Upcoming Cruise ... freaking out a little ...

VisionaryJax

My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary in March with a "trip of a lifetime." We've been planning it for over a year and saving for it for some time. We used to take an occasional cruise with his kids when we were all younger -- Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and once we did a Princess Cruise. But it's been I would say at least 10 years since we did any cruising.

We're not independently wealthy people, but we wanted to do things first class and cruise for at least 2 weeks, so we had to be economical about our choices. We found Oceania's 16-day cruise from Papeete to Lima, Peru, offered a longer itinerary for less dollars because there are fewer ports of call; they're apparently moving Marina out of the South Pacific with this cruise, so that worked in our favor: we could afford a nice suite with a hot-tub on the balcony, for 16 days at more of a 10-day price.

And our cruise broker set us up with a credit card that gave us bonus points for United Airlines, so we paid for the cruise on the card (and paid it off) and were able to get one set of business class airfare tickets using points and only had to pay cash for one set, which meant we could fly business class to Papeete and home from Lima, which is what we wanted. We're old and traveled a lot for work before my husband retired, and we're done with coach class. He didn't even want to do an international flight if it wasn't business class.

We loved the looks and sound of Oceania with an older clientele and great food, plus we're spending 3 nights in Papeete beforehand at the Holiday Inn there in an overwater bungalow, and I'm trying to put together a little informal ceremony on the beach  for us to renew our wedding vows.

Then the cruise goes to a couple other French Polynesian islands, then a bunch of days at sea, a stop at Easter Island, then on to Lima and home.

It all sounds enchanting! And we've been looking forward to it for so long now. The thing is, this our more-or-less 3 weeks in the sun ... we'll probably never have the means to make another trip like this again ... and maybe the anticipation of it is better than the actual cruising. Because then it will be over!

So I am freaking out a little because we depart from home in Houston in less than 8 weeks and ...

• We booked the Papeete hotel on Expedia because it was a bargain (for an overwater bungalow, it was a bargain, still really steep) and I worry what if the hotel just bumps us because they can rent the bungalow for more themselves?
  • Plus it's difficult communicating with the hotel at this distance, and I am not exactly sure how to find out about a vow renewal on the beach -- sent an email, waiting to hear back.
  • I want to take a day trip to Moorea one of the days we're on Papeete, and I see how the ferry works, but I am not sure what to book for us on Moorea that day or how to do that.
  • Also I am having a little difficulty finding information on shore excursions - the Oceania excursions don't seem that exciting, but I want to have our tours planned in advance, and I want to do scuba diving on the FP islands, which Oceania doesn't even offer ...
  • And I want to pick up black pearls for our grown-up girls and know nothing about choosing nice ones and not spendig a bundle ... Not that the girls would know the dif as long as the pearls looked pretty.
  • Our senior dog, who is diabetic, has been getting more and more feeble. We have a great house-sitter/dog-sitter, but 3 weeks is a long time to leave the little fellow! I attach a photo of him and me. He is a rescue terrier.

I'm really looking forward to the trip, but I am having some anxiety about it, too. So, if you have any soothing words and advice, I would be happy to hear them!

Photo 47_2.jpg

Take a couple of deep breaths and relax 🙂

It sounds like you planned a wonderful trip and I KNOW that you will enjoy it.

You can find tons on info about French Polynesia on this forum as well as on Ports of Call forum.

For starters, take a look at this thread with lots of info:

You can do searches for other info typing in French Polynesia or Moorea into the search box.

We have a black lab that is 14 1/2 so I understand your worries.

Good luck and enjoy

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

Speaking as someone who is also going there in March beit with a different company we are really looking forward to our cruise visiting some of the same Islands.Just finished watching a German cruise video of a ship visiting many of the same islands and it all looks out of this world.

