Government advice for travelers after Brexit. Including no deal.

daiB

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Do you not remember how it was before we joined the EU.  There were no problems at all.

Certainly I do.

But what you haven't yet understood is that:

1  Before we joined the EU there were no problems because we had the relevant treaties and agreements in place with pretty much every country in the world.

2  After we joined, and after the transition period, our own treaties and agreements were replaced by those which we acquired as members of the EU.

3  If we leave without an agreement (and therefore a transitional period) we will lose overnight all the treaties and agreements which we have as members of the EU - but there will be nothing whatever to take their place because it will take us a couple of years at least to negotiate something akin to the ones we had before we joined the EU.

It's not anything like as simple as you think it is, and nobody's going to lose any sleep over a few thousand British cruisers, who don't spend that much ashore anyway, having to join passport queues because the present simple system won't work any more as a result of our having no agreements in place with any of the countries visited - whether within or without the EU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I will not be losing any sleep over it.  They will soon put something together as both sides will want frictionless entry and exit.

I won't be losing sleep over it either, and I've got four cruises booked in the hope that it's not a no-deal Brexit.

The first is around Brexit time, and that's going to be a good test.  If there is no deal, and all goes smoothly with the port visits I'll obviously leave the others as they are.  If not, and the port visits involve lengthy queues, I'll probably cancel the other three.  By that point there'll be a lot of feedback either way on what's happening.

If I were considering booking now, however, I'd be holding off until we know if there's a deal or not - and P&O are well aware that this is happening, hence the statements they keep making.  Unfortunately, though, the statements are so vague that they have precious little meaning.  They must be pretty unhappy at their cashflow being hit.

On 1/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, jeanlyon said:

Did it online.  Follow the instructions.  Take a photo on your mobile, must be a plain background with no light switches or pictures.  You take head and upper body.  Upload that.  Finish and send the old passport by Signed for.  So simple.  And it's £9.50 cheaper than sending by post.

it's a great service isn't it. I did mine last month. I'm a bit peeved they've stopped adding the "extra" months on though, so you now lose out if you renew before it was due. My main beef is that my previous one is also our wedding date so I could always remember it :classic_biggrin:

On 1/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, docco said:

Certainly I do.

But what you haven't yet understood is that:

1  Before we joined the EU there were no problems because we had the relevant treaties and agreements in place with pretty much every country in the world.

2  After we joined, and after the transition period, our own treaties and agreements were replaced by those which we acquired as members of the EU.

3  If we leave without an agreement (and therefore a transitional period) we will lose overnight all the treaties and agreements which we have as members of the EU - but there will be nothing whatever to take their place because it will take us a couple of years at least to negotiate something akin to the ones we had before we joined the EU.

It's not anything like as simple as you think it is, and nobody's going to lose any sleep over a few thousand British cruisers, who don't spend that much ashore anyway, having to join passport queues because the present simple system won't work any more as a result of our having no agreements in place with any of the countries visited - whether within or without the EU.

Perhaps the following, from the CLIA,  might help:-

Statement for Cruisers

CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) have today given the following statement to answer cruise passenger queries regardinBrexit.

The UK Government has issued official guidance on passenger travel to the EU by air, rail or sea after Brexit, especially if there is no Brexit deal. This guidance includes cruising and states:

Cruising

From 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, cruise operations will continue on the same basis as today. Passengers who embark on a cruise at a UK port will continue to be protected by the EU regulation on maritime passengers’ rights, which will be brought into UK law.

Passengers should take out appropriate travel insurance, check and understand the terms and conditions of their booking, and check with their cruise line and insurance provider if they have any questions.

Before you leave for your cruise, check online for the latest travel information and information from your cruise operator.

CLIA has said they welcome this advice and hopes it reassures UK and EU citizens planning a cruise holiday departing from the UK next year. They would also advise that all UK travellers check the expiry date of their passport when booking travel arrangements, and ensure that there is at least six months’ validity at time of travel.

We will continue to monitor the situation and inform of any updates to this guidance accordingly.

Written By: Cruise Line International Association

45 minutes ago, Brayman said:

Perhaps the following, from the CLIA,  might help:-

Statement for Cruisers

CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) have today given the following statement to answer cruise passenger queries regardinBrexit.

The UK Government has issued official guidance on passenger travel to the EU by air, rail or sea after Brexit, especially if there is no Brexit deal. This guidance includes cruising and states:

Cruising

From 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, cruise operations will continue on the same basis as today. Passengers who embark on a cruise at a UK port will continue to be protected by the EU regulation on maritime passengers’ rights, which will be brought into UK law.

Passengers should take out appropriate travel insurance, check and understand the terms and conditions of their booking, and check with their cruise line and insurance provider if they have any questions.

Before you leave for your cruise, check online for the latest travel information and information from your cruise operator.

