Rhine water levels 2019 and similar topics

notamermaid

Thank you, foodpolice. The fortress looks impressive. According to the regional news 170,000 people attended the 3-day event (including those not directly present at Koblenz)!

To water levels. The experts had anticipated a sharp rise at Maxau but the predictions have been adjusted and now we will likely see a rise to 530cm only. All in all this looks very pleasant and holds the promise for a good couple of weeks for sailing. With the unsettled but warm weather I dare say that the outlook for September is looking ever better.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I have been spending many hours planning an alternative week if my Basel to Amsterdam cruise in mid-September turns into a bus trip.  I purchased cancel-for-any-reason insurance.  

I'm happy to read that all that effort is likely to be pointless for this year.  I'll keep plugging away so that the weather gods want to make me look silly.

I am a bit suspicious of opinions that project favorable water levels beyond the next week or two.

Sounds like a good plan. I wish I had had similar similar planning in place  last year when our second cruise was cancelled.For some reason, I just never thought of cancellation as being possible.And I have a reputation as an Uber planner...Uniworld offered us a full refund which we could have taken rather than switching to another cruise which we really didn't want to take.

Not knowing how fast  water levels fluctuate on the Danube or Rhine, it seems like it might be hard to forecast. 

For example if they get a really hot spell, like we are having here in Georgia with high 90's for over a week, one might expect that the water levels would go down. 

Hope you have no problems at all and enjoy your cruise.

On my recent Avalon cruise the captain stated that he felt the Rhine water levels should be fine for the foreseeable future.   This was a wonderful cruise.  I did Basel to Amsterdam; finishing August 3.  Our water levels were good the whole way. 

12 minutes ago, Europeantraveler1 said:

Our Avalon river cruise beginning Sept. 3rd in Amsterdam and ending in Basel, Switzerland on Sept. 10th, is fast approaching!  Any predictions on the Rhine River’s water levels for that period of time?  Many thanks!!!

Not really, but I am more confident about there being few problems than I was a week ago. Here is why:

foodpolice told us on 8 August in post #340

On 8/8/2019 at 7:28 AM, foodpolice said:

Learned from one of the Emerald Sun's officers that the prognosis for the Rhine River will be good to the end of the season. 

gailellen12 told us on 8 August in post #342

On 8/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, gailellen12 said:

I just completed a lovely Rhine river cruise with Avalon.  No worries about Rhine water levels through the early fall.  This comes straight from the captains mouth to your ears/  Enjoy this wonderful experience if you have a cruise planned.

The river level at Kaub where the first problems always arise is currently at 184cm. When we have a hot spell - as GeorgaRambler has pointed out - the level will fall. 10cm per day can happen then. While it is theoretically possible to reach a figure of 84cm in 10 days these does not automatically happen in the absence of rain. Even last year on hot days we have had days when the level fell by only 4cm in a day. A hot spell is not in the 14-day trend. The weather is unsettled and dryer days are followed by rain. Rain of note in the catchment area of the Rhine is forecast for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

The Rhine has Lake Constance as a natural reservoir. This is filled better this year than last. 326cm last year compared to 390cm this year, as published by BAfG on 8 August. At currently 403cm, this looks even better for the next few days.

schda,

you wrote: "I am a bit suspicious of opinions that project favorable water levels beyond the next week or two."

I can fully understand that. After last year, I was quite sceptical. Especially after rumours of a repeat of last year's drought came in. This has not materialized. The very prolonged problems of last year will not happen as they started in the third week of July. It is mid-August and we are nowhere near the low levels we experienced then. This does not mean we will not see low levels. I expect we will see a low at Kaub at some point - by that I mean a figure of 93cm or under. But how much lower than that and for how long, involving ship swaps and cancellations potentially, noone can say for sure. It is good to read that the captains on the water are confident about the coming weeks. For now, I am happy that August is much better than last year and there is the prospect of September being much less eventful than last year.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Notamermaid, your post is music to my ears.  We arrive Amsterdam on Thursday to prepare for our Emerald cruise from August 24 to 31.  Ecstatic that we will have good water levels.  After booking the trip last year I have worried we would have low water levels this year too.  

