Port Kelang to Batu Caves

karoo

We are in Port Kelang for two days arriving at 11am and leaving the next day at 6pm.  We're thinking of hiring a cab (for 2) to take us to the Batu Caves from Port Kelang, then see some of the city highlights and return us to the port for approximately 8 hours. Does anyone know the approximate cost?  

Or alternatively a separate trip to see just the Batu Caves? What would be the approximate cost?  How long does it take to get there and how long would be needed to see them, climb the stairs etc? I've heard the taxi prices are set and I'm just wondering what the current set prices are? 

Thank You

Edited by karoo
grammar

We are in Port Klang on NCL Jewel in late March and have booked a cab for two  for 8 hours for 450 Malaysian Ringbatts.

We are probably on the same cruise as you and will be doing this tour on the first day as we have read that there can be traffic problems going to Kuala Lumpur and back. 

Alan

Can't help with prices etc but we did a ship tour through Princess and saw Batu Caves, Royal Selangor, museum and lunch. It was a pretty full on day with not a lot of down time or opportunity to explore on your own. I blogged about the day if you are interested.

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/morning-log-bog-and-backlog-within-a-blog/

3 hours ago, tsutt35 said:

Can't help with prices etc but we did a ship tour through Princess and saw Batu Caves, Royal Selangor, museum and lunch. It was a pretty full on day with not a lot of down time or opportunity to explore on your own. I blogged about the day if you are interested.

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/morning-log-bog-and-backlog-within-a-blog/

Thank You for your info and loved reading your blog.

Unfortunately our ship isn't offering any tours that include the Batu Caves  so we will have to do it privately. At this stage we're now considering just doing Batu Caves Day 1, then Day 2 just doing Kuala Lumpur city highlights etc. You can hire taxis from the port - we're just not sure how cost effective this would be or how long we would need. Day 1 we don't want to have a long day as we don't port until 11am. So by the time the ship is cleared etc, we get off the ship, organise a cab, we 're probably looking at 12pm. A 5-6 hour tour would be perfect for this day, then we'd be happy to schedule an 8 hour city tour for the next day. 

Edited by karoo

35 minutes ago, karoo said:

Thank You for your info and loved reading your blog.

Unfortunately our ship isn't offering any tours that include the Batu Caves  so we will have to do it privately. At this stage we're now considering just doing Batu Caves Day 1, then Day 2 just doing Kuala Lumpur city highlights etc. You can hire taxis from the port - we're just not sure how cost effective this would be or how long we would need. Day 1 we don't want to have a long day as we don't port until 11am. So by the time the ship is cleared etc, we get off the ship, organise a cab, we 're probably looking at 12pm. A 5-6 hour tour would be perfect for this day, then we'd be happy to schedule an 8 hour city tour for the next day. 

I did look at private drivers when we had been planning the stop and there were ones online you could book. I can’t for the life of me remember the company but found it through CC. Off hand I think we spent about 1.5 hours at the Batu Caves. Although we’d been to KL For a few days about 10 years ago, I wish we’d gone into the city on our own rather than doing the ship tour. 

16 hours ago, tsutt35 said:

I did look at private drivers when we had been planning the stop and there were ones online you could book. I can’t for the life of me remember the company but found it through CC. Off hand I think we spent about 1.5 hours at the Batu Caves. Although we’d been to KL For a few days about 10 years ago, I wish we’d gone into the city on our own rather than doing the ship tour. 

Was 1.5 hours long enough to spend at the caves? I'm just wondering how much time we should to allow to visit them. 

10 minutes ago, karoo said:

Was 1.5 hours long enough to spend at the caves? I'm just wondering how much time we should to allow to visit them. 

From what I remember and depending on your fitness I’d give it 1.5 to 2 hours.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:36 AM, alan9945 said:

We are in Port Klang on NCL Jewel in late March and have booked a cab for two  for 8 hours for 450 Malaysian Ringbatts.

We are probably on the same cruise as you and will be doing this tour on the first day as we have read that there can be traffic problems going to Kuala Lumpur and back. 

Alan

Hi Alan, we are taking March 29th 7-day cruise, I think you are on the same cruise as us. We're planning to do private car tour for the 2 of us on the 2nd day in Port Klang. Are you doing your 8 hours tour on 2nd day? what's your plan for 1st day as we arrive Port Klang at 11am?

Fanny  from Canada

Edited by fannym123

10 hours ago, fannym123 said:

Hi Alan, we are taking March 29th 7-day cruise, I think you are on the same cruise as us. We're planning to do private car tour for the 2 of us on the 2nd day in Port Klang. Are you doing your 8 hours tour on 2nd day? what's your plan for 1st day as we arrive Port Klang at 11am?