Some of the tours may already be fully booked but do check out https://albert-transport.net/ to see if they have any offers available in Moorea. Speaking as an Oceania fan with four cruises done and two booked I am absolutely sure you will love it. The Marina/Riviera are beautiful ships not too small not too big the only danger is that you might get addicted!

Last but not least I suggest you visit the roll call for your cruise and see if anyone is still looking for people to join their tours and also to register for the M&G to meet up with fellow passengers at the beginning of your cruise.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/marina-march-2-2019/

Relax enjoy your planning.

Rosalyn

• Like 1

DEEP BREATH

Take one issue at a time ..if you have confirmation on the hotel why would they bump you ??

check the  ports of call forum for things to do in the ports

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/62-pacific-islands-all/

maybe people on your roll call will have private tours you can join

There was a lengthy thread here on a a cruise to FP with lots of info on guides etc..

enjoy

• Like 2

Some advise -- seems like we all chimed in at once you have lots of advise...

Point 1 and Point 2.   Try phoning the hotel.   It certainly easier than an email and you can talk with somebody.

Shore excursion.  Check using Trip advisor, tours by local and  you can also post on your role cal for this cruise and the specific area.

Roll call --  some may have same interest and you may be able to share a private tour

You can get some answers to your other questions here --

Regarding your love... we have also some  older dogs.  Maybe for some peace of mind take to the Vet before you leave.  Make sure your sitter has your Vet info.  

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

Oh my goodness, y'all are wonderful! Thank you so much for each reply! I am shocked and so pleased how quickly this got responses! I am at work right now but will check the links you suggested -- and take a deep breath! LOL.

I didn't even know roll call was a thing, so we will definitely check that out, how exciting.

More replies later. THANK YOU  all again!

• Like 1

Moorea is very doable on your own.  Take the ferry over from Papeete and rent a car.  Avis rents there as does Alberts.  Reserve your car ahead of time particularly if you want an automatic. There are probably others, but those are the two I am aware of.  There is one road that circles the island.  Belvedere is a must as the views are spectacular.  French Polynesia is one of our favorites.  Your trip will be wonderful!

While staying at the Hilton on Moorea a couple of years ago, we witnessed a beach wedding.  I know you aren't staying there, but it might be worth inquiring about a beach vow renewal.

• Like 1

I was unaware that there is a Holiday Inn in Tahiti. Wonder if you're talking about the Intercontinental which is an IHG property such as the Holiday Inn. If so, the hotel is quite large but if you booked an OTW bungalow, you did well! I think they've been remodeled lately...good timing as they were in need.

BTW, when getting a cab at the airport, tell the driver you want to go to the Intercontinental, not the Holiday Inn....because I seriously doubt they will know what you're talking about. 

If you want to have a drive around the island or have a taxi waiting for you at the airport, let me know. We know a very reliable women who speaks English well and is very nice.

Also, look for pearl shops around Le Marche in Papeete. Good deals to be had if you have the time.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, you are going to have a blast!!!!  You are going to paradise!  As soon as you arrive in Papeete, you will feel the stress totally melt away!

I wasn't aware of a Holiday Inn in Papeete.  If you booked through IHG, then you probably are at the Intercontinental.  It is 10 minutes tops from the airport.  I stayed at an overwater bungalow at that property in March.  It is AMAZING.  you will love it.  Just send them an email and they will help confirm the ceremony details. 

I also took the ferry to Moorea after our cruise.  There are two ferries that go from Papeete to Moorea.  They are located right next to each other.  Super easy.  Just take a taxi from the IC to the ferry pier.  Pay for your tickets, drop off any bags with the porter and then just relax for the 30-40 min ride.  The Avis is right across the street from the ferry in Moorea.  Just reserve ahead of time and the car will be ready for you.  The link above to Hoopster's review of the March cruise will be really helpful.  It includes two stops in Moorea and a TON of detail.  It will also include the IC in Papeete. 

