Combating the Chair Hogs

Phaedrus78

45 minutes ago, awreaper said:

"I will finish with this regarding the pool area, on day two I woke early to mark four chairs for my family with towels and clips and bags, as this is how it's done on cruises. Upon arrival later that morning my chairs were now down to two, my bag was missing, and I almost got into a fight. Wow! what a cruise dream! " 

The "later that morning" would indicate that the person was reserving chairs which is against NCL policy. Again, people do not know or don't care what the policy is. If the person returned in the allotted time (unlikely), they would have a legitimate complaint but I don't believe that they did.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

This thread makes me feel very fortunate that I see zero appeal in having a chair close to the pool in the first place....

Hahaha! I was thinking the exact same thing! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

This! I have always seen an abundance of lounge chairs available on every cruise I have ever been on. Are they right next to the pool? Probably not, but not everyone can be right on top of the pool. There are plenty of chairs on the deck above.

Exactly, personally I wouldn't want to be in the crowded pool area either. That is the nice thing (I hear) about the Escape, there are places all over the ship to find a lounge chair. As long as I have a place to sit in the sun, close, or semi close to a bar I will be happy. The crazies can fight for the chairs by the pool :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

This thread makes me feel very fortunate that I see zero appeal in having a chair close to the pool in the first place....

I am with you 100%, I just want sun and a close proximity to a bar :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JP4GA said:

I agree.  We were on the Epic a few weeks ago. We are early risers and we went on deck at 7:45 and could not find 2 empty chairs on the sun deck or pool deck.  We ended up way in the back by the rock wall.  It was fine with us since we don't want full sun seating and we don't have to be right by the pool.  What made it crazy was most of the chairs did not have anyone in them until well after 10:00 am and some even later than that. 

See that is where I would go around and move all of the stuff. Don't get me wrong I don't want to sit by the pool anyway, but that just makes me mad. Why should those people be able to save all of those chairs and then not use them for hours. Nope I would remove all the stuff, then find my place on a upper deck where I can watch

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some people just cant be polite and cooperative.....should have it like some hotels in Vegas-must enter thru a gate, pick your chairs, and use them....attendants there watching and a half hour (appx) rule applies...if not personal belongings accompany the chair ( and I don't mean an old t shirt or something disposable)...away it goes!!!  I will be happy for sun, close to bar, and good music...

I am always amazed how people think thatt they are entitled to a spot by the pool, and/or reserve chairs/tables for their group. My #1reminder for cruisers is to rememder that they did not charter the ship, ans sharing is caring. Some people just think that they are more important than anyone else, we can just hope that they will reap what they have sown 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cathi007 said:

See that is where I would go around and move all of the stuff. Don't get me wrong I don't want to sit by the pool anyway, but that just makes me mad. Why should those people be able to save all of those chairs and then not use them for hours. Nope I would remove all the stuff, then find my place on a upper deck where I can watch

I have been doing that for years. It is my hobby on a cruise!

• Haha 1

I wish I had $$/time to invest because I've just come up with a great chairhog/chair police product idea!!

One of those laminated/slate type thingys you can write on with a white board marker attached with a lanyard, preprinted with:

I am REALLY using this chair!  I just got up for a few minutes, and I will be back at __________ ship time.  Please don't take my chair or touch my things.  

So - if you say you will be back at 11:00, and now it's 11:30 there's information, and if you show up at noon and your stuff is gone, oh well...but you know that's a possibility as well.

I know someone is going to say "so what if there was a bathroom line/bar line and you get back at 11:10, then what?"

A smart person adds on a reasonable buffer - so if it's 10:45 when you do that, you don't say you'll be back at noon!

and it's easy to identify a chair hog now - because when you look at a chair at 8 am and the thingy says "back at 11:00" that becomes unreasonable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL that's another thing for my packing list...

Next time I'm in the pool I will have a personal alarm in my bag attached to the chair, nobody better touch it or they will be very embarrassed with a lot of explaining to security, why they are holding my bag with an alarm going off!

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Next time I'm in the pool I will have a personal alarm in my bag attached to the chair, nobody better touch it or they will be very embarrassed with a lot of explaining to security, why they are holding my bag with an alarm going off!

LOVE IT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

You could also bring a small locking beach safe and attach it to the chair.

If someone takes the chair then they're also taking your stuff lol. 

8 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I actually have one, the Flexsafe+  Haven't had a chance to use it on a cruise yet, though.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, Phaedrus78 said:

About to head out on our first NCL cruise in two weeks, and I’ve noticed a few times on this board that it’s been mentioned that “chair hogs” are a problem. I didn’t run into any problem on our only other cruise (Carnival Glory), but we’re on the Epic, our first “mega-ship”. 

If you didn't run into a problem on the Glory, I suspect you won't run into a problem on the Epic.  I suspect you aren't the type that has to have a chair right next to the pool or some other "prime" spot.  I've been on the Glory and my experience is there were just as many chair hogs on that ship as any other mass market ship I've been on (though I have not been on Epic).

•  
  •  
Maybe NCL can create a chair hog policy like this:

1st Offense: Piglet – Verbal Warning

2nd Offense: Pig - Official Written Warning

3rd Offense: Feral Pig– ½ Ban from Observation lounge

4th Offense: Wild Boar – Full Day Ban from Pool deck

5th Offense: Confirmed Chair Hog – Tossed into the Brig for one night

6th Offense: Bacon – Chopped into pieces and served at the buffet

• Haha 4

This was from a review I read from July 2018:
"The pools(both kiddie and adult) are small and lounge chairs in those areas are hard to get(we wud get to adult pool by 7am and still not get the choice lounge chairs close to the pool) Earlier reviewers mentioned lounge hogs placing towels on loungers and not coming back for hours/if ever.. well NCL personnel were "tagging" those chairs and if owners weren't back in an hour-their towels and belongings were removed and brought to guest services-so that was a improvement!"

Not sure if this is still the case, but one can hope!

On 1/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, Phaedrus78 said:

About to head out on our first NCL cruise in two weeks, and I’ve noticed a few times on this board that it’s been mentioned that “chair hogs” are a problem. I didn’t run into any problem on our only other cruise (Carnival Glory), but we’re on the Epic, our first “mega-ship”. 

Are chair hogs usually a problem?  What do people do to combat that issue?  Is there a policy of any sort on NCL?

Was on the escape in sept and many trips and the chair police were out tagging chairs at 9am, so it depends on the the ship your on, P>S  when you get back from your trip call NCL and tell them the ship you were on and tell them about nobody watching the chairs i think you have 40 min you can leave you chair , Don't take the towels off their chairs ,i seen to many fights happen, thats why the tagging works ,if you see a chair has a tag and its past the 40 min is up,  grab the person from the towel booth and tell them to take the towel off the chairs !!!!!