Vietnam Visa

tsutt35

51 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

this is another example of Princess not knowing what is going on and having false information. Over the last year I have been on the Sun princess three times to Vietnam. July 2018 a USD Currency Cruise, October 2018 a USD Currency Cruise, and  March 2019 a AUD Currency Cruise, in all three cases the cruise personaliser told me USD $56.00 dollars but that amount was never charged in July and October it was USD$33 dollars total for a Princess Visa, in March 2019 on a Australia currency cruise it was AUD $56 dollars. 

The corporate office and the US sales office sometimes does not have a clue they just read the wrong information they have. but in any case the evisa is a better deal. 

That helps to explain why so many prices for Princess' Vietnam visa fee are bandied about on Cruise Critic - it's not cruisers with imperfect memories as I'd thought, but Princess being clueless about what they're charging.

So for those going on Princess and relying on visas issued by the ship rather than e-visas (or for some nationalities visa-free) the cost is a lottery.

JB  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hoping someone with Australian passport could assist, we are cruising SE Asia over Christmas including 2 ports Vietnam and 1 port Cambodia. I believe these are the only ports where visas are required. If you have visited these countries recently on a cruise and you did visas on-board, how many photos did you need to have with you and did you use the same photos for both countries? Thanks

1 hour ago, jmae66 said:

Hoping someone with Australian passport could assist, we are cruising SE Asia over Christmas including 2 ports Vietnam and 1 port Cambodia. I believe these are the only ports where visas are required. If you have visited these countries recently on a cruise and you did visas on-board, how many photos did you need to have with you and did you use the same photos for both countries? Thanks

I do not have a Australian Passport but have done these counties with Aussie friends and got their visa for them so I believe my information is still current (6 months old). For Cambodia you will need one passport size picture each. If you land at the airport your visa is done on arrival, or you can have Princess do it for you on the ship (at the port) you can also apply online for USD $30.00. For Vietnam can apply online see my post above and the fee is USD $25.00 or you can have Princess do for you once on the ship. Princess has been charging for US Currency Cruises USD $33.00 and on Australian Currency Cruises  AUD$ 56.00 dollars. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Frustrated at this Princess cost and poorly worded explanation, as appears even if we don't get off the boat (as we planned) we will be charged this anyway - we are there for 1 day - 1 stop - 9 hours. Embassy don't give prices on website, we just came back from visa office (foolishly thought going direct they might be cheaper) and their cost is $80 aud, so will end up paying $56usd as per our cruise personaliser, a family so this is costly, would have been nice to have been told prior to booking cruise, feel a bit ripped off now to be honest. We save hard for a cruise, they want an extra $1000 in gratuities as well, first time on princess, my fault - had a choice, probably be the last though. Seem more interested in getting hands deeper in my pocket at any opportunity than focusing on providing the holiday for my family I have paid a lot of money for.

What is difference between transit at an international airport and staying on board a boat? Why do you need a visa for, maybe Princess can include explanation in their paperwork?

First sorry you are having these issues. The cost for a e-visa on line from Vietnam is USD$25 dollars plus about 90 cents for a service fee. Less than half the cost through Princess.  Cruise ships are not like airplanes and airports. With a ship if you enter the waters of a country you must have the correct visas, even if you never get off the ship or the ship never comes into port. 

Airports are different because you are flown into a controlled space and only allowed to transit in a small limited space. You cannot jump off a plane and enter the country, you can do this off a ship.  Even without getting off the ship you are under the control of that country. If you have a warrant in that country they can take you off the ship.  Not the same as airplane travel. 

I would suggest you go the e visa route and save money.  The problem is if you type e-visa into a search window you will get 100's of fro profit agents... You do not want to use them. Only one site is the Government site here is the link  

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

If you find a site and the link does not say ( .gov.vn )  it is not a government site it is a agent. It will take about 3 days online. to process and return

On 11/23/2019 at 4:23 AM, jmae66 said:

I visited Cambodia after our cruise two months ago.  We flew in and they did everything right off the passport.  Maybe it's different on a ship.  I think it was $30 and the process was fairly quick.  The other wait was buying tickets for Angkor Wat (all areas), but that was pretty quick as well.  Our tour guide brought us in and directed us in that line.  I think we had to show our visa/passport and they take another photo of you for your park pass.  