As for tours, I can help you there as well, but it might just be easiest to read Hoopster's review and either one of us can help you get contact info for the tours that interest you.  Definitely second Patrick's tour in Bora Bora.  One of kind, highlight of the trip.  Just email them and see if they have availability.  Their company name is Maohi Nui. 

What suite are you in?  We were in 12001.  I did a review of that suite on Hoopster's review if you want to get an idea of the features/style. 

Please let me know if you need any information! 

• Like 2

We did this exact itinerary on Marina in 2016.  After 28 cruises it was one of the top 3 memorable cruises.  It is worth the anxiety.!!!

Re the Papeete hotel.  You are not visiting the surface of the moon. Even if all goes wrong (which it wont) there are plenty other places to stay.  And Pepeete is not  dangerous.  The regular citizen is warm and friendly.  We had 5 days at the IHG and spent a day doing what locals do. Shopping at Carrafours, walking around downtown.  Very Friendly. 

Hint, if you are able to snorkle,  you will never forget it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, delee78 said:

Oh my goodness, you are going to have a blast!!!!  You are going to paradise!  As soon as you arrive in Papeete, you will feel the stress totally melt away!

I wasn't aware of a Holiday Inn in Papeete.  If you booked through IHG, then you probably are at the Intercontinental.  It is 10 minutes tops from the airport.  I stayed at an overwater bungalow at that property in March.  It is AMAZING.  you will love it.  Just send them an email and they will help confirm the ceremony details. 

I also took the ferry to Moorea after our cruise.  There are two ferries that go from Papeete to Moorea.  They are located right next to each other.  Super easy.  Just take a taxi from the IC to the ferry pier.  Pay for your tickets, drop off any bags with the porter and then just relax for the 30-40 min ride.  The Avis is right across the street from the ferry in Moorea.  Just reserve ahead of time and the car will be ready for you.  The link above to Hoopster's review of the March cruise will be really helpful.  It includes two stops in Moorea and a TON of detail.  It will also include the IC in Papeete. 

As for tours, I can help you there as well, but it might just be easiest to read Hoopster's review and either one of us can help you get contact info for the tours that interest you.  Definitely second Patrick's tour in Bora Bora.  One of kind, highlight of the trip.  Just email them and see if they have availability.  Their company name is Maohi Nui. 

What suite are you in?  We were in 12001.  I did a review of that suite on Hoopster's review if you want to get an idea of the features/style. 

There is no Holiday Inn on Tahiti. IHG's Intercontinental hotels/resorts are a world apart in quality from budget priced Holiday Inns.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Take a couple of deep breaths and relax 🙂

It sounds like you planned a wonderful trip and I KNOW that you will enjoy it.

You can find tons on info about French Polynesia on this forum as well as on Ports of Call forum....

You can do searches for other info typing in French Polynesia or Moorea into the search box. 

We have a black lab that is 14 1/2 so I understand your worries.

Good luck and enjoy

Thank you! Aw, your doggie sounds like a good pup! We don't know exactly how old our Barney is because he was a stray and then went into terrier rescue, but we've had him for 10 years, so he is no spring chicken, and he is like a little old man with his health problems.

I did look at Hoopster's review, which was fabulous! And thanks for the other ideas to get info here on this site.! 🙂

4 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Speaking as someone who is also going there in March beit with a different company we are really looking forward to our cruise visiting some of the same Islands.Just finished watching a German cruise video of a ship visiting many of the same islands and it all looks out of this world.

Some of the tours may already be fully booked but do check out https://albert-transport.net/ to see if they have any offers available in Moorea. Speaking as an Oceania fan with four cruises done and two booked I am absolutely sure you will love it. The Marina/Riviera are beautiful ships not too small not too big the only danger is that you might get addicted! 

Last but not least I suggest you visit the roll call for your cruise and see if anyone is still looking for people to join their tours and also to register for the M&G to meet up with fellow passengers at the beginning of your cruise.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/marina-march-2-2019/

Relax enjoy your planning.

