAYS take several days of extra pills with me.  

This works for me.

50 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

All good answers! If I were you, I would take those two prescription bottles out of my pockets and into my carry-on luggage

Definitely agree with putting in carry on luggage. Be prepared before arriving at TSA screening put everything in pockets in your carry on luggage. Speeds the process and gives traveler the time to do it right.

We keep all medications in their original bottles. DH takes 17 different medications -- some of them 3 times a day and some of them look like horse pills.  He takes medications 5 times a day.  No way would his medications fit into those daily pill boxes.

I also take along the brochure that comes along with the medications giving the names of everything as well as what they are for.

I keep all medications in a small medical bag.

TSA has opened the medical bag several times over the years and looked at several of the bottles.

The first time we traveled after 9/11 -- one month after -- a TSA agent here in Pittsburgh opened all of the bottles and poured all the pills onto a table -- we could say nothing as we would not have been allowed to board the plane.  Then he scooped everything up and stuffed them into the bottles -- all medications were mixed up.  When we got to San Diego, we went and complained to an official there.  We also wrote a letter to US Airways since this agent was located right outside the door to the ramp to get on the plane -- we had been pulled aside from the other passengers.  US Airways did answer our letter and things did change in Pittsburgh as the agents no matter where they are located are not to touch or pour the pills onto anything.  Of course all we could do was wipe off the pills as best as possible an d thankfully I recognized the majority of the pills to get them into their correct bottles. 

Congratulations on your 50th Anniversary!  Enjoy sailing out of San Diego...it is a beautiful city and sail away port!  In 30 cruises we have never been challenged about medications...flying all over the world.  DH takes all his prescription bottles; I live "on the edge" and put all mine in the daily pill box....I have never been questioned.

Enjoy the cruise!

Karen

22 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We keep all medications in their original bottles. DH takes 17 different medications -- some of them 3 times a day and some of them look like horse pills.  He takes medications 5 times a day.  No way would his medications fit into those daily pill boxes.

I also take along the brochure that comes along with the medications giving the names of everything as well as what they are for.

TSA has opened the medical bag several times over the years and looked at several of the bottles.

The first time we traveled after 9/11 -- one month after -- a TSA agent here in Pittsburgh opened all of the bottles and poured all the pills onto a table -- we could say nothing as we would not have been allowed to board the plane.  Then he scooped everything up and stuffed them into the bottles -- all medications were mixed up.  When we got to San Diego, we went and complained to an official there.  We also wrote a letter to US Airways since this agent was located right outside the door to the ramp to get on the plane -- we had been pulled aside from the other passengers.  US Airways did answer our letter and things did change in Pittsburgh as the agents no matter where they are located are not to touch or pour the pills onto anything.  Of course all we could do was wipe off the pills as best as possible an d thankfully I recognized the majority of the pills to get them into their correct bottles. 

I wish I could read this KK, but it’s too hard in this script for those of us using phones or IPads.  Until CC fixes things, please would you consider changing to regular font?  Make it as big as you want but the Sans Serif is very hard to read.

OP, because I cross the border, I do have a list of my OTC’s and any prescriptions in case I am asked.  It’s all been good and yes, carry on only. 😉 

DW and I both keep our meds (in their original prescription containers) in small Eagle Creek packing cubes. We just pop these into our carry-on bags when travelling, but have found the bags to be a convenient way to store the meds at home, pulling out the bags on Sunday mornings to fill our weekly containers.

OP, if your nitro is in a pump spray format, you'll need to keep it with other liquids per TSA standards,

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Wow! You have a lot of self control. I'd have shrieked the minute he dumped out the first bottle of pills.