I googled Cambodia visa for a cruise and it came up that NCL charges $89 per person, which is a bit outrageous.  Costa charges $67.  These are USD.  Also, Cambodia uses the US dollar and ATMs will dispense US currency.  I realize that the cruise lines have to do work to get their passengers visas, but anything beyond their actual cost should be in the cost of the cruise and not related to nickle and diming passengers.   Our Vietnam Visa on Azamara would have been either $6 or $8.  We paid a total of $28 because we spent a night on a premium junk cruise in Ha Long Bay.  We knew of the charge ahead of time.

Screenshot_20200103-150330_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2f1575691ea5c6cfcd74893ecdc12a90.jpg

I'm having Princess do it for simplicity.  Even if I did it on my own the consulate said they would charge the ship $2. I just don't want to mail my passport & pics to them. I did ask what if I had it expedited and the price went up ($37). And still another $2. So not hopping on Bart & bus to spend 4 hours waiting for it to be done.

FWIW I need multi entry bc there's 2 ports not one

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Screenshot_20200103-150330_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2f1575691ea5c6cfcd74893ecdc12a90.jpg

I'm having Princess do it for simplicity.  Even if I did it on my own the consulate said they would charge the ship $2. I just don't want to mail my passport & pics to them. I did ask what if I had it expedited and the price went up ($37). And still another $2. So not hopping on Bart & bus to spend 4 hours waiting for it to be done.

FWIW I need multi entry bc there's 2 ports not one

No reason to get on a bus or send passport, as I already posted, it can all be done online using the correct link I posted above. You will have your visa in 3 days, no buses, no mailing passports, no expedited fee. Also as long as the ship does not visit a port outside of Vietnam it is not a multi entry but a single entry visa.  You can visit multi ports in Vietnam and still considered a single entry, as the ship never leaves the country between ports.

If I were to go on Princess, I'd suck up the cost and consider it part of the cruise fare.  Princess is a pretty low cost provider in Asia, so I really don't feel as I got any bargain from Azamara with the low cost of visas.  That's not to say that I don't think Princess is sneaky, but, all considered, they are selling bargain cruises in Asia.

2 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

No reason to get on a bus or send passport, as I already posted, it can all be done online using the correct link I posted above. You will have your visa in 3 days, no buses, no mailing passports, no expedited fee. Also as long as the ship does not visit a port outside of Vietnam it is not a multi entry but a single entry visa.  You can visit multi ports in Vietnam and still considered a single entry, as the ship never leaves the country between ports.

I trust you know what you are saying but when I asked the SF Vietnam consulate in an email they responded for me to mail my passport & pic to them or bring it in in person. I'm having the ship do it because there is a discrepancy. I'm paying thousands for the cruise, I'm not worried about being $22 overcharged

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I trust you know what you are saying but when I asked the SF Vietnam consulate in an email they responded for me to mail my passport & pic to them or bring it in in person. I'm having the ship do it because there is a discrepancy. I'm paying thousands for the cruise, I'm not worried about being $22 overcharged

You do understand what consulate is? It is a for profit office set up as a division of the Embassy. Done by a person in the host country with the approval of the countries Embassy, in this case Vietnam.  Vietnam does not fund or staff the Consulates, unlike the Embassy,  Consulates are funded by the fees they charge for services. 

While you are free to do whatever you want you are not risking your cruise by using the online e-visa, in the worst case if you did the visa wrong the ship would issue the correct visa. Our last Australia to SE Asia March 2019 we had a group of 50 plus guests on the cruise. No one including those from Australia had a problem using a e visa.... but it is your money and your choice.  I am not posting this to change your mind about this but for other so they do not waste money.

Hi all. We are currently on Diamond and cruised into Chang May a couple of days ago and depart from Phu My today. I did the evisa at home at US$25. I handed it to the service desk when we boarded. They faxed it to port and was all accepted no problems. We weren’t even charged a processing fee. We are Aussies and had no issues at all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tsutt35 said:

Hi all. We are currently on Diamond and cruised into Chang May a couple of days ago and depart from Phu My today. I did the evisa at home at US$25. I handed it to the service desk when we boarded. They faxed it to port and was all accepted no problems. We weren’t even charged a processing fee. We are Aussies and had no issues at all.