Rosalyn

Thank you Rosalyn! So glad to hear you are an Oceania fan -- and thanks for the roll call link; I didn't even know it existed. I can't afford to become addicted to Oceania, but the photos and refuse make it seem like a really good choice. When we went before with the kids, we were really just doing the family stuff ... I think this is going to be so different and fun.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

DEEP BREATH

Take one issue at a time ..if you have confirmation on the hotel why would they bump you ?? 

check the  ports of call forum for things to do in the ports

maybe people on your roll call will have private tours you can join

There was a lengthy thread here on a a cruise to FP with lots of info on guides etc.. 

enjoy

Thank you for the link and the ideas! I thought the hotel might just refund what Expedia charged and rent the room to someone who would pay full price and booked with them ... but there's no reason why they should, you're right. 🙂

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Some advise -- seems like we all chimed in at once you have lots of advise...

Point 1 and Point 2.   Try phoning the hotel.   It certainly easier than an email and you can talk with somebody. 

Shore excursion.  Check using Trip advisor, tours by local and  you can also post on your role cal for this cruise and the specific area.

Roll call --  some may have same interest and you may be able to share a private tour

You can get some answers to your other questions here --

Regarding your love... we have also some  older dogs.  Maybe for some peace of mind take to the Vet before you leave.  Make sure your sitter has your Vet info.  

Thank you so much for the links! It would be great if we already knew people from online ... I didn't even know about Roll Call here, so this is great. Yes, our dog Barney will definitely get the once-over from his vet before we go, and also his dog-sitter is a vet tech, so I shouldn't worry. It just seems a long time to leave him.

2 hours ago, gabelle said:

Moorea is very doable on your own.  Take the ferry over from Papeete and rent a car.  Avis rents there as does Alberts.  Reserve your car ahead of time particularly if you want an automatic. There are probably others, but those are the two I am aware of.  There is one road that circles the island.  Belvedere is a must as the views are spectacular.  French Polynesia is one of our favorites.  Your trip will be wonderful! 

While staying at the Hilton on Moorea a couple of years ago, we witnessed a beach wedding.  I know you aren't staying there, but it might be worth inquiring about a beach vow renewal.

Oh, thank you! That is a great thought about doing the vow renewal on our day trip to Moorea. I read good things about the Hilton (on this site I believe), but my husband is older and didn't want to haul luggage to the ferry terminal and/or risk trying to get back on the ferry to PPT on the morning the cruise leaves and miss the boat, so we made our land part of the tour just there in Papeete.

1 hour ago, vaitape said:

I was unaware that there is a Holiday Inn in Tahiti. Wonder if you're talking about the Intercontinental which is an IHG property such as the Holiday Inn. If so, the hotel is quite large but if you booked an OTW bungalow, you did well! I think they've been remodeled lately...good timing as they were in need. 

BTW, when getting a cab at the airport, tell the driver you want to go to the Intercontinental, not the Holiday Inn....because I seriously doubt they will know what you're talking about. 

If you want to have a drive around the island or have a taxi waiting for you at the airport, let me know. We know a very reliable women who speaks English well and is very nice.

Also, look for pearl shops around Le Marche in Papeete. Good deals to be had if you have the time.

Thank you! I said the Holiday Inn but I meant the Intercontinental which is a part of IHG as others have noted. And you're right I probably would have said the same thing to the cab driver! LOL. I think I read about Le Marche on Trip Advisor, but I am glad you give it a personal recommendation, too. I think the hotel will do a transfer for us from the airport to the property, but we might like to have your friend give us a tour! Thanks! I will PM you.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP: if nothing else, book a tour on Bora Bora with Patrick ASAP: http://www.maohinui.net/en/lagon-et-festin-polynesien 

you will not be disappointed!

IMG_4225.JPG

Thank you! I am appreciating all the recommendations and Patrick looks like the real deal.

