Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ilikewhatisgood

Once you try Crystal, you ever go back to Celebrity?

Recommended Posts

On 2/3/2019 at 5:29 AM, caviargal said:

 

JMO, but having to get up at 2am to reserve an excursion is not a hallmark of an upscale/premium ocean cruise. 

We are in a DV1.

1

I was DV1  and did not get up at 2 am to book my excursions and there were plenty of good ones left.  Maybe it has to do with expectations.   I was very pleased with what they offered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have sailed with people who seriously had mobility  issues  or immune issues that wait like everyone else like people with mobile oxygen systems that go on tenders and are not concerned about having to be the first on even those with mobility issues.  Did you ever see the movie many years ago The Boy In The Bubble?  Very sad one has to live that way.

 

We always try to assist if one needs assistance and give way too those who clearly need it so no rush for us.  If my husband had a bad medical condition we would give up cruising and land vacations.  Some of the nice photos  of your wife are very close to people some of them crew and she does not look afraid of those photo ops.  In fact, she is very photogenic and beautiful.

 

Anyway, to each their own and we have seen it and heard it all.

 

Sorry off topic.  BACK to the original origins of this thread.

Edited by MalbecWine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MalbecWine said:

We have sailed with people who seriously had mobility  issues  or immune issues that wait like everyone else like people with mobile oxygen systems that go on tenders and are not concerned about having to be the first on even those with mobility issues.  Did you ever see the movie many years ago The Boy In The Bubble?  Very sad one has to live that way.

 

We always try to assist if one needs assistance and give way too those who clearly need it so no rush for us.  If my husband had a bad medical condition we would give up cruising and land vacations.  Some of the nice photos  of your wife are very close to people some of them crew and she does not look afraid of those photo ops.  In fact, she is very photogenic and beautiful.

 

Anyway, to each their own and we have seen it and heard it all.

 

Sorry off topic.  BACK to the original origins of this thread.

You really would be wise to not make comments about people when you do not have any idea what they are dealing with.

 

Either way, why do you think it is rude for someone to get on one of the earlier tenders or to get off the ship early?  Makes no sense.

 

We have never let me repeat never prevented anyone from getting off the ship if we chose to get off on an early tender or off the ship early.  

 

And because some like to dine with others including guests, members of the enrichment team and/or Officers and who might write about that why do you think that is bragging?

 

One of the things that many of us enjoy about Crystal are the people we sail with.  If it makes us happy so be it.

 

I have a simple piece of advice.  Please do not judge others, please do not judge others when you have absolutely no idea what they are dealing with, please do not think that only your way is the right way and when it comes to respect, one of the areas of respect is not to put others down.  As someone said to me, if one has nothing good to say about someone or something, better not to say anything.

 

And yes best to stay on topic but on this thread you have taken it off topic twice with comments about people who get off on early tenders and off the ship early and people who dine with officers which had nothing to do with the thread.  I ignored the first set of posts but once the second occurred I responded.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, unless one walks in someone’s shoes, it is inappropriate to make judgements on behavior that does not impact you or others.

 

There are way too many personal attacks on a public forum about cruising.

 

Ricki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You really would be wise to not make comments about people when you do not have any idea what they are dealing with.

 

Either way, why do you think it is rude for someone to get on one of the earlier tenders or to get off the ship early?  Makes no sense.

 

We have never let me repeat never prevented anyone from getting off the ship if we chose to get off on an early tender or off the ship early.  

 

And because some like to dine with others including guests, members of the enrichment team and/or Officers and who might write about that why do you think that is bragging?

 

One of the things that many of us enjoy about Crystal are the people we sail with.  If it makes us happy so be it.

 

I have a simple piece of advice.  Please do not judge others, please do not judge others when you have absolutely no idea what they are dealing with, please do not think that only your way is the right way and when it comes to respect, one of the areas of respect is not to put others down.  As someone said to me, if one has nothing good to say about someone or something, better not to say anything.

 

And yes best to stay on topic but on this thread you have taken it off topic twice with comments about people who get off on early tenders and off the ship early and people who dine with officers which had nothing to do with the thread.  I ignored the first set of posts but once the second occurred I responded.

 

 

 

Well said Keith. Personally I have found Suite Travels, oops, sorry, Malbec Wine's posts to be gratuitous and unnecessary. They certainly have not added anything to the discussion on this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there’s an unnecessary “ganging up” on Malbec.

 

We should be able to reread her posts with a bit more of goodwill and not so much in a negative light and be kind to one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ilikewhatisgood said:

I think there’s an unnecessary “ganging up” on Malbec.

 

We should be able to reread her posts with a bit more of goodwill and not so much in a negative light and be kind to one another.

 

Perhaps if Malbec would be more kind, the responding posts would be also. There's a major vendetta against one person in particular that no one understands.

 

By the way, she is a he.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

 

Perhaps if Malbec would be more kind, the responding posts would be also. There's a major vendetta against one person in particular that no one understands.

 

By the way, she is a he.

Patty has met us a few years ago along with Fred and Lynne who are our neighbors.  Yes, we are a married couple legally.

We are very kind people and have assisted others on cruises that truly need some help including helping people on or off the ship.  Our assistance is only needed for transfers in places we are not familiar with.  If somebody can do workouts and walk many miles and they need to be personally escorted on and off the ship makes me question why.  We get a porter and clear customs and immigration and then proceed to our meet and greet.

 

We always give way to people to people whome we feel need it.  Be it elevator or tenders and dining.  That’s who we are.

