Luggage Drop Southampton

Kangakid

Just wondering what would be the earliest we could drop our luggage at Southampton port.  We should arrive between 10am and 11am and want to see a bit of Southampton before we board later in the afternoon.  Any ideas...

cheers V

It might depend on the terminal, because 101 City Terminal doesn't open the big gate until about 10.30. (RCI, Celebrity and non Carnival ships) I've dropped off luggage there at 10.30am, and gone back to the hotel for coffee...Other than that, I don't think it will matter too much- if the luggage door is open.

If you are referring to gate 8 or gate 10, they were both open for our visit. We walked our bags after Debarking the P&O Azura to drop our bags for our Royal Navigator of the Seas cruise. As mentioned we did this at 9.15am (debarked 25minutes earlier) and then went checked in straight away as it was open as well. We then went into the old town and had a look around. This was on a Sunday so perhaps that was why it (Gate 8 )  was opened earlier.

1 hour ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

I want to drop bags and then go find salted snacks and other forbidden goodness.

How close is the nearest 'ye olde convenience shoppe'?

Approximately 7 minute walk from gate 8, there is a couple of supermarkets, ASDA and a Tesco, they sell alcohol but you need to be careful of the day and hours. We were there on a Sunday and they would not sell alcohol prior to noon at the ASDA so I went to the Tesco and used self service, no problem.

9 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

I want to drop bags and then go find salted snacks and other forbidden goodness.

How close is the nearest 'ye olde convenience shoppe'?

Depends on your cruise terminal.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

From City Cruise Terminal (berth 101) it's a 10 min walk to the city centre.

Whether you go to the West Quay Mall or the main shopping street (Above Bar) or old-town you'll find relief for your cravings.

From Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46) it's a ten-minute walk to the waterfront of old-town (one ot two newsagent-type shops) or further to the city centre shops.

From QE11 (berth 38/39) or Mayflower (berth 105/6) terminals you'll need a taxi.

You don't say how you're travelling to the terminal. If by taxi drop your luggage then get the driver to drop you in the city centre, if by ship's transfer bus they go direct to the ship with no stops so buy before you board the bus - or you might persuade the driver to drop you somewhere convenient on his way out after he's offloaded at the terminal.

JB :classic_smile:

7 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

thankee to all for responses.

I am not sure where Sapphire Princess will depart from so I shall plan to stock up the night before as we have accomm in Soton

The port listing linked in my post above shows your berth, which varies depending which date you sail.

Simpler if you buy the evening before - but not if that's a sunday or a holiday monday, when many shops will be closed.

JB :classic_smile: