Millennium Revolution -

Jim_Iain

We won't book a CS because of the enclosed bedroom and the inability to view the ocean. The bedroom looks so cramped that we book a SS. We love the Grand Suite on RCCL because of the open floor plan. Was hoping the CS would have been modified after the revolution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AC Stew said:

After reviewing the posted balcony cabin photos (as well as those sent by a friend cruising on the Millie), I do have concerns. We're not "suite" people. But we have graduated to appreciating Aqua Class.

Regardless of the balcony category, the full length sofa is a feature that we fully utilize. The sofa with coffee table is the ideal seating/setting for early morning coffee. So now, we have to lie on the bed with our coffee and toast? Furthermore, my husband stakes out that sofa for his afternoon naps. He absolutely loves it. While on a recent Reflection sailing, we noticed that the sofa was a little worse for wear, it still served us well.

I don't like that the sofa has been removed and replaced with an oversized "chair." I don't like the removal of the coffee table. True,  the renovated cabins are freshened (in a sterile kinda way). But as many have already commented, I wonder if the designer has actually ever cruised! As I've said many times, the new cabins appear to resemble lovely Euro-style hotel rooms, but for me, it appears that something has been lost. A ship's stateroom is not a hotel room, it's a" home away from home."

I'm not overly concerned about the paint colour of the ship's exterior, or even changes to interior public spaces. What's important for me, is a comfortable, functional cabin with sufficient closet and drawer stowage. Some folks like the new arrangement, others do not. I guess I'll have to see how it all works for us, but from the photos, I'm disappointed.

I agree with your sentiments.

Imo, the rooms have been purposefully redesigned to discourage guests from spending too much time in their cabins. This includes making it harder or nearly impossible to enjoy room service.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AC Stew said:

After reviewing the posted balcony cabin photos (as well as those sent by a friend cruising on the Millie), I do have concerns. We're not "suite" people. But we have graduated to appreciating Aqua Class.

Regardless of the balcony category, the full length sofa is a feature that we fully utilize. The sofa with coffee table is the ideal seating/setting for early morning coffee. So now, we have to lie on the bed with our coffee and toast? Furthermore, my husband stakes out that sofa for his afternoon naps. He absolutely loves it. While on a recent Reflection sailing, we noticed that the sofa was a little worse for wear, it still served us well.

I don't like that the sofa has been removed and replaced with an oversized "chair." I don't like the removal of the coffee table. True,  the renovated cabins are freshened (in a sterile kinda way). But as many have already commented, I wonder if the designer has actually ever cruised! As I've said many times, the new cabins appear to resemble lovely Euro-style hotel rooms, but for me, it appears that something has been lost. A ship's stateroom is not a hotel room, it's a" home away from home."

I'm not overly concerned about the paint colour of the ship's exterior, or even changes to interior public spaces. What's important for me, is a comfortable, functional cabin with sufficient closet and drawer stowage. Some folks like the new arrangement, others do not. I guess I'll have to see how it all works for us, but from the photos, I'm disappointed.

We feel the same way about the sofa and coffee table. They are vital to really enjoying the room, having room service etc

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Imo, the rooms have been purposefully redesigned to discourage guests from spending too much time in their cabins. This includes making it harder or nearly impossible to enjoy room service.

These are my thoughts also. Keeping all that beige clean will be challenging. 

25 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We feel the same way about the sofa and coffee table. They are vital to really enjoying the room, having room service etc

The lack of sofa is the reason we never booked standard balcony cabins on Princess. Thankfully, their mini-suites are a  relatively small upcharge. 

I’m sorry to see =X= move in this direction. We recently upgraded from SS to CS on Millie because even the photos of the redesigned SS didn’t look to have a comfortable looking sofa and/or place to facilitate in-room dining. 

We just returned from a cruise on the Edge. You are right the large sofa is a thing of the past, but we were still able to have our coffee each morning sitting on the couch and bringing in the table from the balcony area. It was light with a top that could also act as a tray. 

My husband napped on the bed.

The storage in the room was more than ample and I am not a real light packer. I believe you should have options!:classic_love: We are traveling on the Millie this June for an alaskian voyage and are looking forward.  oh and for those people speaking about stains ---yes you are right ! There was a stain on our couch area and the ship is only 3 months old!

Debbie

Edited by debbrn

Thanks for the great pictures!  I am assuming, since there isn't a picture of one, that there is no free-standing bar on the Retreat Sundeck and it has roving servers instead? Are the drinks complimentary on the Retreat Sundeck (they take your Sea Pass card on the Edge for the Retreat Sundeck - not in the Retreat Lounge, though almost everyone has the premium package so not an issue)?  Do you think there were enough loungers up there?

Thanks!

Correct there is no free standing bar though plenty of staff regularly roving to ensure everyone has what they need. We never had to show our seapass cards except on embarkation day when we went up to explore. We had the premium package anyway so perhaps they remembered that like they did in Luminae.

There were plenty of loungers and sun beds etc as well as tables and towels. We were there most sea days and it was never ever crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tangogulf said:

Correct there is no free standing bar though plenty of staff regularly roving to ensure everyone has what they need. We never had to show our seapass cards except on embarkation day when we went up to explore. We had the premium package anyway so perhaps they remembered that like they did in Luminae.

There were plenty of loungers and sun beds etc as well as tables and towels. We were there most sea days and it was never ever crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds great! Thanks!!

