Edgeification of current ships

chamima

On 1/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, C-Dragons said:

Not here. We are booked on Summit after being “edgified”. I think it's going to be a positive thing and can’t wait to experience it. My glass is half full... 😊

Great post.  😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Anne said:

After sailing on Edge last week (and one thing I forgot to post in my review) is that the extreme use of light colors throughout the ship is going to make it very difficult to keep the ships looking "clean."  All of the white furniture on the Rooftop Garden was already extremely dirty and even our cabin already showed signs of spills and dirt.  The white seats at the sunset bar were also showing signs of dirt and wear and tear.  And the ship was only sailing a little more than a month.

I didn't have any issues with the soft muted colors but I think long term it is going to be very difficult to keep these ships looking clean and new.

I can deal with some  dirt   but some posts have indicated the Rooftop had soot on the cushions ..

.If that is true it really messes up clothing,  and not good to breathe. 

We were in a huge puffback on Silhouette at the Sunset Bar....very scary being covered in soot! Hope this is not soot and if so less extreme!

X will have  to deal with the upkeep  of its fabric and design choices..

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Do not know if this helps, but I just booked Equinox for 2020, and received a reduced deposit for a suite - $450 total...I know, it is definitely not $25, but it does help, at least I decided to bite; now to see what others are offering to sweeten the price, as it is more than when first released...sorry if this is not what you are referring to with your comment!

In my situation, I think the problem was that I booked a repositioning cruise, and it doesn’t qualify. 😉

2 hours ago, hcat said:

I can deal with some  dirt   but some posts have indicated the Rooftop had soot on the cushions ..

Then it wouldn't matter what color scheme they adopt.  Actually the white fabrics are 'truth in advertising' because now you will see the soot before you sit in it! :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Host Anne said:

After sailing on Edge last week (and one thing I forgot to post in my review) is that the extreme use of light colors throughout the ship is going to make it very difficult to keep the ships looking "clean."  All of the white furniture on the Rooftop Garden was already extremely dirty and even our cabin already showed signs of spills and dirt.  The white seats at the sunset bar were also showing signs of dirt and wear and tear.  And the ship was only sailing a little more than a month.

I didn't have any issues with the soft muted colors but I think long term it is going to be very difficult to keep these ships looking clean and new.

I've been thinking about how much sunscreen will impact seats on Caribbean cruises, and especially on Med cruises in the summer.  Always have a heck of a time with the patio cushions when relatives visit (they use a LOT of sunscreen), even with Sunbrella fabrics.

I must preface my comment that my wife and I thoroughly love Celebrity and only cruise on Celebrity. We like M Class ships over S Class for the flow through the public areas, the pools and the lounges and restaurants. 

The M Cabins do have less storage than S class. However, although we over pack for cruises, we always find the storage sufficient. 

The complaints about the loss of storage and people choosing cancelation of cruises I believe are premature. 

We just returned from 13 days on the Summit and from what we learned on board, the cabins will have improved storage as well as decor changes.

The Cabins and hallways will be much more bright and airy. 

We like the classic look of the MDR, but we are still looking forward to the Edgification. 

Celebrity never disappoints. 

Edited by BOLOCRUISE

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The plan is to apply the Revolution to the complete fleet.   Eclipse is scheduled for November of 2020 so you may be safe depending on when your cruise is.  My understanding is the complete room will be replaced.   They are pre-manufactured as modules and they will pull out the existing one and slide the new one in. 

I don’t think they will remove and replace modules.  Hard to understand how they could do that in a few weeks.  More likely they will strip them down inside and renovate.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I don’t think they will remove and replace modules.  Hard to understand how they could do that in a few weeks.  More likely they will strip them down inside and renovate.

Off topic... Cute picture Rick, what's your puppy’s name?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I heard that each room module would be taken out and a new module slid in.  Maybe someone cruising can ask again.

3 hours ago, deeva211 said:

I heard that each room module would be taken out and a new module slid in.  Maybe someone cruising can ask again.

IMHO that would be faster than doing the work piece by piece onboard, at least for the veranda cabins where it isn't necessary to 'cut the hull' because the opening is already there.  But most others seem to disagree.  I know that I am not an engineer, I guess everybody else is :classic_wink:

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

They can do it in a few weeks because the new modules are prepared off the ship in advance. Then when the ship goes into drydock they slide out the old and slide in the new already updated. While the modules are out then I assume they would have the opportunity to go in and fix the main electrical, HVAC and sewer systems that would connect to the new modules. As other have stated of course I am not an engineer, but this seems like the most practical and time efficient way of overhauling all cabins on a cruise ship in one renovation period.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

They can do it in a few weeks because the new modules are prepared off the ship in advance. Then when the ship goes into drydock they slide out the old and slide in the new already updated. While the modules are out then I assume they would have the opportunity to go in and fix the main electrical, HVAC and sewer systems that would connect to the new modules. As other have stated of course I am not an engineer, but this seems like the most practical and time efficient way of overhauling all cabins on a cruise ship in one renovation period.

Thanks for saying what I've been trying to say, only much better!  This is how Azamara updated their new ship, and they explained that it was the only way to accomplish the work in a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, Lastdance said:

Do not know if this helps, but I just booked Equinox for 2020, and received a reduced deposit for a suite - $450 total...I know, it is definitely not $25, but it does help, at least I decided to bite; now to see what others are offering to sweeten the price, as it is more than when first released...sorry if this is not what you are referring to with your comment!

