"party/wild scene" on ships - is it real?

arinie17

So we leave for our first cruise in 8 days with our two kids (8 and 11)!  Super excited!  However, I just had lunch with a co-worker who was telling me stories about crazy pool parties/contests where people are stuffing items in their swimsuit or that there is a nude deck.  She has cruised a handful of times and swears it was on a Royal Caribbean but I have never heard anything like this.  I booked Royal Caribbean as it was ranked as the best cruise ship for families but now I'm a little nervous! 

Anyone know if this is real?  Do these things happen?  Is there a nude deck?  I'm assuming if there are parties like this, it is posted in their itinerary/agenda and we just make sure to avoid that area but didn't think this was happening on this line??  TIA!

No nudity allowed.  After 25+ cruises we've never seen wild party like atmosphere.  There are sexiest man contests and the like, but the worst you'll see is some dirty dancing.  Just watch the compass and don't take your kids to anything you don't deem appropriate.  RCI is very family friendly.

• Like 1

I've searched and searched and there is no nude deck. 

Sometimes the entire ship is chartered for various groups and some of what you mentioned might happen, but you would have to book those via the charter group. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

We cruised with our children and now with our grandchildren on Royal Caribbean and have never been concerned.  In over 20 cruises on different cruise lines, I have never witnessed nudity or wild parties.  There are occasionally activities that are adult only.  

Sailings from the Mediterranean may have a nude sundeck, but any that go out of the States will not.  You may find more of a younger party crowd on 3 day sailings also.  Especially during Spring Break time.  Avoid the game show called The Quest as this is Adult Only and will get raunchy at times. But it is late night and is advertised as Adult only.  Other than that, there is nothing else to avoid.

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies!  I'm feeling much better, thank you!  Don't get me wrong, I know they'll see stuff and I can't keep them in a bubble nor do I want to, but not sure I want to have the birds and the bees talk on my vacation!  😄

Someone mentioned the "compass", I am assuming that is the agenda of activities correct?  Good to know they label those activities, we'll just be sure to avoid those.  Or put the kids in the kids club and go ourselves....  J/K.  

Can't wait for the vacation to start!

I think they may have been talking about Carnival. Back in the 90s we did our first 2 cruises on Carnival and I remember a pool game where you had to stuff pieces of fruit down your swimsuit. Nothing sordid, it was actually good fun, no worse than the belly flop on RCL. 

I remember seeing a topless deck on RCL years ago but think it may have been on European cruises, think it was called St Tropez.

RCL is very family friendly, you don't need to worry.

5 minutes ago, arinie17 said:

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies!  I'm feeling much better, thank you!  Don't get me wrong, I know they'll see stuff and I can't keep them in a bubble nor do I want to, but not sure I want to have the birds and the bees talk on my vacation!  😄

Someone mentioned the "compass", I am assuming that is the agenda of activities correct?  Good to know they label those activities, we'll just be sure to avoid those.  Or put the kids in the kids club and go ourselves....  J/K.  

Can't wait for the vacation to start!

Yes the Compass is a news letter that lists all the daily activities on the ship. There is also a kids version

You will find the Compass in your stateroom. The childrens Compass is at guest services  

11 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Carnival Cruise Line used to have the naughty deck. Maybe your friend was confused. They did away with it though 

Carnival also used to have “stuff the fruit in your bathing suit” thing.

Neither is on Royal Caribbean.  No worries whatsoever 

Dan

• Haha 1

The Cruise Compass will be in your cabin each night for the next day.

It has a list of all activities, and all sorts of other important information.  Especially time to be back on board after a port day. 😄

There are some comedy shows (late ones) that adult oriented.  This will be listed in the Cruise Compass and announced SEVERAL times before the show.  

There is one evening game called the The Quest, which is an adult game.  VERY funny.  Again, pointed out in the Cruise Compass and before it starts.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TimeToGetNauti said:

Sailings from the Mediterranean may have a nude sundeck, but any that go out of the States will not.  You may find more of a younger party crowd on 3 day sailings also.  Especially during Spring Break time.  Avoid the game show called The Quest as this is Adult Only and will get raunchy at times. But it is late night and is advertised as Adult only.  Other than that, there is nothing else to avoid.

Love & Marriage Show can get racy also.

Methinks your friend partied too much and doesn't even know what ships she was on!  I have sailed on Royal Caribbean for many years and never have I seen a nude deck or even a topless deck.  I know years ago Carnival had a topless deck, but that was done away with.

I have also not seen a lot of wild party people on Royal Caribbean.  I believe that is something that does happen on some weekend booze cruises, but it is more likely to happen on Carnival as they are known as the party ships.

I do have to say that Quest, which is an adult only show, shown later at night, may have some things are a bit risque,  but it is not some place where kids will be.  It is easy to stay away if easily offended.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kernow said:

I think they may have been talking about Carnival. Back in the 90s we did our first 2 cruises on Carnival and I remember a pool game where you had to stuff pieces of fruit down your swimsuit. Nothing sordid

On our very first Royal cruise, on the Nordic Empires in 2003, my wife and I were recruited by Dan, Dan, the Party Man to participate in the Fruit in the Suit pool game. 3 couples, a large basket of assorted fruits thrown in the pool, and a mad scramble to true said pieces as fruit and stuff then in the wife's suit. There is video evidence, despite my attempts to destroy it. My wife's opening comment as we drove into the pool :."touch that pineapple, and you're a dead man". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, audome78 said:

On our very first Royal cruise, on the Nordic Empires in 2003, my wife and I were recruited by Dan, Dan, the Party Man to participate in the Fruit in the Suit pool game. 3 couples, a large basket of assorted fruits thrown in the pool, and a mad scramble to true said pieces as fruit and stuff then in the wife's suit. There is video evidence, despite my attempts to destroy it. My wife's opening comment as we drove into the pool :."touch that pineapple, and you're a dead man". 

That sounds very similar to what I remember on Carnival, DH has just reminded me that a pineapple was worth 5 points:classic_laugh:

25 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Don't take your kids to Quest.  Totally geared towards adults.

Some ships have a “Family Quest” that is earlier in the day.   I believe it is a tamer version of the late night show.