Knockoff Purses??

reality800

Last year I went to the Bahamas for a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. At their straw market they sold kockoff louis vuittons, burberrys, pradas, etc... I was wondering if they do this on alot of the islands. Specifically, san juan, st thomas, and st martin. I will be there in a few weeks, and will be back in the bahamas but was hoping most of these islands do it to. Thanks!!

There's a little flea market right in downtown Charlotte Amalie that should have knock-off purses.

Actually, a lot of flea markets here have them too and what you could do is price them out here first before you go on vacation to see if you'll really be getting a better deal in the Caribbean. I've seen them at the City Market in Charleston, Englishtown Autction in New Jersey, and Rice's Market in Pennsylvania. And, I know those aren't the only places.

• 3 weeks later...
Where is the coach outlet in San Juan? Is it far from where the ship docks? Another thread said it might be closed. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I was at that store in late October according to the google web site the address is:

• 150 Calle Cristo, Old San Juan, San Juan

Our ship was docked in Old San Juan so it was a very easy walk, maybe 15 minutes. Just ask someone and they will give you directions. It is across from a Dooney & Bourke and Polo store (I think outlet, but not 100%). The Coach store was packed and they did have great prices. I rec'd a purse for Christmas 2004 and they had it for $50 less, plus and additional 30% off.

Trademark infringement is more strictly enforced in St Thomas, so there are now fewer brands available in the Vendors Plaza. They now seem to have, what I call, knockoffs of the knockoffs - similar logo, colors, and styles, but not the exact logo. Some people don't mind, but then there are some that will only settle for the highest quality knockoffs.

The designer selection may be better on other islands.

We did Godfrey's Tour on St Thomas and was dropped off right in front of a flea market area. There were several vendors selling knockoffs. I bought a "Prada" for $35 (he asked $40, I countered at $35 & he said sure). I also found several shops selling knockoffs in Phillipsburg, St Maartin. We took the water taxi over and just one street over were multiple shops. DH came home with a "Rolex" for $20.

I was in San Juan last week and there was a stand with Prada, Louis, Kate Spade, Gucci, Coach, etc...right at the edge of the pier (pier 1 if I remember correctly). This stand (and there are probably others) was located diagonally across from the Citibank.

Be sure to haggle, the guy came down about 40% on what he initially offered.

I can also recommend the Coach store in San Juan (sorry - I know this is a St. Thomas board, but I'm staying on topic!), great bargains on beautiful bags/coats/belts etc...

Happy shopping!

Archived