33 minutes ago, delee78 said:

12008 -is our suite -- Yes, I read Hoopster's review, and I was very excited about your description of your suite which I think is similiar to the one we'll be in. And thank you so much for your information and recommendations. I will go back through the review and see about excursions; I appreciate your offer to help get me connected.

18 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

We did this exact itinerary on Marina in 2016.  After 28 cruises it was one of the top 3 memorable cruises.  It is worth the anxiety.!!!

Re the Papeete hotel.  You are not visiting the surface of the moon. Even if all goes wrong (which it wont) there are plenty other places to stay.  And Pepeete is not  dangerous.  The regular citizen is warm and friendly.  We had 5 days at the IHG and spent a day doing what locals do. Shopping at Carrafours, walking around downtown.  Very Friendly. 

Hint, if you are able to snorkle,  you will never forget it. 

Thank you so mcuh for this! It is great to know from someone who has been that it's safe -- and of course you are right, even if everything went wrong, we're not children -- we would get it sorted. LOL, thank you for the reminder!

I was not sure how to format this reply as it is a long time since I was on an internet forum -- I HOPE when I hit post that it looks all right -- and that everyone can figure out to whom I was replying. The main thing I want to say to everyone is THANK YOU! What a lovely community of cruisers to respond so quickly and so positively. Y'all are terrific! I promise I will try to keep detailed notes and do a review, too.

• Like 1

Good news and bad news :classic_wink:

Good news - you will LOVE your Oceania Suite

Bad news - it will be hard to sail in anything less in the future :classic_biggrin:

Remember that you can exchange the complimentary alcohol in your bar for any others - Vodka for Gin or wine, etc

You can dine ensuite from any specialty restaurant course by course on those days when you had a long day ashore and just want to dine in a bathrobe and slippers instead of getting dressed up. :classic_happy:

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

I've been in your exact room, but on Riviera. Of course they're just alike I think. Here are some pictures to whet your appetite. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1892358-oceania-suite-v-penthouse-suite/?tab=comments#comment-40004025

I didn't realize that Photobucket had put the pictures back they used to host. I guess that charging for their service didn't work out so well for them. It's good to know any pictures I've posted in the past are back. 

• Like 2

The I’m so excited for you!!!  You will love Marina and this trip.  We did this itinerary in 2015 or 2016.  

Definitely check your roll call to see if you can join private tours.  

Another vote for Patrick in Bora Bora. Fabulous day.  

Francky Frank gives wonderful tours in Moorea.  He is offbeat, hilarious and fun.  Check with him to see if he can meet your ferry, otherwise rent a car.   

Many cruisers arrive in Papeete a few days early but then ferry to Moorea to one of the resorts there.  We used a company called Tahitian Legends for a great package deal, ferry, transfers, three nights at the Moorea Intercontinental Hotel.  We stayed overnight in Papette on the day we arrived in FP.  

The ferry in Papeete is centrally located in the town and is a few slips away from where Marina will dock.  

The ferry terminal on Moorea is not centrally located, a car or a tour guide picking you up is essential.  

Is your cruise doing Easter Island?  If so, this is a great locale for private tours.  

For Pitcairn, make sure you attend all the lectures.  Residents of the islands will probably come  on board, hawk  some stuff and give  a few talks about life on the island.  The destination expert will present some stunning info the next day.  I won’t spoil it but you will be mesmerized. 

Enjoy

Edited by sammiedawg
  • Like 1

We're currently on the Marina but from San Antonio to Papeetee.

So far it has been a great cruise. We had two full days on Rapa Nui (Easter Island).

Day one we did a one day (8 hour) tour with Green Island Tours. There was so much information and we saw everything we wanted to see. For us, a 2 day tour would have been too much. We had 5 days of sea day lectures leading up to Easter Island!

