Government advice for travelers after Brexit. Including no deal.

daiB

4 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Docco, with respect this is the wrong forum for Brexit standpoints, there are plenty of newspaper and media related Brexit forums available to comment on. The country rightly or wrongly voted to leave and we all have to stand by the consequences and I for one will be happy if the worse that happens is that it interferes with my holiday.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here, I think if you want Dai to say that you are right and he is wrong you may wait a long time !

Bring back tipping threads - much more interesting !

I see the point you’re making, of course, but this is a thread specifically relating to post-Brexit travel, so it’s hardly surprising that Brexit comes into it.

Dai is never going to accept that he’s wrong - I know that! 

As to what I’m trying to achieve? Simply an educated discussion as to how Brexit is going to impact on the cruises quite a few people have booked, or are considering booking, for the post-Brexit period.

I didn’t start the thread, but isn’t it better to discuss the issue properly rather than get a nasty shock if things go badly wrong?

There’s no compulsion on anybody, of course, either to read or contribute to the thread. It’s a free choice. 🙂

1 hour ago, docco said:

I see the point you’re making, of course, but this is a thread specifically relating to post-Brexit travel, so it’s hardly surprising that Brexit comes into it.

Dai is never going to accept that he’s wrong - I know that! 

As to what I’m trying to achieve? Simply an educated discussion as to how Brexit is going to impact on the cruises quite a few people have booked, or are considering booking, for the post-Brexit period.

I didn’t start the thread, but isn’t it better to discuss the issue properly rather than get a nasty shock if things go badly wrong?

There’s no compulsion on anybody, of course, either to read or contribute to the thread. It’s a free choice. 🙂

And you will never accept that you are wrong a stirring things up to upset people.

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

Docco, with respect this is the wrong forum for Brexit standpoints, there are plenty of newspaper and media related Brexit forums available to comment on. The country rightly or wrongly voted to leave and we all have to stand by the consequences and I for one will be happy if the worse that happens is that it interferes with my holiday.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here, I think if you want Dai to say that you are right and he is wrong you may wait a long time !

Bring back tipping threads - much more interesting !

As they say .... you know me so well.

I am an American and on my last two 2018 European sailings (Fred Olsen and CMV), the front desk staff told me they had to retain my passport for the whole sailing because I did not have an EU passport.  When I wanted to go ashore, in each port I had to wait until immigration boarded and cleared my passport, which I could then retrieve from the front desk in order to leave the ship.  What does this policy mean for UK passport holders sailing to the EU after March?

1 minute ago, comcox said:

I am an American and on my last two 2018 European sailings (Fred Olsen and CMV), the front desk staff told me they had to retain my passport for the whole sailing because I did not have an EU passport.  When I wanted to go ashore, in each port I had to wait until immigration boarded and cleared my passport, which I could then retrieve from the front desk in order to leave the ship.  What does this policy mean for UK passport holders sailing to the EU after March?

That’s precisely the sort of situation that concerns me after Brexit, because UK citizens will be in exactly the same situation - no EU passports.

The answer isn’t yet clear, but there shouldn’t be a problem if there’s an agreed exit, because transitional arrangements will kick in. If there’s no deal, though, who knows?

There are people who will tell you that nothing will change, but they have no evidence whatever for that assertion, and seem unable to accept the hard reality of what’s happening.

• Like 1

I just wish they would hurry up and get it all sorted out, they have had 2 years and are now scrabbling around at the last minute.

While travel and holidays are trivial issues compared to the other potential problems that are not as yet resolved, it is unsettling if you are cruising post March.

It makes it very difficult to book DIY excursions when there is even a chance that there will be an added layer of beurocracy and additional time required to get off the ship. I don’t believe in being a harbinger of doom but it would also be unwise to assume that it will all be business as usual, at least at the first port of call visited if nowhere else.

Comcox above has described his or her experience. As a non EU state why would they treat us any differently now, other than weight of numbers.