 

I am done with this and I thank ILiKWHATISGOOD for their comment.  At least somebody sees it.

 

No more comments from me on this subject.

Edited by MalbecWine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done several Celebrity cruises (and loved them) and are planning on doing the 2020 World Cruise on Crystal, our first Crystal cruise. Recent reviews of the ship (following the refurbishing) have not been as good as I had hoped...we are in a Deluxe Verandah Stateroom, B1. Some reviews mention how small and "old" it is, including the closets, etc...Are these rooms too small for 89 nights for two of us to enjoy? This is a VERY big trip for us (a once in a lifetime trip). As we have been on the EDGE, the new Celebrity ship, those rooms are quite nice (as is the ENTIRE ship) , so we are hoping this Crystal stateroom is not a disappointment.  (We hear from friends and reviews that Crystal is the BEST, that is why we chose it for our world cruise) Any thoughts would be appreciated. One other question I have: Is there a place to have dinner On Crystal (Serenity) that one can eat simply, maybe just a salad or simple sandwich, vs a big, fancy meal? For instance on Celebrity, they have the Ocean View Cafe if we don't want a big dinner. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always book a deluxe veranda suite. Haven't been on since they rebuilt the ship, though. When we have days at sea, we find there are so many public areas on the ship where you can spend time that are spacious, comfortable and quiet and you can have privacy if you want to, so we haven't felt the need for a larger cabin.  

 

And yes, there are places where you do not have to have a big meal.  The bistro on the 6th level, I recall, serves light snacks all day long.  Very nice meats, cheeses, breads, etc.  In the morning they have pastries and fruit for breakfast.  And the Marketplace (used to be The Lido) serves everything at lunch you could want.  There's a big buffet, a salad bar, sandwiches, soups, the works. It is always casual. Plus their in room dining is very good and you can get something lighter then.

 

If you are sailing on the Serenity there are even more options for casual dining as it is a larger ship.

 

Have a wonderful trip.  I saw my travel agent's video of the 2018 world cruise which she was on.  It looked absolutely fantastic and Crystal created so many very special events for the world cruisers in exotic ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JBL919 said:

We have done several Celebrity cruises (and loved them) and are planning on doing the 2020 World Cruise on Crystal, our first Crystal cruise. Recent reviews of the ship (following the refurbishing) have not been as good as I had hoped...we are in a Deluxe Verandah Stateroom, B1. Some reviews mention how small and "old" it is, including the closets, etc...Are these rooms too small for 89 nights for two of us to enjoy? This is a VERY big trip for us (a once in a lifetime trip). As we have been on the EDGE, the new Celebrity ship, those rooms are quite nice (as is the ENTIRE ship) , so we are hoping this Crystal stateroom is not a disappointment.  (We hear from friends and reviews that Crystal is the BEST, that is why we chose it for our world cruise) Any thoughts would be appreciated. One other question I have: Is there a place to have dinner On Crystal (Serenity) that one can eat simply, maybe just a salad or simple sandwich, vs a big, fancy meal? For instance on Celebrity, they have the Ocean View Cafe if we don't want a big dinner. Thanks.

How exciting you will be on WC 2020.  

 

On our first Crystal World Cruise we stayed in a standard stateroom on Deck 8.

 

It was a 107 day cruise.

 

The closet could have been a challenge but we brought a lot of wire hangers (you could get them on board if you like) and had them remove most of the wooden hangers.  We also brought a shoe rack and some metal hangers that held multiple pants.

If we had clothing for different climates we could keep the ones not needed right away in a suitcase under the bed.  Bottom line you can get through this.  The majority of Full World Cruisers are in standard room and many without a verandah.

 

For a salad we make one each day at Marketplace which is a buffet. There are ready made sandwiches there that change each day.

 

If you want a salmon sandwich or a hamburger or a veggie burger you can get that at the. Trident Grill.

 

In the evening should you want just a salad or salad and veggies you could go to the Brazilian Restaurant for that.  They do serve lots of meats and other items which you can have but if you want something light and fast you could just have the salad and veggies.

 

I am doing a blog from the current world cruise which is at www.followourtrips.com

 

From there click on the tab at the top that says current blog.  You can also get our history of previous World Cruises on our blog.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to say also that if you want a more simple lighter meal in the evening you can still dine in the main dining room (Waterside) and just order a soup (they have two on the menu each evening) and a salad - many salad choices on the menu. All meals in Waterside can be requested in appetiser portions as well so you can really have a nice light meal and still enjoy the ambience of the dining room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JBL919 said:

 Is there a place to have dinner On Crystal (Serenity) that one can eat simply, maybe just a salad or simple sandwich, vs a big, fancy meal?

I have not sailed on Serenity since it's refit, but you can have a simple meal in Waterside by just ordering the pieces you like, perhaps soup and a salad or steamed veg, or a baked potato and steamed veg, etc.  You do not have to have a big fancy meal if you don't feel like it.   In Nobu, it's also easy to get soup and tempura or sushi.  I don't know about Tastes, but I'm sure it's possible there too.  Room service could bring you soup and a salad too, and the "Brazilian" restaurant looks like a full dinner for large amounts of meat, but I've eaten there without getting any of the grilled meat, enjoying salads, veggies, and a baked potato.  And the Bistro usually has cold meats, cheeses, and bread available (it would be nice if they offered soup!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add if you see something on the room service menu and you want to be outside the cabin and eat in Waterside formerly the CDR...no problem.  The galleys are connected.  Also, take a galley tour when offered and you will see.  Also they have a Kosher kitchen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...