Day 2 on Easter Island we set up a car rental with Oceanic Car Rental. They did not show up at the appointed time. I had printed out the email exchange with the company showing we would meet at 9am. They were there at 8. We waited until 10am then walked into town (about 1 1/2 miles). They were very sorry but had no cars left by the time we arrived at their office.

We ended having a fun day in Hanga Roa and saved the $100 for the rental.

Our other ports will be Fakarava, Bora Bora, Raiatea and Tahiti. We are also spending 3 day visiting Moorea. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 1

I agree about shopping for pearls in the Papeete Marche.  I’ve found many lovely pearls there.  Last time we were there (about a year ago), I bought several for gifts.  They range anywhere from$10 (great for kids) to $25-50 (better for adult gifts.  You’ll notice the quality difference).  Walk around once and get a feel of the various pearls.  Walk around again and pick up the ones that stood out.  Go upstairs too.  You can do a bit of negotiating if you buy more than a couple at a vendor.  But some are so inexpensive, it’s not worth haggling.  Ahh... shopping for pearls at the Marche - one of my favorite things to do.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Good news and bad news :classic_wink:

Good news - you will LOVE your Oceania Suite

Bad news - it will be hard to sail in anything less in the future :classic_biggrin:

Remember that you can exchange the complimentary alcohol in your bar for any others - Vodka for Gin or wine, etc

You can dine ensuite from any specialty restaurant course by course on those days when you had a long day ashore and just want to dine in a bathrobe and slippers instead of getting dressed up. :classic_happy:

Oh wow I didn't know that about the in room dining, that's cool. And I was wondering about what alcohol would be in our complimentary bar -- I don't drink spirits much, so that's good to know. Thanks so much!

17 hours ago, ORV said:

I've been in your exact room, but on Riviera. Of course they're just alike I think. Here are some pictures to whet your appetite. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1892358-oceania-suite-v-penthouse-suite/?tab=comments#comment-40004025

I didn't realize that Photobucket had put the pictures back they used to host. I guess that charging for their service didn't work out so well for them. It's good to know any pictures I've posted in the past are back. 

Oh wow, that's fantastic! Thank you!

16 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

The I’m so excited for you!!!  You will love Marina and this trip.  We did this itinerary in 2015 or 2016.  

Definitely check your roll call to see if you can join private tours.  

Another vote for Patrick in Bora Bora. Fabulous day.  

Francky Frank gives wonderful tours in Moorea.  He is offbeat, hilarious and fun.  Check with him to see if he can meet your ferry, otherwise rent a car.   

Many cruisers arrive in Papeete a few days early but then ferry to Moorea to one of the resorts there.  We used a company called Tahitian Legends for a great package deal, ferry, transfers, three nights at the Moorea Intercontinental Hotel.  We stayed overnight in Papette on the day we arrived in FP.  

The ferry in Papeete is centrally located in the town and is a few slips away from where Marina will dock.  

The ferry terminal on Moorea is not centrally located, a car or a tour guide picking you up is essential.  

Is your cruise doing Easter Island?  If so, this is a great locale for private tours.  

For Pitcairn, make sure you attend all the lectures.  Residents of the islands will probably come  on board, hawk  some stuff and give  a few talks about life on the island.  The destination expert will present some stunning info the next day.  I won’t spoil it but you will be mesmerized. 

Enjoy

Thank you for the recommendations! Yes, Easter island for one day -- and thanks for the info on Pitcairn, too; I wasn't sure what the Pitcairn Island experience was, as we don't go ashore. Very excited!

14 hours ago, Sea42 said:

We're currently on the Marina but from San Antonio to Papeetee.

So far it has been a great cruise. We had two full days on Rapa Nui (Easter Island).

Day one we did a one day (8 hour) tour with Green Island Tours. There was so much information and we saw everything we wanted to see. For us, a 2 day tour would have been too much. We had 5 days of sea day lectures leading up to Easter Island!

