Live Review- Symphony of the Seas 1/12/19; First Oasis Class in 7 Years!

OTownNick

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Thank you for your live review. We will be on The Symphony in Sept and it will be our first cruise on one of these mega ships. I am intimidated by the shear size and the process of reservations for shows etc. so I am reading as many reviews as possible. We will be on The Mariner at Christmas and I was wondering if you had any reviews on that ship and where I could find them. Look forward to your wrap up thoughts on the Symphony.

The Mariner of the Seas is every bit as nice as Symphony, just without the various neighborhoods or shows requiring reservations. It’s like a mini- Symphony. 

2 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I’m assuming that if you had the drink package, the beer at the suite deck bar would have been “free”?  We haven’t done a suite on RCI yet, but would love to someday 🙂

That’s right. With a drink package the drinks would be included at the Suites Lounge. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, OTownNick said:

We haven’t on this ship. Yeah I had the wings and burger at Playmakers on Mariner and they’re amazing. Today they are having a wing eating contest at Playmakers. Not sure of details and if it costs anything. My man vs food days are over lol. However I have fallen off the wagon slightly this week. I have been eating just about anything I want. I’m staying away from red meat and too much bread, but I am trying desserts if they look good. Tomorrow I’m back on the wagon lol. 

We have skipped one meal every day because there’s just a lot of food. I can’t eat as much as I used to. We really love the flat breads at Coastal Kitchen. They’re actually pretty healthy for you. No Sorrentos pizza. I’ve seen it and it looks like the improved recipe. Still not “great” the last I tried this same improved version but it’s edible. 

You should try Keto, works way better than just watching cals. or fat...my BIL has lost over 100 lbs in 13 months!  So needless to say we are now on it so we won't cause any rocking on Symphony....seems like you can eat a lot more that way.  But no sugar, bread or starches at all.  Still having desserts sweetened with Erythritol...lots of yummycustards and whipped cream.  No I don't work for Keto!:classic_blink:

22 hours ago, BEENSAILING said:

Nick - after last week Symphony had now surpassed my previous favorite, the Anthem. That being said I am happy on all cruise ships. Will see u next week on Oasis.

- Cheryl

Same for us as we also had Anthem as our favorite ship. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, OTownNick said:

Day 2 started with a coffee and sunrise. Then some gym time. I skipped breakfast today. It happens occasionally on cruises if dinner the night before was large. 

At Noon on Day 2 (Sunday) we had our slot pull. Thanks to Cheryl (BeenSailing) for organizing this. We ended up only losing $11 each So not bad. 

We had had a light snack for lunch in the Suites Lounge and then watched some football on TV in our room. 

Dinner was Coastal Kitchen again. It was excellent. Interesting to note that the Diamond drink menu changed recently across the fleet but the waiters in the Suites Lounge didn’t get the memo lol. Well I got my Beefeaters and Tonic after I enlightened them lol.

We saw 2 shows tonight. Since my wife missed the comedy show last night I went with her tonight. It was better than last night. We got there as they closed the doors and there were only 2 seats left- in the FRONT ROW. Wouldn’t you know it, I got heckled by the headliner comedian for my yellow Crocs. Hilarious. 

After that we went to Hairspray. Unbelievable!! We liked it a lot better than we were expecting. My wife wants to see it again!! We have more shows to see though. 

Note that you must make reservations to the shows and be there no later than 15 minutes before show time or you may not get a seat. They close the doors at the comedy club promptly at show time and no further entry is allowed so get there early. It was a late night and tomorrow’s an early day at Roatan. 

Tonight was formal night. I wore a tux. There was a LOT of people dressed up especially all the Quincineras and there families (300+ of them). 

72EBCDFA-FF08-41C8-BCFD-E316944EBE1C.jpeg

2C149A80-6AD4-4409-A0F2-2CAE4D87F7B8.jpeg

9BB347A4-7307-4C77-82AE-A9ED41C3113F.jpeg

14104013-86C8-405A-8051-3A76481ED05D.jpeg

644D1B72-79E6-4A15-9904-E52CA3844950.jpeg

Hey Nick it's Scott! Wow you and Barb look great!

I agree with Barb about Hairspray! We absolutely loved it when it was showing on the Oasis. Good review!