Late flying time Med. Oceana

Presto2

Hi,

Have just booked our cruise on Oceana for 2020. It will be the second time that we have flown out to Malta for Oceana so never even thought to ask about the flying times.

Well, the flying times came with the paperwork yesterday and it says that we don't leave Manchester until 2pm and arrive in Malta at 18:00hrs.

We leave Malta at 19:00Hrs

We have done 4 Med fly cruises in the past and the flight times were always very early in the morning with us being at the ship before noon.

Has anyone has a flight time this late as we are concerned that we will be arriving at the ship late and may have missed Muster Drill. Really don't want to have to get up early the next day to attend one! Similarly, on the day we leave we will be out of our cabin from 8am and then hanging around the ship waiting to get off for hours. Horrible.

We are thinking of waiting to see if there are any flight time changes and if not booking a pre night stay in Malta - but not sure if they will be direct flights.

I know that it is a long way off yet, but any thoughts appreciated.

We had a late arrival and muster drill was held just after the last passengers board.  They can't sail until everyone's arrived so muster is after that.  Granted for those arriving late they may hardly have time to do anything but head straight for muster.  (Some arrived without their life jackets as it was so rushed.)   But I really don't think you'll be doing it next day as I doubt that would comply with Maritime Law.

As for the last day, we vacated our cabin, had breakfast, left our hand luggage in the luggage drop on board then had a leisurely stroll into Valletta, had a drink then returned for a late lunch.  It wasn't long before our transfer to the airport.  I prefer an early departure both on the outward and return flights but it worked out OK. 

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks for the info everyone but I can't believe that we have booked so far out (for August 2020 Select) and have such rubbish flight times.

On our first cruise on Ocean Village we boarded on the Sunday and for some reason our muster was the next day.

On Oceana in April there was a call for those who had arrived late to an early muster the next morning. Groan.

Not ideal and hate hanging around on the last day --- just want to get home and leave. Oh well, at least we won't be up at the crack of dawn on our embarkation day ….

Alternatively we will see what the booking an overnight in Malta looks like

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks for the info everyone but I can't believe that we have booked so far out (for August 2020 Select) and have such rubbish flight times.

On our first cruise on Ocean Village we boarded on the Sunday and for some reason our muster was the next day.

On Oceana in April there was a call for those who had arrived late to an early muster the next morning. Groan.

Not ideal and hate hanging around on the last day --- just want to get home and leave. Oh well, at least we won't be up at the crack of dawn on our embarkation day ….

Alternatively we will see what the booking an overnight in Malta looks like

We've recently booked the same cruise for June 2019 although not flying from Manchester. Called to enquire and was given the single option of an early afternoon flight time. Called again the next day, spoke to somebody else and had to ask before being told there was an earlier flight. We've not found a departure time for the ship anywhere?

Edited by Tarquin

We had a similar flight time when we flew out to Oceana at the end of September.  Then at the airport we had a delay due to technical problems and I think eventually took off about 3.30pm so it was after 8 pm when we landed in Valetta.  It was dark by then but the coaches were waiting.  We were on a Thomas Cook flight and had to collect our luggage, which took some time, and then take it to the coaches.  By the time we boarded Oceana we had missed the last Muster Drill.  We were supposed to leave port that night but as we had been caught by the Medicane storm it was so windy we could hardly keep upright walking along the dock, so there was no chance of Oceana sailing that night.  There was an announcement for us late passengers saying there would be a muster drill at 9pm or, if we wished we could wait until the next morning at 9am.  We chose to get it over with rather than have to get up in time for the one in the morning.

I forgot to add that with a late return flight we chose to do the excursion where you are taken around the whole island, well most of it and finish with being taken to the airport in time for the flight.  This was a good way to spend the afternoon and it all worked out very well.

We were on Oceana in Malta last June. Muster drill was delayed from 8pm to 8.15 and then 8.30pm so that the coach loads arriving from a delayed flight wouldn't miss it. 

On your last day, if you don't want to hang around the ship then it's less than 10 minutes walk from the port to the Barakka lift which takes you straight up into the centre of Valletta in a few minutes for 1euro. The gardens by the top of the lift have a beautiful view over the harbour and there are several good museums within walking distance, as well as lots of shops and places to eat.

Also, might be worth enquiring about flights again nearer the time, as if they have a lot more bookings wanting to fly from Manchester then other flight options may become available.

Thanks everyone. TA has contacted them and P&O have said that it is a 'dummy flight time' and that the proper flight times will become available in August (12 months beforehand). Have never heard of that one before, but will have to trust what P&O has said on this occasion …...

17 hours ago, Tarquin said:

We've recently booked the same cruise for June 2019 although not flying from Manchester. Called to enquire and was given the single option of an early afternoon flight time. Called again the next day, spoke to somebody else and had to ask before being told there was an earlier flight. We've not found a departure time for the ship anywhere?

We've found a webcam that shows the dock where Oceana is berthed in Malta and we tend to watch her sailaway. (Sad I know!) Generally, she leaves any time between 8pm and 10pm.

• 9 months later...

