Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
daiB

Government advice for travelers after Brexit. Including no deal.

Recommended Posts

Not a doom monger but I would have liked to have seen mention of the EHIC card which provides free health care. I also hope they are right about EU maritime regulations on rights being incorporated in UK law. As they have only just started planning for no deal and there appears to be no plan B, they have a lot to do by the end of March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dai, would like to thank you for the link.  We were going to wait until July to renew my husband's passport, but have done it today.  All done online with a photo taken by me on my phone.  Love technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pete14 said:

Not a doom monger but I would have liked to have seen mention of the EHIC card which provides free health care. I also hope they are right about EU maritime regulations on rights being incorporated in UK law. As they have only just started planning for no deal and there appears to be no plan B, they have a lot to do by the end of March.

 

I'd have like to have seen a mention of the EHIC card too. My current one expires on 19th March. I suspect that if Theresa May's deal is approved it will be worth renewing it, but probably not if it's a no-deal Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the EHIC card doesn't cost you anything and you can apply for a new one at any time (I think I've three as I kept losing and finding them after I came back from holiday) its no hardship to get a new one.

 

BTW it doesn't get you "free" healthcare, it gets you equivalent public healthcare as a local resident would get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, as long as it is emergency or urgent care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Considering the EHIC card doesn't cost you anything and you can apply for a new one at any time (I think I've three as I kept losing and finding them after I came back from holiday) its no hardship to get a new one.

 

BTW it doesn't get you "free" healthcare, it gets you equivalent public healthcare as a local resident would get.

 

Thanks. I'd forgotten that the card was free (though I'm aware of its limitations).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the reason we did his passport now instead of July is, according to those rules, if the passport has longer than 10 years on it, due to them adding on the extra months, you would not be covered for those.

 

My husband's passport didn't run out until December 2019, BUT 10 years would be up in March this year!  We sail in April.  Really glad I did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that of all seems to be pretty basic and positive. I am expecting passport checks may be different as happens with those from the US when they cruse in Europe, but nothing to stress about.

 

Great link - thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, jeanlyon said:

Dai, would like to thank you for the link.  We were going to wait until July to renew my husband's passport, but have done it today.  All done online with a photo taken by me on my phone.  Love technology.

 

Yes we did ours online last year using our phone for photos. So easy to do and the new passports were with us in 5 days, very pleased with the service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from an email received from P&O today. Good news.

KING NEWS
 
 

In the event of a no deal Brexit, the UK Government have confirmed cruise holidays will continue on the same basis as today

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So - how about Fly Cruises? I must admit I am a bit jittery about booking a fly cruise to Europe this summer until I know what is going to happen?
We would be flying TUI though - who are German - so maybe we will be OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scriv said:

So - how about Fly Cruises? I must admit I am a bit jittery about booking a fly cruise to Europe this summer until I know what is going to happen?
We would be flying TUI though - who are German - so maybe we will be OK.

 

The P&O email takes you to an advice page, pasted below is the information about fly cruises.

 

“If a deal is agreed the UK will be in a transition period and flights should operate as normal until December 2020. When travellers are faced with avoidable cancellations or delays to their journey, they can get redress thanks to the EU’s passenger rights legislation.

Even in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has said UK airlines should be able to fly between the UK and the EU under a reciprocal arrangement. 

For the latest government advice on flights and Brexit: www.gov.uk/government/publications/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my husband's passport back.  Sent last Friday, received today.  4 working days.  Unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just got my husband's passport back.  Sent last Friday, received today.  4 working days.  Unbelievable.

 

Thats very efficient. Which passport office, as I believe we can use any of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did it online.  Follow the instructions.  Take a photo on your mobile, must be a plain background with no light switches or pictures.  You take head and upper body.  Upload that.  Finish and send the old passport by Signed for.  So simple.  And it's £9.50 cheaper than sending by post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Quote from an email received from P&O today. Good news.

KING NEWS
 
 

In the event of a no deal Brexit, the UK Government have confirmed cruise holidays will continue on the same basis as today

 

 

That's an incredibly vague and meaningless statement, isn't it?

 

Dig a little further and you get this:

 

"Cruising

From 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, cruise operations will continue on the same basis as today. Passengers who embark on a cruise at a UK port will continue to be protected by the EU regulation on maritime passengers’ rights, which will be brought into UK law.

Passengers should take out appropriate travel insurance, check and understand the terms and conditions of their booking, and check with their cruise line and insurance provider if they have any questions.

Before you leave for your cruise, check online for the latest travel information and information from your cruise operator."

 

Still very vague, and nothing whatever about the really contentious point - what happens post-Brexit at ports of call?  Will it be passport queues or will the present system still operate if the UK is no longer a member of the EU but has no treaties internationally to take the place of those we have by virtue of our EU membership?

 

Looking a little more hopeful after yesterday that we might yet get a deal (unpopular though it might be across the board) or an extension of the current negotiating period beyond 29 March.  Or another vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this again.  Once you have entered the EU, there will be no passport queues, just like when you enter Canada, for instance.  You enter and then that's it for every other port.  P&O hold your passport details and do a bulk clearance.  Stop making problems where none exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I will say this again.  Once you have entered the EU, there will be no passport queues, just like when you enter Canada, for instance.  You enter and then that's it for every other port.  P&O hold your passport details and do a bulk clearance.  Stop making problems where none exist.

You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, but saying it again doesn't mean that you're right.

 

The point you're still missing, or choosing to miss, is that if we leave without a deal (and therefore no transitional arrangements) nothing that applied in the past, has any relevance.  It's a whole new ball game - because we will have no international agreements with any country in the world to replace the ones we currently have as members of the EU.

 

None of us knows or can know what will happen (and I'm only talking here about a no-deal WTO unruly exit) and sounding warning bells is not scaremongering, as you seem to think it is.

 

You have your view, which is not based on any hard information.  I have mine, which is simply that we don't know, because there is no hard information.

 

Blindly assuming that everything will go on as before does not help anybody - least of all people splashing out a lot of money on cruises.  And if there were a clear answer, don't you think it would have been covered by the advice recently issued by the government?  It isn't covered - because nobody knows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you read Dai's link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...