CLIA has said they welcome this advice and hopes it reassures UK and EU citizens planning a cruise holiday departing from the UK next year. They would also advise that all UK travellers check the expiry date of their passport when booking travel arrangements, and ensure that there is at least six months’ validity at time of travel.

We will continue to monitor the situation and inform of any updates to this guidance accordingly.

Written By: Cruise Line International Association

Not really, I’m afraid. It’s just a restatement of the vague government statement already referred to in this thread.

What we really need is an indication as to what will happen at ports visited (eg will the current card system still be permitted?) but nobody can really answer that one until after 29 March.

40 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

I read today that Portugal are implementing special lines for UK passport holders, so that they won't be any delays for them getting through passport control.

I think this is pretty positive.

That does sound positive - thanks.  Just what we need.  Do you have a link please?

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, jeanlyon said:

I will not be losing any sleep over it.  They will soon put something together as both sides will want frictionless entry and exit.

Don't sleep too soundly. You and a lot of others need to check your passport  when you wake up.

The new FCO travel advice said: 'If the UK leaves the European Union with no deal, the passport validity rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change from 29 March 2019.

'Some passports with up to 15 months validity remaining may not be valid for travel.

'Before booking travel, you should check that your passport will meet these new rules and find out whether you need to renew it.'

35 minutes ago, Apial said:

Don't sleep too soundly. You and a lot of others need to check your passport  when you wake up.

The new FCO travel advice said: 'If the UK leaves the European Union with no deal, the passport validity rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change from 29 March 2019.

'Some passports with up to 15 months validity remaining may not be valid for travel.

'Before booking travel, you should check that your passport will meet these new rules and find out whether you need to renew it.'

Check with this:   http://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport

Latest Advice 

This is also reported here and here too.

The checking tool says a 10 year  passport travelling to the Netherlands for example, would still be valid with less than 9 months left.

Why the difference? Some passport holders renewed their passports early and had an extra 9 months carried over on to the new passport, giving them a 10yr 9month passport.

The rules now say that only  a 10 year maximum passport validity is allowed. The extra 9 months are wiped off the validity. The passport has to have at least 6 months left on it, so adding the two together it means you would need 15 months left to the expiry date for the passport to be able to cross into the Schengen zone.

Don't just rely on 6 months.

Edited by Apial

More information direct from P&O - and not looking good for shore visits, as I thought.  Passports, rather than boarding cards, means almost inevitable delays:

https://www.pocruises.com/brexit/

What about going on shore?

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore. 

Will data roaming rules still apply in Europe?

Current rules, which keep the cost of calls, messages and internet usage the same in the EU as it is in the UK, will stay in place under an approved Brexit deal during the implementation period.

Under a no-deal Brexit, the availability and pricing of mobile roaming in the EU would be a commercial question for mobile operators. As a result, surcharge-free mobile roaming in the EU may not continue to be standard across every mobile phone package from that point. Roaming may also be offered with different terms and conditions. This might affect the amount of calls that you can make, texts you can send and data you can consume, including applying limits that are less than the amount available in your bundle when you’re in the UK. Please check with your mobile phone provider before you travel.

20 hours ago, docco said:

Just to add to that last post - let's all pray, for the sake of our future cruises, that either we agree a deal or we ditch Brexit altogether as completely unworkable.

You may be right but I'm not sure this is the right place for political views.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 8:14 PM, Apial said:

Latest Advice 

This is also reported here and here too.

The checking tool says a 10 year  passport travelling to the Netherlands for example, would still be valid with less than 9 months left.

Why the difference? Some passport holders renewed their passports early and had an extra 9 months carried over on to the new passport, giving them a 10yr 9month passport.

The rules now say that only  a 10 year maximum passport validity is allowed. The extra 9 months are wiped off the validity. The passport has to have at least 6 months left on it, so adding the two together it means you would need 15 months left to the expiry date for the passport to be able to cross into the Schengen zone.

Don't just rely on 6 months.

This was happening before Brexit and applies to everyone not just U.K. citizens.

Thats why the U.K. government changed the rules about when you could apply for your passport. Must be 3/4 months ago.

It has always been necessary to take passports ashore in Venice for instance.  Never had it looked at though.  That P&O policy has always been in place.  "you may need to take your passport ashore with 6 months left"

Nothing new there.

Look on the bright side. We do not have Currency Controls like the good old days. £50 maximum could be taken on holiday as spending money, and it had to be recorded in your passport too.

I do hope that passport checker is NOT used by the check in clerks at Southampton. It will take forever. Issue date, dob, and expiry date are needed to check. Hopefully any Schengen country will do for the country box. I also hope something quicker is going to be available in each port of call.

In case you are planning to drive a car, or even a quad bike, you will need an International Driving Permit. There will be at least 3 different types depending on which country you wish to drive in as they follow different Conventions.

UK Driving licences will no longer be valid unless accompanied by the IDP.