Have just checked our flight times and they are now definitely late. A, a bit cross as the message from our TA was not accurate and it was not a dummy flight time at all. Bit difficult to chase it up as we booked with Thomas Cook. Will contact P&O and see if we can request an earlier time - really don't fancy hanging around on the last day - hate it.

We were on this flight in August.  It was fine.  The muster is quite soon after arrival onboard. 

On our last day we booked a cabin for day.  It was very good and enabled us to do what we wanted and also have a shower before our return flight. However it was a different cabin from our cruise cabin.  There was very limited availability.  If I can remember correctly it was £30 for the inside cabin.

43 minutes ago, Cleveleysgirl said:

We were on this flight in August.  It was fine.  The muster is quite soon after arrival onboard. 

On our last day we booked a cabin for day.  It was very good and enabled us to do what we wanted and also have a shower before our return flight. However it was a different cabin from our cruise cabin.  There was very limited availability.  If I can remember correctly it was £30 for the inside cabin.

Did they do any excursions for the last day? To be honest we just want to get off the ship on the last day --- I hate getting off so to get the pain over with is better ;-)

I joined Oceana on this flight, 2:05pm from Manchester, on 3 Oct. The flight was one and a half hours late and we finally arrived onboard at 8:30 -  too late for the 8:15 safety drill, a special briefing was held for us in the theatre at 9:15. Coming home, our flight was timed at 7:30pm and we left the ship at 4:40. I booked a day cabin, balcony at £70, so that I could make best use of the day and shower before disembarking. The flight was again delayed and it was about 11pm when we landed at Manchester. Not ideal arrangements!

Edited by Denarius

27 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I joined Oceana on this flight, 2:05pm from Manchester, on 3 Oct. The flight was one and a half hours late and we finally arrived onboard at 8:30 -  too late for the 8:15 safety drill, a special briefing was held for us in the theatre at 9:15. Coming home, our flight was timed at 7:30pm and we left the ship at 4:40. I booked a day cabin, balcony at £70, so that I could make best use of the day and shower before disembarking. The flight was again delayed and it was about 11pm when we landed at Manchester. Not ideal arrangements!

That sounds horrible :-( To be honest we tend to avoid holidays of any kind with late flights leaving and the last day take coming back as we just hate the last day. If we'd known that the flights were this late we would probably have given it a miss. We did question the times when the invoice came but we were told that it was just a dummy booking so not to worry. We booked really early so am surprised that the flights we have been given are not the normally early morning ones we normally get.

Oh well, not much we can do about it now I suppose. Have phoned P&O and were told that there is no other flight that day that has spaced We go in August so am not sure if they have cabins available on the last day as the ship is always full either.

A tour around the island is probably what we will do rather than mopes around.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, Presto2 said:

Have just checked our flight times and they are now definitely late. A, a bit cross as the message from our TA was not accurate and it was not a dummy flight time at all. Bit difficult to chase it up as we booked with Thomas Cook. Will contact P&O and see if we can request an earlier time - really don't fancy hanging around on the last day - hate it.

We booked direct with P&O and the flight times they gave me when booking are not the ones on the personaliser now, they are later as well.

Funny how changes made by holiday companies to flight times are rarely better for the customer or at least not in my experience. Hope you get the time changed.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

We booked direct with P&O and the flight times they gave me when booking are not the ones on the personaliser now, they are later as well.

Funny how changes made by holiday companies to flight times are rarely better for the customer or at least not in my experience. Hope you get the time changed.

I understand if it is linked to TC flights and issues but it was an issue before all of that happened.

Just disappointed but I suppose that worse things can happen ...

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I understand if it is linked to TC flights and issues but it was an issue before all of that happened.

Just disappointed but I suppose that worse things can happen ...

I would understand if it was TC as well but it’s not, they just gave us the wrong information.

We had all our flight times changed by an hour we were told that it was because the computer hadn't taken into consideration the clocks changing when the flight times were programmed into it!

Also i thought since the Concordia disaster ships were not allowed to sail until ALL passengers had done the muster drill so next day drills are against that law as they after sailing.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Hi have been away for a few days and have just come back to this. Hubby is wondering if more planes may be arranged as they sell more cruises and these may have better flying times. I think we are clutching at straws but nothing ventured …..

If they are charter flights then all the passengers will be on the same cruise, so its unlikely, and the scheduled ones will have limited availability anyway. If they already have charter flights for Gatwick 4, Manchester 3, Birmihgham 2, Cardiff 2 and Glasgow 2, then that's already 3300 passengers covered. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:47 PM, Presto2 said:

Did they do any excursions for the last day? To be honest we just want to get off the ship on the last day --- I hate getting off so to get the pain over with is better 😉

We've just been on a cruise which boarded in Malta and there were only three excursions offered. Two morning 9am to 12.30pm and 9am to 13.30pm.

One afternoon 13.45pm to 16.45pm. This goes straight to the airport.

One flight arrived late and we did speak to someone who was on. They said they had to do their drill before the ship could leave, but the dining room was kept open for them.

Edited by happy v