The South American and Antarctic experience on the Zaandam

scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Great !

I think I posted too soon, cannot come up with their web site, just the Trip Advisor posts which do not seem to include your tour.  Anyway, looking forward to our cruise and love your review.  I am only on page 8 but have more than enough time.  I love watching the container ships.  Sat on our balcony in one port and watched them for 2 hours.  Thanks for all the great pictures and descriptions.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

20 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think I posted too soon, cannot come up with their web site, just the Trip Advisor posts which do not seem to include your tour.  Anyway, looking forward to our cruise and love your review.  I am only on page 8 but have more than enough time.  I love watching the container ships.  Sat on our balcony in one port and watched them for 2 hours.  Thanks for all the great pictures and descriptions.

Maybe this link will work :

http://www.patagoniaadvent.com.ar/recorridos_i.php

On 3/22/2019 at 11:33 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Really enjoying your review.  We are doing Buenos Aires to Antarctica on Silhouette in 2021.  What tour company did you use in Ushuaia for the harbor tour?

We almost did the cruise on the Eclipse but we didn't want to miss Chile .

On our first day in BA we left the ship on the bus . At the terminal we met our guide  Elizabet from Tours by Locals and our driver .

DSC08077_zpse6agzg15.jpg

There was a lot of traffic but we didn't go far . There was a photo op with perhaps Argentina's most famous soccer star Lionel Messi .

IMG_8114_zpsciclxero.jpg

Not far away was a HUGE  Ficus tree that needed a little support with it's branches

DSC07911_zpscat9yrcg.jpg

IMG_8115_zpsr64ammkv.jpg

We were headed to this church the Basilica Nuestra Senora del Pilar

IMG_8119_zpstyfgbio7.jpg

A screen shot from Google Maps

Screenshot%202019-03-24%2011.16.19_zpsn7

IMG_8121_zpsslohznrm.jpg

IMG_8124_zps927jcad8.jpg

IMG_8122_zpsjtod4ab3.jpg

Our next stop was next to the church at  the famous La Recoleta Cemetery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Recoleta_Cemetery

IMG_8224_zpsyr6g3ido.jpg

IMG_8132_zpst1urczfc.jpg

The Dorrego - Ortiz Basualdo Family

IMG_8135_zpsgckihmji.jpg

IMG_8223_zps60oymglh.jpg

Admiral Guillermo Brown was considered to be the father of the Argentine Navy . He was born in Ireland and his tomb is painted green remembering his Irish roots .

IMG_8218_zps9cbnxiqr.jpg

IMG_8183_zpspus5f9mz.jpg

Another amazing structure

IMG_8182_zpsujfsmiiw.jpg

We are planning to depart the ship on the day it arrives in BA, as we are flying to Iguazu Falls on the next morning.  We prefer to spend the BA arrival night in a hotel, which will keep part of our luggage for us until we return to BA.  Did you see any of your ship's passengers do this?  Also, since we will walk off with our luggage, I assume the port bus will also take our luggage to the exit.  Can you confirm this thought for me?  Any information on this topic is welcome from anyone who has experience with this at BA.

1 hour ago, teacherman said:

We are planning to depart the ship on the day it arrives in BA, as we are flying to Iguazu Falls on the next morning.  We prefer to spend the BA arrival night in a hotel, which will keep part of our luggage for us until we return to BA.  Did you see any of your ship's passengers do this?  Also, since we will walk off with our luggage, I assume the port bus will also take our luggage to the exit.  Can you confirm this thought for me?  Any information on this topic is welcome from anyone who has experience with this at BA.

We didn't see anyone do this on this trip . On our previous trip we did request from the Captain to disembark a day early and carry our luggage on the bus . We were not the only ones that did it .

6 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

More interesting graves

IMG_8215_zpslba9mmc1.jpg

IMG_8213_zpszyu5vxvu.jpg

IMG_8209_zpssftil3wo.jpg

IMG_8199_zpsh5i8jtzc.jpg

Pat and Elisabet were looking inside and this is what they saw

IMG_8201_zps38ilk84o.jpg

IMG_8202_zpsuej2gagc.jpg

Wow this last one is stunning.  Even down to the texture and creases in the mattress and pillows.

10 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Wow this last one is stunning.  Even down to the texture and creases in the mattress and pillows.

They had some nice art work  there . Our guide told us that it was the most expensive property in BA . $ 1,000,000 per plot !

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Looks like an amazing place.  Going on the list to visit.  Is it safe to wander alone or as a couple there?

It is amazing and it would probably be safe in the day but you may encounter people offering to be you guide there . Our guide warned us not to walk around BA at night . We opted for a guide to try to cover more ground and translate for us .

Some more tombs

This man's wife quit talking to him and she made sure that their statues were facing in opposite directions after burying her husband

IMG_8156_zps0jmbfv0q.jpg

IMG_8157_zpsllkvsnp8.jpg

IMG_8159_zpsclhcnaji.jpg

Boxer Luis Angel Firpo

IMG_8171_zpsrkugq6yn.jpg

This lady was  pronounced dead then accidentally buried alive

IMG_8205_zpsa2chm04i.jpg

IMG_8222_zpsmyfreeyi.jpg

21 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

It is amazing and it would probably be safe in the day but you may encounter people offering to be you guide there . Our guide warned us not to walk around BA at night . We opted for a guide to try to cover more ground and translate for us .

Did you find your guide at the entrance to the cemetery or arrange for one ahead of time for the day?