Drink package as a perk?

jeno

I am traveling with a group of women. We have been cruising on Celebrity for years. This year they saw an itinerary in Royal Carribean that they like. This group also likes a drink package as a perk. I’m not debating whether that is a good value or not.  In your experience,  have you ever had a drink package as a perk through Royal or through your travel agent.  TIA

We are from the UK and we had the drink package included in our price! With flights from the UK to Miami, 2 nights stay in Miami and a 9 night cruise with the free drinks package it was £2600 which we thought was a good price considering the drinks package is around £400 each! They're currently doing all inclusive sailings again in the UK unsure what happens in the US and what offers they have!

1 minute ago, jeno said:

I am traveling with a group of women. We have been cruising on Celebrity for years. This year they saw an itinerary in Royal Carribean that they like. This group also likes a drink package as a perk. I’m not debating whether that is a good value or not.  In your experience,  have you ever had a drink package as a perk through Royal or through your travel agent.  TIA

We have never received a BP as perk through RC.

1 hour ago, jeno said:

The only time I've seen the drink package as a perk for US/Canadian bookings was a transatlantic cruise several years go.

Yes. That’s why I said. “I’m not debating whether that is a good value or not.” 

I am arranging a cruise for a group of ten women.  If you have done that at least 15 times (like I have) you will understand my situation.  

Edited by jeno

3 minutes ago, jeno said:

“I’m not debating whether that is a good value or not. “

Wow, okay.... 

No, I've never seen it on Royal, either, other than as a suite-perk.  

Sometimes a travel agent will use their commission to purchase it and throw it in as a perk (when you pay for an expensive room with a high commission), but that's coming from the TA, not from Royal.  

3 hours ago, dacsmom said:

I wish RCI would have it as a perk in the US. Norwegian does and all you pay is the 18% service charge

Yeah, that's not actually true..... you pay a higher fare in the first place in order to get the "free" drink package.

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Yeah, that's not actually true..... you pay a higher fare in the first place in order to get the "free" drink package.

Not always at all. I cruise between several lines and for a similar type ship, date, and itinerary I paid about $150 less on NCL. Sometimes, one line is less and sometimes another is less. I am not loyal to one line, but base my decision on the best price for the money. I factor the price of the perks into my decision. 

5 hours ago, Alohaaloha said:

I’ve just booked May 19 (Baltic) and May 2020 ( Med Treasures) and both cruises had the Deluxe drinks package as an all inclusive promotion. Big savings for us.

Are you in the US? 

On our Rhapsody Greek cruise a few years ago, RCCl ran a promo for new bookings to have the basic (at the time) beer/wine drink package included. We all had our TA get this ‘perk’ included in our reservation (didn’t have it before...and no change in price for the cruise)...so for us it was essentially free. 

Then we were able to upgrade to the deluxe package onboard for $15 day ($300 total for wife and I on 10 day cruise).  Well worth it!