Here is a short geography test (moan...) Now seriously, this is important, we really need to pay homage to this place this year (alright then...) The Rhine borders on or flows through Switzerland, France, Germany, the Netherlands and ...? Austria! And ...? Liechtenstein! Somewhere on the Alpine Rhine there is this little place - the sixth smallest country in the world according to German wikipedia - that celebrates its 300th year as an independent country this year. This is Liechtenstein on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein

And here is an article by Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/300-years-of-liechtenstein/g-47168856

notamermaid

River levels today: Maxau is at 478cm. A good rise is forecast with the potential of the level reaching the mean water level (a statistical value calculated over a period of 10plus years). Kaub will follow with a good rise in due course. The level is currently at 173cm and could reach 200cm on Thursday. Koblenz is currently at 164cm.

To compare: last year at Kaub on 18 August the level was at 73cm.

notamermaid

Today is one of those days that proves how quickly things can change on the river. And the companies need to adapt. Okay, this sounds a bit dramatic but it is not. It is just that the rain in the High Rhine area and in the Upper Rhine valley has made the river rise so much that around Maxau, that is near Karlsruhe, river traffic is on slow traffic status due to high levels of above 620cm. The level will peak in the next few hours and fast return to something closer to the mean.

If you are on a ship and delayed this will be the reason, if you are not, great! By the way, by the time the crest reaches Kaub it will not hamper navigation, only the positive effect of plenty of water will remain.

I leave you for this week with a Canadian article on the Rheingau region. It is the area around Wiesbaden and Rüdesheim filled with vineyards and well, other interesting sights. Enjoy.

https://beta.canada.com/travel/riesling-castles-and-spas-on-the-romantic-rhine-plan-your-trip-to-southern-germanys-rheingau-wine-region/wcm/f57aaf2a-c6be-4e90-b51a-d72705b3a561/amp/

notamermaid

• Like 1

notamermaid:  Following your posts in anticipation of our Scenic Opal river cruise September 4 Budapest to September 18 Amsterdam.  Your profile says Rhine Germany so, IF we have any stops in a town close to you, we’d love to treat you to a beverage!

Senga

Senga - If you can't meet notamermaid, you may want to do what we did in June...   While cruising on the Rhine we raised our glasses of fine Riesling in a toast to her in appreciation of her info, comments and humor on this blog.  We were much better prepared for our Viking cruise thanks to her- and the info she provided was spot-on.

Edited by Mike R 2018
typo

I second your comments Mike R.  We are currently on the Emerald Sun on our way to Cologne, and everything is perfect.  Wonderful weather and last, but not least, lots of water in the Rhine.  Quite a relief since I spent the last year wondering if we would get a bus ride rather than a water ride.  On leaving Amsterdam we saw the Viking Kara, a Scenic ship (perhaps the Opal or Pearl) and also the Avalon Vista.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fourmiler said:

I second your comments Mike R.  We are currently on the Emerald Sun on our way to Cologne, and everything is perfect.  Wonderful weather and last, but not least, lots of water in the Rhine.  Quite a relief since I spent the last year wondering if we would get a bus ride rather than a water ride.  On leaving Amsterdam we saw the Viking Kara, a Scenic ship (perhaps the Opal or Pearl) and also the Avalon Vista.

So happy to hear all is well... we leave tomorrow for Luxembourg for our AmaDante Rhine/Moselle Splendors cruise!

Just returned from fabulous Amawaterways trip on Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel.  Much appreciate this board especially notamermaid as we did not want a bus trip! Were lucky on Danube last year as 2 weeks after our sailing, river was not navigable.  Rhine was beautiful, full and flowing the entire way. Castles and villages on the gorge were amazing.   Even had to lower upper level things to get under one bridge near south.  Highly recommend excursions to Heidelberg (Ludwigshafen port), Rudesheim vineyard, Strasbourg and Riquewihr (Breisach port) for those who have opportunity. Happy travels! 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, Mike R 2018 said:

Senga - If you can't meet notamermaid, you may want to do what we did in June...   While cruising on the Rhine we raised our glasses of fine Riesling in a toast to her in appreciation of her info, comments and humor on this blog.  We were much better prepared for our Viking cruise thanks to her- and the info she provided was spot-on.

Perhaps we can get our respective river ship bartenders to create a Not-a-Mermaid cocktail in honor of our benefactor.