Fanny  from Canada

On 1/21/2019 at 4:51 AM, alan9945 said:

Hi Fanny

We are doing the long trip on day one due to the potential traffic problems. On day two we are booking a ships tour to Putrajaya and relaxing the rest of the day.

Alan

Hi Alan 

Thanks for letting me know. You're right, we never knew the traffic between Port Klang and KL city. But then your day one will be a longer trip. How about other ports? 

Fanny

On 1/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, alan9945 said:

Hi Fanny

We are doing the long trip on day one due to the potential traffic problems. On day two we are booking a ships tour to Putrajaya and relaxing the rest of the day.

Alan

What tour did you decide to do Day 1? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 1:38 AM, fannym123 said:

Alan, we will have Putrajaya tour on day 1, KL tour on day 2. Hopefully traffic will be ok. 

Yes-we've decided to do Putrajaya through the ship Day 1 and Batu Caves and City Experience through Cruising Excursions. That's as far as we've really got. I have tentative plans for the other ports, but at this stage haven't locked anything in. 

20 hours ago, karoo said:

Yes-we've decided to do Putrajaya through the ship Day 1 and Batu Caves and City Experience through Cruising Excursions. That's as far as we've really got. I have tentative plans for the other ports, but at this stage haven't locked anything in. 

Good to hear. We are still researching on other ports, for sure Pengang will be DIY tour as it seems easy. Do share other ports when you decide. Thanks Alan.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:30 AM, fannym123 said:

Good to hear. We are still researching on other ports, for sure Pengang will be DIY tour as it seems easy. Do share other ports when you decide. Thanks Alan.

Langkawi there are taxis when you arrive that are cheap and will take you on island tours. Generally they're 4 hours, but you can negotiate longer. The first taxis you see are the most expensive so the advice is to keep walking. 

Penang we're looking at DIY as everything is just there when you get off. Also HOHO bus is available.

Phuket-no idea. 

1 hour ago, karoo said:

Langkawi there are taxis when you arrive that are cheap and will take you on island tours. Generally they're 4 hours, but you can negotiate longer. The first taxis you see are the most expensive so the advice is to keep walking. 

Penang we're looking at DIY as everything is just there when you get off. Also HOHO bus is available.

Phuket-no idea. 

Thanks for the taxi advice on Langkawi. Wonder if there are many taxis available. Did you get these tips from Trip advisor? You're right about not to take the 1st taxi, we experienced that in one of the Thai ports. Negotiated the price with the taxi who approached us, thought paying 3/4 of the quoted price was good but we ended up paying 25%more. Another cruiser paid 1/2 of the quoted price. Do you know if it is tender at Phuket? Thanks for sharing the info.

• 4 weeks later...

FannyM123....

We were in Langkawi  2 weeks ago....Oceania Nautica.   I prebooked a tour for 6 using MAM holidays. They met us at the fence of the pier near the arrivals bld. About a 5- 10 min walk from getting off ship. We went to Kilim eco park which was amazing. A longish drive but so amazing.  We combined this half day excursion with another half day excursion to the cable car.  Very long day but great. Cost was $54 per couple including  no queue  line at cable car which is a must.   Only negative was car should have been a bit bigger for 6 plus driver. At fence loads of drivers looking to provide rides. 

17 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

FannyM123....

We were in Langkawi  2 weeks ago....Oceania Nautica.   I prebooked a tour for 6 using MAM holidays. They met us at the fence of the pier near the arrivals bld. About a 5- 10 min walk from getting off ship. We went to Kilim eco park which was amazing. A longish drive but so amazing.  We combined this half day excursion with another half day excursion to the cable car.  Very long day but great. Cost was $54 per couple including  no queue  line at cable car which is a must.   Only negative was car should have been a bit bigger for 6 plus driver. At fence loads of drivers looking to provide rides. 

Thank you Mrs f. for your info. Very reasonable price for your tour. We were told the cable car in Langkawi won't be running in April 2019 for maintenance. What is this Kilim eco park? I don't seem to fine this half day excursion in MAM holidays. So you found the other 4 people to join your tour via cruise critic? 

Sorry...should have read 154.  I think MAM called it a half day Mangrove tour. Contact MAM tours and ask.  It was cheaper for 6 people. No problem finding 4 more on our roll call. Go to cruise critic roll call for your cruise. You will find people who will be on your cruise. Some of them may have found an excursion and are looking for people to share. Make sure your vehicle is big enough.  Our car for 6 plus guide was too tight. 

10 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Sorry...should have read 154.  I think MAM called it a half day Mangrove tour. Contact MAM tours and ask.  It was cheaper for 6 people. No problem finding 4 more on our roll call. Go to cruise critic roll call for your cruise. You will find people who will be on your cruise. Some of them may have found an excursion and are looking for people to share. Make sure your vehicle is big enough.  Our car for 6 plus guide was too tight. 

Thank you Mrs. f. so it's Mangrove tour. Will check.