2 minutes ago, docco said:

That’s precisely the sort of situation that concerns me after Brexit, because UK citizens will be in exactly the same situation - no EU passports.

The answer isn’t yet clear, but there shouldn’t be a problem if there’s an agreed exit, because transitional arrangements will kick in. If there’s no deal, though, who knows?

There are people who will tell you that nothing will change, but they have no evidence whatever for that assertion, and seem unable to accept the hard reality of what’s happening.

The weight of numbers may have some impact though Docco. What works for a handful of vititors from the US, Canada or Australia would not work with 4000 Brits trying to get off a ship.

While none of us knows for sure what will happen I would like to think that it will be in the interests of the port authorities to try to make things as hassle free as possible if they want the business (which some are starting not to like Venice for example).

People will report back and ports that make life difficult or take too long getting the formalities cleared will get crossed off passengers personal cruising list. I know I now try to avoid La Rochelle for example due to all the issues there that we have experienced.

If enough passengers complain to the cruise lines, or vote with their feet then longer term itineraries may change accordingly to ports who are more organised and accommodating.

lets just hope it is all sorted out and business as usual prevails 😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I am not a scaremongerer and certainly a half glass full guy but having just returned from Austria, an EU country, and having to wait over half an hour to get through passport control at Manchester airport into my own country with a British passport and knowing what the government say and like I said previously who believes a word what they say I shall wait with baited breath on my Mediterranean cruise in May if there is a no deal and see what happens.

You are lucky it was only 30 minutes. Try waiting 90 minutes and then having to drive 3 hours at 2am to get home. The posters put up by UK Border Force look like they borrowed them off the film set from  Orwell's "1984". They certainly do not welcome tourists to the UK. Its no surprise to hear that EU visitors to the UK fell last year despite the £ being at about its lowest ever.

16 minutes ago, Apial said:

La Rochelle should be avoided, I agree. Immigration officers  there must be the rudest on the planet. US immigration doesn't even get close.

Apial - thank you for the confirmation and the previous post regarding La Rochelle. I was seriously considering booking a cruise with this port  in the itinerary but  now re-thinking as perhaps not the best choice when there are other options available. Thank you for the advice.

13 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

Apial - thank you for the confirmation and the previous post regarding La Rochelle. I was seriously considering booking a cruise with this port  in the itinerary but  now re-thinking as perhaps not the best choice when there are other options available. Thank you for the advice.

Hi,

one of the crew said it was always the same when they arrived in La Rochelle. Big disorganised immigration queues with full passport checks. 

To counter balance though, the Hennessy distillery trip did make up for it a bit!

Hennessy.jpg

Edited by Apial

29 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

He interesting thing is that they did not do a check on the way in to France the Passport check was to get back on the ship. Including the queue about 10 to 15 minutes. Far less than the queue for the shuttle to get back to the port. There problem is the distance the shuttles have to go plus dealing with the traffic in an old town.

However I do like La Rochelle as a port.

3 minutes ago, daiB said:

He interesting thing is that they did not do a check on the way in to France the Passport check was to get back on the ship. Including the queue about 10 to 15 minutes. Far less than the queue for the shuttle to get back to the port. There problem is the distance the shuttles have to go plus dealing with the traffic in an old town.

However I do like La Rochelle as a port.

Another problem is that at mid-tide the gangplanks have to be moved regularly as they become too steep. This is due to the big tidal range in La Rochelle. Ballast tanks are used to tip the ship up or down each side as needed, but eventually the deck level has to be changed. Then nobody can get on or off, and the queue can exceed the length of the ship.

41 minutes ago, CCFC said:

We get 90 days Visa free travel according to the news today even if there is no deal.

This confirms what the EU announced on 13 November.  Goodness only knows what the position might have been otherwise - though it doesn't change the likelihood of passport queues at ports visited. 

Brexit preparedness: European Commission proposes visa-free travel to the EU for UK nationals in a no deal scenario – if the UK also grants reciprocal visa-free travel to all EU citizens

The European Commission has today proposed to grant UK citizens visa-free travel to the EU after the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union.

