Cruise Critic Community
Worldtraveler 4727

Edinburgh Tour Help/Advice

17 hours ago, Jezabel2924 said:

We have booked with Discreet Scotland for our trip this August on the Pacific Princess.  My Niece used them two years ago and raved about their private tour  They are very flexible with the tours.

https://www.discreetscotland.com/scotland-tours/

Thank you for sending on this option. Much appreciated.

13 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Edinburgh is easy to DIY, not saying a tour isn’t good, just letting you know in case you’re interested. You can easily take the X99 bus direct from the tender port to/from Edinburgh for about 6 pounds each. We had originally planned on taking a taxi, but we waited a long time, and none came to the port. The X99 drops you off at the square by Harvey Nichols. From there, you can grab a taxi or Uber to the Royal Mile where you can tour Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, and all the other main sites. It’s best to be dropped off at the top of the hill where Edinburgh Castle is and make your way downhill to Holyrood. Along the walk are tons of cashmere shops, cafes, and Harry Potter places of significance. At the end, we took an Uber back to the square to catch the return bus. Hope that helps!

Thank you for mentioning this option.

Just a further note, Edinburgh is extremely crowded during the Tattoo and they usually have the Fringe Festival during the same time. We attended the Tattoo last year and opted to spend the night in Edinburgh after the Tattoo and thus were able to enjoy another day (walking) before heading back to the ship. We opted for a private tour the day of the Tattoo and we found it helpful as they know the "ins and outs" of traffic patterns during this hectic time.

9 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Just a further note, Edinburgh is extremely crowded during the Tattoo and they usually have the Fringe Festival during the same time. We attended the Tattoo last year and opted to spend the night in Edinburgh after the Tattoo and thus were able to enjoy another day (walking) before heading back to the ship. We opted for a private tour the day of the Tattoo and we found it helpful as they know the "ins and outs" of traffic patterns during this hectic time.

Our ship leaves Greenock port at 2am, so staying in the city that night is not an option, but we will dock in Edinburgh a few days later. Realizing the value of a private tour is why we are pursuing that option and asking for recommendations.

It seems that you are on a similar itinerary to what we did last year.  I loved our tour from Greenock with Clyde Coast Tours to Edinburgh for the Tattoo and greatly enjoyed the show, I did not enjoy our Edinburgh day.  That is one of the two days on our cruise that I would have done something differently.  Several reasons:  mostly too crowded (I hate crowds), rainy, was not satisfied with my "shopping".  On hindsight, I would have scheduled a tour (as you are doing), probably outside of Edinburgh.  This is what I posted in my notes (not published) about our day in Edinburgh:

Had breakfast in the Horizon Court.  The weather was again raining slightly; we used umbrellas in Edinburgh for a short time before lunch.

We took the tender to shore and caught the shuttle bus to the center of town about 10 am.  It was 20 pounds each which included trip in and return from town and the Hop On/Hop Off bus.   The shuttle delivered us to St. Andrews Square, and the driver showed us where to walk to catch the Hop On/Hop Off bus.

We got off at the Castle stop.  I had prepurchased tickets with the Historic Scotland Pass, so we went right into the Castle.  We used the restroom and had lunch (pizza) at the café.

We stood in line for the Crown Jewels, just a crown, scepter, and sword, not as much as England’s.  The road up into the castle was very steep and wet with the rain.  It was wet and windy with steep cobble stone paths in the castle.  We walked through the area where the Tattoo had performed before.

We shopped a little, asking in several stores, but could not find any St. Andrews golf stuff.

We went in St. Giles Cathedral where we had met our guide the other night.  It was lovely.

We caught the Hop On/Hop Off bus back to St. Andrews Square where we caught the shuttle to the 4 pm tender back to the ship.

Be sure to dress for the weather:  rain, wind and chilly

29 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

It seems that you are on a similar itinerary to what we did last year.  I loved our tour from Greenock with Clyde Coast Tours to Edinburgh for the Tattoo and greatly enjoyed the show, I did not enjoy our Edinburgh day.  That is one of the two days on our cruise that I would have done something differently.  Several reasons:  mostly too crowded (I hate crowds), rainy, was not satisfied with my "shopping".  On hindsight, I would have scheduled a tour (as you are doing), probably outside of Edinburgh.  This is what I posted in my notes (not published) about our day in Edinburgh:

Had breakfast in the Horizon Court.  The weather was again raining slightly; we used umbrellas in Edinburgh for a short time before lunch.

We took the tender to shore and caught the shuttle bus to the center of town about 10 am.  It was 20 pounds each which included trip in and return from town and the Hop On/Hop Off bus.   The shuttle delivered us to St. Andrews Square, and the driver showed us where to walk to catch the Hop On/Hop Off bus.

We got off at the Castle stop.  I had prepurchased tickets with the Historic Scotland Pass, so we went right into the Castle.  We used the restroom and had lunch (pizza) at the café.

We stood in line for the Crown Jewels, just a crown, scepter, and sword, not as much as England’s.  The road up into the castle was very steep and wet with the rain.  It was wet and windy with steep cobble stone paths in the castle.  We walked through the area where the Tattoo had performed before.

We shopped a little, asking in several stores, but could not find any St. Andrews golf stuff.

We went in St. Giles Cathedral where we had met our guide the other night.  It was lovely.

We caught the Hop On/Hop Off bus back to St. Andrews Square where we caught the shuttle to the 4 pm tender back to the ship.

Be sure to dress for the weather:  rain, wind and chilly

So glad to hear you enjoyed the Tattoo. It is pricey. I am hoping for decent weather that day. Good weather makes such a difference when touring. And thanks for the confirmation regarding finding a small tour for Edinburgh. I am conversing back and forth with a tour guide, and so far we are considering a two hour walking tour of Edinburgh and then driving outside the city to some of the picturesque fishing villages and then up to St Andrews for a bit of a photo op (husband is a big golfer).