I have returned from a weekend away to celebrate a wedding of a lovely couple. The bride looked beautiful, the bridegroom was nervous, the bride's mother proud and everyone had a great time!

We are in the middle of a heatwave again and I am seriously looking forward to my first shift at the office (air-conditioning) to get away from my hot flat.

Whereas last year the heat was followed by more heat and no rain, this year we see a more normal pattern of heat followed relatively soon by thunderstorms. Like yesterday. Fortunately, the rain tends to fall widespread enough to distribute water along the Rhine valley and its tributaries.

Today, tomorrow and Sunday a decent amount of rain will cover much of the Rhine in the Upper valley and the Black Forest as well as to a lesser extent the Vosges mountains.

To give you an idea of temperatures: yesterday's highest in Germany was 35.3 degrees in Lower Saxony with the Rhine valley being almost as hot, Mannheim for example reached 33.5 degrees. Today is set to be another hot day despite thunderstorms, with the current hottest place near the Rhine valley being Alzey at 31.8 degrees (at 1.30pm).

I am bracing myself for saying goodbye to two colleagues who are leaving to find fame and fortune elsewhere - hope they find contentment, too. Booargh, sniff, how dare they leave!!

So be patient with me in answering or commenting over the next six days.

But I must tell you the river levels before I leave, of course: Maxau 511cm, Kaub 195cm, 179cm.

Bye for now.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, Mike R 2018 said:

16 hours ago, schda12 said:

Perhaps we can get our respective river ship bartenders to create a Not-a-Mermaid cocktail in honor of our benefactor.

Excellent suggestions!  I wouldn’t be keen on meeting up with “strangers”!

Hello Fellow travelers.  We are booked on the Emerald Destiny leaving Amsterdam on September 10 for a 15 day cruise down to Budapest.  Any updates on the river levels for the coming week, as every else had mentioned in the past posts a glorified bus tour is not what we had in mind.  I understand that mother nature has her own agenda but daily updates are really appreciated.

1 hour ago, ShellyMike said:

Hello Fellow travelers.  We are booked on the Emerald Destiny leaving Amsterdam on September 10 for a 15 day cruise down to Budapest.  Any updates on the river levels for the coming week, as every else had mentioned in the past posts a glorified bus tour is not what we had in mind.  I understand that mother nature has her own agenda but daily updates are really appreciated.

Get the hint. :classic_smile:  

Just do not want to bore anyone when everything is fine on the Rhine...

Currently with or without rain in the forecast the Rhine will be fine for a few days. Here are the figures: Maxau 516cm, Kaub 178cm, Koblenz 161cm. Hmm, noticed I left out the name Koblenz in my previous post.

Need to be brief. More on the Rhine next week. But I shall watch the events on the Danube over on the other thread.

notamermaid

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShellyMike said:

As notamermaid says, things look good on the Rhine portion of your cruise. The Danube portion looks a little more precarious but still not likely to be a “glorified bus tour”. Maybe a ship swap between Regensburg and Passau. There is another thread about Danube water levels, also started by notamermaid that will help you keep up to date on Danube river issues. 

• Like 1

A new week and a quick look at the river and the weather:

Maxau 471cm, Kaub 164cm, Koblenz 147cm. You can clearly see the difference to the last figures I posted, especially at Maxau, but Lake Constance is still filled pleasantly well and while we will likely see a further fall in levels the heat is gone and will not make things worse.

The temperatures are pleasant, in the lower twenties Celsius. They are likely to rise a little but rain is forecast and we are moving towards early autumn weather scenarios, the experts say.

I know I have some catching up to do with your posts. Shall be back shortly.

notamermaid

We are on the Rhine right now... AmaDante left Luxembourg last Thursday and the weather and river have been absolutely perfect!  The Rhine Gorge was stunning yesterday, although with a good cloud cover most of the day.  Perfect temp for walking around Rudesheim village... our favorite so far!  Today in Ludwigshafen and we’re going to bypass the tours and check out the big mall directly next to the ship.  Have seen plenty of castles!  Tomorrow is Strasbourg, then Breisach, and our week will come to an end in Basel.  Water level looks perfect from where we are... 

• Like 1