On 3/17/2019 at 3:23 PM, C-Dragons said:

I agree as well.  My first thought was that the cabins were designed to keep guests “out of their cabins” and out where the revenue could be collected.  Having guests lounge in their cabins or on their balconies does not generate revenue for the company.  I thought I was alone thinking this, but comforting to read that others perceived /thought similar things as well.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

I agree as well.  My first thought was that the cabins were designed to keep guests “out of their cabins” and out where the revenue could be collected.  Having guests lounge in their cabins or on their balconies does not generate revenue for the company.  I thought I was alone thinking this, but comforting to read that others perceived /thought similar things as well.

I thought the same and reading that Marilyn was told that X wanted guests to spend less time in their cabins confirms their intention to generate more revenue.

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

I concur. They are deliberately making the cabin less usable to force you out. 

Will not work on me.

There is a very long 42 page thread on the Princess forum with the very same issue.  Princess has removed the only chair, besides the desk chair, in the balcony and below cabins.  Therefore, 2 people staying in a balcony cabin can't even both sit to enjoy coffee and continental breakfast w/o someone sitting on the bed.  So, looks like all of the executives have gotten together and come up with their solutions to forcing people to only sleep/shower in their cabins. The only way to get a comfortable place to sit is to upgrade to a mini suite or full suite and many can't afford to do so.  Sad.  

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

I find it a bit hard to imagine that a cruise line would design cabins poorly so that their guests would not want to use them.  Huh?

Since my name was mentioned above, I just wanted to clarify what I heard onboard  the Edge about one of X’s visions for the Edge was to get people to come together more to enjoy experiences together (or some such thing). I can’t remember if it was when I questioned the lack of decent suite balcony furniture and was told that the Retreat Sundeck has plenty of wonderful loungers (hence the subtle message to get out and enjoy being with others, instead of staying by myself on my own balcony - my thoughts, not what actually said🙂) or what the context was for the person talking about the Edge vision of getting people to gather together. I then started to think about the large multi-deck bars/lounges and the huge pool and lovely pool area and I suppose that could be more ways to get people to gather and interact, instead of having loungers/reclining chairs/footstools on the balconies and small lounges. I think in the Edge Grand Plaza video, one of the designers mentions that he envisions a space where people will come together, if I remember correctly.  I’m not sure about it being a way to increase revenue (though sounds plausible), just the “vision for guests to congregate” piece that was discussed with me.  😊

36 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Since my name was mentioned above, I just wanted to clarify what I heard onboard  the Edge about one of X’s visions for the Edge was to get people to come together more to enjoy experiences together (or some such thing). I can’t remember if it was when I questioned the lack of decent suite balcony furniture and was told that the Retreat Sundeck has plenty of wonderful loungers (hence the subtle message to get out and enjoy being with others, instead of staying by myself on my own balcony - my thoughts, not what actually said🙂) or what the context was for the person talking about the Edge vision of getting people to gather together.

Since I was the one who mentioned you 😊 I wanted to add that my comments and subsequent deduction was based primarily on personal experience. No one should be surprised that X would be trying to generate more revenue, that's what they’re supposed to do. 😉

The disappointing part of this are the outrageous prices they are charging for accommodations on the Edge, and spreading to the rest of the fleet, that seem sub par to those that their customers are accustomed to.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, texswamper said:

There is a very long 42 page thread on the Princess forum with the very same issue.  Princess has removed the only chair, besides the desk chair, in the balcony and below cabins.  Therefore, 2 people staying in a balcony cabin can't even both sit to enjoy coffee and continental breakfast w/o someone sitting on the bed.  So, looks like all of the executives have gotten together and come up with their solutions to forcing people to only sleep/shower in their cabins. The only way to get a comfortable place to sit is to upgrade to a mini suite or full suite and many can't afford to do so.  Sad.  

And, having been beside the Regal Princess on our recent cruises, their balaconies are half the depth of the Celebrity ones.

5 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

While we enjoy meeting people from all over the world, that's not why we love cruising. We go on a cruise to go on a cruise. If we get to know a few people, that's fine. If we don't then that's fine too.

Exactly.  A whole lot of a cruise is quiet relaxation.  

• Like 3

When I cruise, room service breakfast is my one true decadence - I don't have to get dressed and walk the dog.  Someone BRINGS me food while I'm in my bathrobe.  Well, I've solved the missing table problem!  😂  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KYBR1TF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1  They even have chairs (which look more comfortable than Edge chairs).  And the table will fit in my checked bag.  It'll be sort of like glamping with room service.  This and my inflatable beach ball for a footstool and I'm all set!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

When I cruise, room service breakfast is my one true decadence - I don't have to get dressed and walk the dog.  Someone BRINGS me food while I'm in my bathrobe.  Well, I've solved the missing table problem!  😂  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KYBR1TF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1  They even have chairs (which look more comfortable than Edge chairs).  And the table will fit in my checked bag.  It'll be sort of like glamping with room service.  This and my inflatable beach ball for a footstool and I'm all set!

I love it - I will be selling them at my portside store, along with inflatable foot stools.😉

7 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

While we enjoy meeting people from all over the world, that's not why we love cruising. We go on a cruise to go on a cruise. If we get to know a few people, that's fine. If we don't then that's fine too.

Exactly, not everyone goes on holiday to meet hordes of people. Some pax want the peace and quiet of their own cabin and balcony.

7 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

And, having been beside the Regal Princess on our recent cruises, their balaconies are half the depth of the Celebrity ones.

At least they have proper balconies, but I agree and that’s why their Royal class ships wouldn’t interest me. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Perhaps you ought to start a new thread disclosing all the additional equipment one needs to bring to sail on Edge 🤣 - it could even become a sticky!

• Haha 1