The same as has happen with my friends and myself. Aussie, USA, Canada, etc. all no issues.  But they do not fax tot he port, one of the great things Princess does is brings the immigration  people on the ship and they process everything before you dock,  It allows guests to just walk off the ship with no delays giving you the maximum amount of time in port.

20 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

The same as has happen with my friends and myself. Aussie, USA, Canada, etc. all no issues.  But they do not fax tot he port, one of the great things Princess does is brings the immigration  people on the ship and they process everything before you dock,  It allows guests to just walk off the ship with no delays giving you the maximum amount of time in port.

it is great they bring immigration on. However, we were doing back to back cruises and handed visa in on first leg. I hadn’t heard anything re the visas being accepted so had gone and asked again. The following day the officer in charge of the immigration and visa department contacted me and said that she had faxed them through and was waiting on approval. She got in touch a couple of days later advising they’d been accepted.

Process isn’t important but people having the option on doing own or paying Princess is. 

It appears Phu My is not on the e-visa seaport list, as this is the only stop, guess we don't really have a choice but to use princess. So I will 'suck it up' as so eloquently put from a previous 'poor taste' post.

Appreciate responses and advice.

1 hour ago, rose4747 said:

It appears Phu My is not on the e-visa seaport list, as this is the only stop, guess we don't really have a choice but to use princess. So I will 'suck it up' as so eloquently put from a previous 'poor taste' post.

Appreciate responses and advice.

Yes it is listed. Phu My is part of the Ho Chi Minh City Seaport, If you only visiting this port you list is as the entry and exit port.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those who confirm the use of e-visas at Vietnamese ports.  There is very little other information and it is great to read first-hand reports of actual experiences.

Rose, Phu My is part of Vung Tau Seaport which is on the list of Seaports where e-visas can be used.  The smaller ships can use the HCMC Seaport.

I am interested in  using the e-visa at Hon Gai Seaport which could be my first port of call in Vietnam.  It seems there are several places passengers could disembark:  a new Hon Gai International Cruise port (with its International Passenger Terminal),  Cai Lan terminal, Bai Chay wharf (by tender),  Vinashin dock, and possibly Tuan Chan International Port. Are all or only some of these   part of Hoi Gai Seaport?   Or, to put it another way, can I use the e-visa at all or only some of these points - or, indeed, is it done on the ship before disembarking ? 

Expat Cruiser, it is clear that one must enter AND exit Vietnam within the date range applied for and stated on the e-visa,  not as you advised.

1 hour ago, Aradom said:

Expat Cruiser, it is clear that one must enter AND exit Vietnam within the date range applied for and stated on the e-visa,  not as you advised.

I said the Visa need to be within the date range and started within that range.  So if you have a Visa that starts January 2nd, it can be used until January 31st. If you enter the country on the 31st of January on this visa you do  not have to leave until 30 days later.  The visa is valid for 30 days after the first entry, as long as started within the date range on the visa.  So exactly as I advised and done with over 30 e-visa so do not assume, FYI  Phu My is consider part of HCMC seaport, have used it as the entry point at lease 5 times in the last two years. 

7 hours ago, Aradom said:

Thanks to those who confirm the use of e-visas at Vietnamese ports.  There is very little other information and it is great to read first-hand reports of actual experiences.

Rose, Phu My is part of Vung Tau Seaport which is on the list of Seaports where e-visas can be used.  The smaller ships can use the HCMC Seaport.

I am interested in  using the e-visa at Hon Gai Seaport which could be my first port of call in Vietnam.  It seems there are several places passengers could disembark:  a new Hon Gai International Cruise port (with its International Passenger Terminal),  Cai Lan terminal, Bai Chay wharf (by tender),  Vinashin dock, and possibly Tuan Chan International Port. Are all or only some of these   part of Hoi Gai Seaport?   Or, to put it another way, can I use the e-visa at all or only some of these points - or, indeed, is it done on the ship before disembarking ? 