How much is the normal deposit?    I recently booked a Sky Suite while on a cruise with a deposit of $200 total.  It was a place holder and was told that if I chose a CS or above the deposit was $900 pp.   

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

How much is the normal deposit?    I recently booked a Sky Suite while on a cruise with a deposit of $200 total.  It was a place holder and was told that if I chose a CS or above the deposit was $900 pp.   

I just booked a CS a few weeks ago online on the Celebrity website and the deposit was $250pp (which I think was lower than I've paid in the past for a suite). I didn't realize the deposit amounts changed so often.

On 1/20/2019 at 2:36 AM, BOLOCRUISE said:

We just returned from 13 days on the Summit and from what we learned on board, the cabins will have improved storage as well as decor changes.

Thanks for the information, Bolocruise. Did you hear anything about the Veranda cabins? Will some of them be replaced with Infinite Veranda cabins? There's been a lot of speculation about this, on various threads, but I haven't seen confirmation either way.

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks for the information, Bolocruise. Did you hear anything about the Veranda cabins? Will some of them be replaced with Infinite Veranda cabins? There's been a lot of speculation about this, on various threads, but I haven't seen confirmation either way.

No worries... X has already confirmed that the IV windows will not be added to the M class ships during the Revolution.

What I've heard from the Celebrity communications is that the "M" class will be stateroom replacement by removing and replacing the stateroom modules.  On "S" class it will be furniture and decor only in the staterooms.  I've been trying to find pictures of the current Millennium drydock with modules being removed.

10 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

No worries... X has already confirmed that the IV windows will not be added to the M class ships during the Revolution.

Thanks! Though we're disappointed with the differences between the marketed photos of the Edge IV's and the real photos posted by passengers, as well as some other reported aspects of the IV's, we're sticking with our IV on our Edge TA. We expect to like the cabin, despite the lack of a decent table, but we may be disappointed with the "veranda". Until we've tried it for ourselves, we certainly wouldn't commit to one on another sailing. It's nice to know I can stick with the Veranda cabin I just booked on Millennium😊

Edited by Silkroad

We were on the Edge a couple of weeks agoi. The amount of space and service devoted to the Retreat certainly took away from space for non-suite passengers. There were only two main lounges: the Martini Bar lounge and Eden.  It was very difficult to find a seat. If you could find a seat, it would take as long as 35 minutes to get a drink.

We would not book an Edge-class ship again. We have cruises booked on M and S class ships post "revolution."  If they remove significant public areas for the Retreat, such as the Sky Lounge, we would likely cancel these cruises and choose other lines to sail on. I have nothing against suite passengers. We have sailed in suites on S-class ships and believe that Michael's Club and Luminae are sufficient perks. However, I would look forward to refreshed staterooms and dining rooms on the older ships.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emileg said:

We were on the Edge a couple of weeks agoi. The amount of space and service devoted to the Retreat certainly took away from space for non-suite passengers. There were only two main lounges: the Martini Bar lounge and Eden.  It was very difficult to find a seat. If you could find a seat, it would take as long as 35 minutes to get a drink.

So if you are paying $60 a day for a beverage package, it will take quite a schedule to break even.  Great for reducing the cost of beverage perks, not so great for drink a la carte purchases.

I have just come to this thread, not having thought about Celebrity for a while.  Trying to get a handle on what is going to be done to Silhouette next Jan as far as it affects suite passengers. 

I think I am deducing that Luminae stays as it is, Michael becomes the Retreat Lounge (ie doesn't get bigger or material change its offer) and there is a Retreat sundeck at the top of the ship.

Beyond that, there is a new décor style throughout.

Have I got it about right?

Thanks, guys.

I've frequently read about the cabin module replacement as well. However, I don't see how that is possible without cutting the shell of the ship. It would be logistically impossible - as far as I can see - to swap out cabin modules. How would they do that with the metal shell of the ship intact? We booked a post-Revolution cruise on Summit in the area on Deck 3 where cabins were created by converting part of the conference room. These cabins have especially large windows, since they used to be part of a public area. My travel agent called Celebrity for me and they verified that the large windows would remain intact. I think they must be stripping to metal and replacing on the ship. Pulling all the shell off the ship would seemingly impact the ship's integrity. 

30 minutes ago, printingchick said:

I've frequently read about the cabin module replacement as well. However, I don't see how that is possible without cutting the shell of the ship. It would be logistically impossible - as far as I can see - to swap out cabin modules. How would they do that with the metal shell of the ship intact? We booked a post-Revolution cruise on Summit in the area on Deck 3 where cabins were created by converting part of the conference room. These cabins have especially large windows, since they used to be part of a public area. My travel agent called Celebrity for me and they verified that the large windows would remain intact. I think they must be stripping to metal and replacing on the ship. Pulling all the shell off the ship would seemingly impact the ship's integrity. 

As I understood it  these ships were built using prefabricated room units. Once assembled these units are then welded into the fabric of the ship, with the balconies and windows added afterwards. Surely no one  is suggesting they cut the the ship apart to remove sections then weld in new sections? Gutting each room and doing a complete refit of each must surely be quicker and cheaper

Edited by groryjm