Day 2 on Easter Island we set up a car rental with Oceanic Car Rental. They did not show up at the appointed time. I had printed out the email exchange with the company showing we would meet at 9am. They were there at 8. We waited until 10am then walked into town (about 1 1/2 miles). They were very sorry but had no cars left by the time we arrived at their office.

We ended having a fun day in Hanga Roa and saved the $100 for the rental.

Our other ports will be Fakarava, Bora Bora, Raiatea and Tahiti. We are also spending 3 day visiting Moorea. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the recommendation of Green Tours for Easter Island, we are only there one day, so I will probably try to book that. And thanks for taking time from your cruise to reply! I will certainly PM you for more information after you visit the other FP islands. Also, have you done any treatments at Canyon Ranch Spa? That looks great for days at sea.

12 hours ago, dcsam said:

I agree about shopping for pearls in the Papeete Marche.  I’ve found many lovely pearls there.  Last time we were there (about a year ago), I bought several for gifts.  They range anywhere from$10 (great for kids) to $25-50 (better for adult gifts.  You’ll notice the quality difference).  Walk around once and get a feel of the various pearls.  Walk around again and pick up the ones that stood out.  Go upstairs too.  You can do a bit of negotiating if you buy more than a couple at a vendor.  But some are so inexpensive, it’s not worth haggling.  Ahh... shopping for pearls at the Marche - one of my favorite things to do.  

Thank you ! This is great information. I will certainly be able to find gifts for our kiddos.

I see me reply previous to this got formatted all crazy, but I hope everyone could see to whom I was replying -- all the posts have been so helpful and reassuring! Thank you all again!

VisionaryJax

(Can you believe when I set up my account, I misspelled my own username?) LOL

Edited by VisioaryJax

18 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

We were booked with Easter Island  Spirit, unfortunately we did not get ashore due to wave action.  Crossing my fingers you get in.  

me too! we would be so disappointed! i wish they had arranged for 2 days there, just in case? but here's hoping! sorry you didn't make it. 😞

3 minutes ago, VisioaryJax said:

me too! we would be so disappointed! i wish they had arranged for 2 days there, just in case? but here's hoping! sorry you didn't make it. 😞

I was actually looking at taking the cruise your going on, but one of the main reasons I didn't is because of no overnight at Easter Island. I'm toying with taking the smart advice on EI and just taking a land trip there. I do like to cruise though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I was actually looking at taking the cruise your going on, but one of the main reasons I didn't is because of no overnight at Easter Island. I'm toying with taking the smart advice on EI and just taking a land trip there. I do like to cruise though. 

One option may be doing what we did. 

If you take a cruise from Rio or BA to Santiago (or v.v.) then you can fly from Santiago to EI for a package of 4 days/3 nights (as the flights are not daily).

That way you’ll do a cruise and also be assured of seeing EI; it’s a long way to go just to EI itself.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

You will love being in paradise.  As a fellow dog lover, I was so saddened in the back areas of Papettee to see so many stray dogs, super skinny just lying in the roads.  In hindsight I wish I had taken a small baggie of dry dog food to give them some nourishment, especially those that were nursing.  They come right up to you when you get out of the car.  Our spoiled 14 1/2 year old german shorthaired pointer and our cat don't have a clue how spoiled they are. 

Enjoy your  cruise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jdm said:

You will love being in paradise.  As a fellow dog lover, I was so saddened in the back areas of Papettee to see so many stray dogs, super skinny just lying in the roads.  In hindsight I wish I had taken a small baggie of dry dog food to give them some nourishment, especially those that were nursing.  They come right up to you when you get out of the car.  Our spoiled 14 1/2 year old german shorthaired pointer and our cat don't have a clue how spoiled they are. 

Enjoy your  cruise!

I share your concern as we are dog lovers as well.

A word of caution as we encountered this in the past. While traveling in rural South America we brought some food with us to do just what you wanted to do and it caused a terrible fight among the dogs fighting for the food. We never tried that again (unless there is only 1 dog).

• Like 1