That's what I thought they would do, but even if not, surely it's just like any non-EU port.  P&O have all passport details online on the ship, so they just do a block clearance when immigration boards.  They do this now in non-EU ports.

Got this in an email from a TA.

How will Brexit affect my holiday?

Whether you’ve already booked your holiday or you’re just thinking about planning your next getaway, you’re probably wondering what Brexit will mean for your break. Here, we’ve rounded up everything you need to know about holidays after Brexit.
Booking with D

When you've been in business as long as we have, you gain invaluable knowledge and experience, overcoming new and unexpected challenges and adapting to the changing world around us.

By booking your holiday with D&, you can rest assured knowing you have an expert team behind you to help whenever you need us. As we have done for the last 56 years, we will continue to deliver holidays and service beyond expectations.
Should I be concerned about my holiday with the uncertainity surrounding Brexit?

We understand you may be anxious to find out more about what may happen with Brexit, to help you plan your holiday. The good thing to know is that the European Commission has said that planes leaving from the UK will still be allowed to fly over the territory of the European Union, even in a no-deal scenario. So you can rest assured that your flight should still go ahead as planned. Our partners are committed to operating holidays to all of their wonderful destinations, including those within the EU, so you can still book holidays with us in confidence.
Will flights still operate?

Regardless of the Brexit outcome, planes will still be able to fly between the UK and the EU. When and if a deal is agreed, we’ll enter a transition period, meaning everything will stay as it is until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal. Even in the case of a no-deal scenario, the European Commission and UK government have said that UK airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU. The UK government has also agreed that airlines operating out of the EU will be able to fly into the UK.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

You shouldn’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission announced in November 2018 that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers will still be able to visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK. The European Commission has also said that from 2021, UK citizens will need to pay a fee – of around seven euros – for this visa exemption. This is part of a new electronic travel authorisation system, which applies to all third country visitors to the EU – it’s similar to the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme that the USA has.
What happens if I book to travel after 29/3/19 and my holiday cannot go ahead due to Brexit?

There is nothing to suggest that you won’t be able to continue with your holiday plans after 29th March. Even in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission and UK government have said flights to and from the UK will still be able to operate. Customers who book a package holiday with a UK travel company can relax knowing that they’ve got the most comprehensive protection as a consumer. If you book a package, your holiday will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, meaning you’ll have the right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided.
Will I need a new Passport?

Your UK passport will still be valid, but if it’s due to expire this year and you’re travelling to the EU after the 29th March 2019, it’s a good idea to check you have enough time left on your passport for where you’re going. You can do this on the government's website.

Without wishing to take sides here, I don’t see how anybody can speak with certainty about what will or will not happen. There are too many vested interests politically and financially and too many lies have been told on both sides for no doubt to exist. It could turn out to be beneficial or a total calamity, nobody knows which. Our fate lies not in our own hands but in the hands of others who may or may not inspire our trust in them. I am confident that P&O, together with other travel and holiday companies will do all they can to make sure this added stress and inconvenience is not passed on to their customers, but in the end, they will have to make the best out of whatever deal or no deal that transpires.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Without wishing to take sides here, I don’t see how anybody can speak with certainty about what will or will not happen. There are too many vested interests politically and financially and too many lies have been told on both sides for no doubt to exist. It could turn out to be beneficial or a total calamity, nobody knows which. Our fate lies not in our own hands but in the hands of others who may or may not inspire our trust in them. I am confident that P&O, together with other travel and holiday companies will do all they can to make sure this added stress and inconvenience is not passed on to their customers, but in the end, they will have to make the best out of whatever deal or no deal that transpires.

I think that pretty much sums it up so far as cruising's concerned.  Pretty much in the lap of the gods. 

I'm still praying for an agreement, though, rather than crashing out without one - that way we would at least have the transitional arrangements in place, and very little would change for 21 months.