I don't believe ships tender anymore at Ha Long Bay and you should expect to go through the new international cruise terminal.  

Finally I can rest easy thanks to Expat Cruise and hubofhockey.  Thanks also to others who have shared their visa experiences.  The vietnam visa has been an incredibly difficult visa to get facts about as far as which ports accept e-visas.

The Vung Tau Commercial Port's own website confirms that Phu My is part of Vung Tau which is #33 on Vietnam's list of ports where e-visas are accepted:

http://www.vpa.org.vn/vungtau-commercial-port/

It is one of the South Area ports listed on the right of the page.

Just when I thought it was safe.  The following is the new Princess advice for visa requirements:

VIETNAM VISA/PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

A Vietnam visa is required for most guests on this voyage, including Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and U.S. passport holders. You may either obtain the visa on your own before your cruise, or a visa will be issued upon arrival in Vietnam. If you choose to have the visa issued on board, a visa fee of USD $56.00 per person (USD $76.00 per person for those participating on an overland package) will be charged to your stateroom account. If you obtain the visa on your own it cannot be an electronic visa (eVisa).

That last sentence has only been recently added as I previously made a copy of Princess' visa requirements and no reference was made to eVisas.  Frustrating that Princess appear to be stating something that does not appear to be true.

2 minutes ago, CissyFuss said:

Just when I thought it was safe.  The following is the new Princess advice for visa requirements:

VIETNAM VISA/PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

A Vietnam visa is required for most guests on this voyage, including Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and U.S. passport holders..... If you obtain the visa on your own it cannot be an electronic visa (eVisa).

That last sentence has only been recently added as I previously made a copy of Princess' visa requirements and no reference was made to eVisas.  Frustrating that Princess appear to be stating something that does not appear to be true.

The simple truth is Princess can say anything they want but the rules of the Vietnamese Government is what is in control here. If you have a electronic visa and Vietnam says it is approved, which they do say, it is then valid.  Do not know why Princess adds this maybe for profit. Do not know why Princess charges more if you want to overnight off the ship , because again the same visa.

The only reason I can see for saying this is a) stupid people in Corporate they do not know and understand Visa rules, or b) a effort to get more people to go through Princess, with a $45 dollar plus profit per guest. 

Cool cruiser, you are so right and i am so over princess Cruises and i have not even stepped foot on their boat yet. Like the above I have now just seen this line 'If you obtain the visa on your own it cannot be an electronic visa (eVisa)' added to my cruise personalizer as well. I took your advice and we all have e-visa's and have no intention of paying out anymore.  

As above (like 'gratuities' in part) which we just had another email suggesting we 'prepay them' am not that naive to know the methods cruise lines go to make money. On that note, put these costs with gratuities and other charges etc. in the price like they do when operating out of Australia and stop the 'grafting', look after and pay your staff properly and be up front with costs - though that is our culture - we despise 'tipping' to make up for paying people cheap wages from low cost countries on dubious contracts, especially when forced to do it as some cruise lines do. Somehow after paying for the cruise it is my responsibility to now subsidize staff wages as the cruise line does not pay them very well and works them 7 days a week for months on end!!!  Do cruise lines pay any tax on 'gratuities'? -  what a great way to pay for your crew while paying less on the books and making/guilting you (the customer) to feel it is all about customer service - that you have already paid for (- or now they want you to now pay more for in advance!) They charge these daily gratuities and then an extra 20% for overpriced drinks as you cant bring your own onboard. Brilliant business strategy - like these visa charges (Gee, lets say 2000 passengers by $50 = $100,000 USD - money for nothing), nothing at all to do with customer service! Carnival made $3.15b nett last year, yet you have issue with us Aussies not tipping. They call it savvy marketing and good business practice, we call it a 'scam'. You only encourage it further by participating in it. My opinion, but I maybe wrong??? 

I have just looked at my personaliser for my upcoming Princess cruise and whilst the paperwork sent from the travel agent does not say anything if you obtain a visa on your own it cannot be an electronic visa (evisa), this wording has now appeared in my personaliser also.   Since I obtained my e-visa last week, I have no intention of paying and obtaining another through Princess.   Will be interesting to see what happens when I challenge this on board.