Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

Rhine water levels 2019 and similar topics

Not a mermaid yesterday I travel from rudesheim to Koblenz on the Rhine and view all the castles it was very clear hardly any rain and everything was in full View then last night and Koblenz it rained but we were already at the Pier what's around Koblenz City Centre today a little cold the little rainy the very interesting having a wonderful cruise on the Rhine no water level problems at all I'm on the Crystal b a c h cheers David

2 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

Not a mermaid yesterday I travel from rudesheim to Koblenz on the Rhine and view all the castles it was very clear hardly any rain and everything was in full View then last night and Koblenz it rained but we were already at the Pier what's around Koblenz City Centre today a little cold the little rainy the very interesting having a wonderful cruise on the Rhine no water level problems at all I'm on the Crystal b a c h cheers David

Hello David,

Good to hear you enjoyed the castles. In Koblenz, did you go up to the fortress? I saw on marinetraffic that  you docked on the Moselle. A bit far for a nice webcam screen shot from the fortress, did not do one. You have entered the Neuwied basin where the hills recede from the river but coming soon after that is the rock formation Andernach gate, the topographical gateway to the Seven Mountains range - the Siebengebirge - and then of course Cologne which you will see lit up. Enjoy!

notamermaid

@USC Adventurer, with all due respect, please find some punctuation!!  My brain gets out of breath reading your one-sentence paragraphs!!  (Meant in jest, please do not take offense)

PS glad you are enjoying the Rhine.  We did the Rhine earlier last month and had the time of our lives.

Edited by sharkster77

Notamermaid, you always manage to find such interesting stories.  It would be nice to visit Guedelon but I don’t think I’d be offering to do work on the castle.  I noticed there was another article in the newspaper.  It was making bags from apples.  How do people manage to come up with such projects.  

Actually sharks to 77 I speak into my phone I do not send messages with my fingertip so the phone doesn't always understand punctuation it doesn't always understand what I'm saying as you can see by your name here it shorts there came out as short to 77 or short to 77 I know you mean your comment in Jest but I just wanted you to understand how I send my messages on the phone cheers David

On 11/4/2019 at 2:28 PM, USC Adventurer said:

Hello not a mermaid the dining room of crystal Bach I had a fabulous day touring Strasbourg this morning by foot in by canal boat and then they had a special concert for Crystal Bach at the cathedral of Notre dam in Strasbourg there is an organ recital in a tour of the cathedral and it was only opened for Crystal passage and have wonderful food infection I I'm having dinner schnitzel French onion soup instruct cocktail I love German food no problem with water level at all and I'm having the most fabulous time of my life and Crystal is beyond brilliant it's a wonderful Cruise Line cheers David

@USC Adventurer Good to hear that you are enjoying your cruise onboard Crystal Bach. I am very much looking forward to mine the week after yours. Fingers crossed that all's well with weather and water levels in the region.

"Ufftata, ufftata", "Saahankt Maartin, Saahankt Maartin"...

No, I have not gone mad, or been too close to the first glühwein of the year. Both types of music have strangely combined in my brain to make for an unpleasant sound that I find difficult to get rid off. The first is what you might call Carnival oompah music in English, the latter is the (sung) start of a song intonated by children during the lantern procession. The occasion is 11 November, both the beginning of Carnival season and the celebration of Saint Martin of Tours whose feast day it is in the Roman Catholic calendar.

Carnival (in the Rhineland) I have explained before and 11 November is not a good day for travelling on regional trains from my experience (unless you are at least quarter drunk yourself or studying humans when not at their best behaviour), so I shall refrain from saying any more about it.

The tradition of Saint Martin is well explained in this article, just one note: (small) children now mostly use shop-bought sticks with battery lights.

https://www.thelocal.de/20131111/15437

As regards river levels: all is well and it looks as if this should continue through the week. Kaub is at 228cm and although steadily falling should stay well above 120cm this week. As of today, no flooding indicated anywhere either.

Oh, and it is grey with a cool wind, often rainy with temperatures at night going down to freezing (zero Celsius or a little less in the hills). A November how we expect it to be.

notamermaid