Cole's notes needed on placeholders

mom2miracles

Hi all! We took our first Disney Cruise last Spring - four nights on Disney Dream, and stupidly didn't pre-book for our next cruise. I was under the impression that because we had cruised once with Disney we could take advantage of the "perks" once off ship. Wrong. Anyways, we are going back this Spring and doing 7 nights on Disney Fantasy, and I want to be sure we do it right this time. Can someone give me the in's and out's of doing this, what perks you get, the savings, etc etc. 

Thanks a bunch!!

• mom2miracles changed the title to Cole's notes needed on placeholders

You typically will get some onboard credit based on cruise length and for some cruises you will get a discount on the cruise.  longer cruises get a discounted deposit as well.

There are black out dates.

We typically do an actual placeholder for $250 and then we can decide what date works for us best later.

You can do two placeholders per cabin at $250 each. There are cards that you fill out and drop in a box, so it's really painless. If you are using a TA, you need to name them on the card. That gets you a small on board credit and 10% off the cruise price. You need to set sail within 2 years of getting the placeholder. Not book, but sail, and not the date of the cruise you buy it on, but the actual date you buy it on, so drop the card the last night.

Sounds pretty straight forward and glad I don't have to sit and talk to someone, lol. Are the cards easily found on the ship? 

If its only two placeholders per stateroom, what happens to the other people in the room? How would the discounts work if more than two people (in the same family, same stateroom) want to cruise together?

What are the typical blackout dates? Is there blackouts on destinations and lengths of cruises, or just dates?

We have booked more than 2 per cabin..But if the same family in the cabin, the additional ones may not get all the same perks (no discount)..but usually some.

For that you do need to go to the desk and it varies by who you talk to.

5 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

Sounds pretty straight forward and glad I don't have to sit and talk to someone, lol. Are the cards easily found on the ship? 

If its only two placeholders per stateroom, what happens to the other people in the room? How would the discounts work if more than two people (in the same family, same stateroom) want to cruise together?

What are the typical blackout dates? Is there blackouts on destinations and lengths of cruises, or just dates?

The $250 placeholder is per cabin, not per person.  You can PURCHASE 2 placeholders per cabin, so you can actually purchase 2 different cruise dates in the future.  Each placeholder is good for any or all of the people in the cabin.  So if you are cruising as a family of 4 this time, your placeholder can be used later for just mom and dad or for all 4.  You cannot give your placeholder to your cousin who is not with you on this cruise, but you could cruise next time as mom and dad with the cousin in the same room.  Since you can buy 2 placeholders, you can use one in April and one in December (or any other months you choose).  

Things to know--there are black out dates when the placeholders cannot be used.  You must CRUISE within 2 years of the booking date (some other lines make you book within 2 years).  The "perks" depend on the length of the cruise you are booking, but basically are a discount on the cruise fare portion of the ticket on the booking date and a little onboard credit.  It used to be a lot more, but all good things come to an end.

I hope that makes sense.

The drop off cards are available at the "future cruise" desk.  You can walk by and pick one up any time.  You'll also usually get them in the various pages of junk that are delivered to your cabin.  For your TA to get credit, you need to be sure to list their name and agency on the form.  It used to have a space for their phone number as well--not bad to write it in just in case!

Thanks everyone!

Does anyone happen to know when the blackout dates are?

We usually only cruise during two times of the year, and I have a feeling they are both during the blackout dates. BUT, we are thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise in 2020, which I assume are non blackout dates. 

11 minutes ago, mom2miracles said:

Thanks everyone!

Does anyone happen to know when the blackout dates are?

We usually only cruise during two times of the year, and I have a feeling they are both during the blackout dates. BUT, we are thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise in 2020, which I assume are non blackout dates. 

Typically over holiday sailings or very busy typical sailing dates

On 1/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, mom2miracles said:

You may book up to 2 placeholders per household address.  If everyone in your room has the same household address, you can only book 2 placeholders.  If there are different household addresses, each one can book up to 2 placeholders.

Discount on the future cruise you select to put your placeholder on are 10% deposit on cruises of 7 nights and longer; OBC of $100 for cruises 6 nights and shorter, $200 OBC for cruises 7 nights and longer; 10% discount on cruise rate (not including taxes and port fees) for same future cruise.

Edited by Shmoo here