Mardi Gras cruise

merknerk

Hello Everyone, We are sailing on Breakaway in February during Mardi Gras. This being our first time in New Orleans ( especially during Mardi Gras ) we could use some advice from you. We are staying in Gretna. What are some things to not miss and also what to avoid ? We have already been told to stay away from downtown in the evening. Best transportation to and from cruise port and to downtown and the parades,  best places to eat , good tours. We are from a small town in the Northwest so I am sure this will be an eye opening experience but we want to be smart about it. I have heard that Gretna also does their own Mardi Gras celebration if anyone knows about that. Thanks so much Cruise Critic members , your advice is always so helpful. This will be our 18th cruise and I always turn to fellow cruisers like you.

Gretna is a short ride across the Mississippi from New Orleans. If you have a rental car, you may take either the Crescent City Connection or the Westbank Expressway/Hue P. Long bridge over. As with any city, be aware of your surroundings at all times. The French Quarter at night is not for teens or children, but adults can have a really great time as there is so much to see, music to hear, and great food to taste. The Cabildo and Presbytere museums are at Jackson Square next tot he Cathedral and are wonderful. Our Aquarium is right on the river and spectacular! Your ability to see any parades will depend on when you arrive. I recommend checking out Nola.com. They have a section devoted entirely to Mardi Gras where you can see the parade schedules and route maps. Traffic and be crazy getting to and from the parades, so plan ahead. Uber and Lyft are great options as well, but there is a surge pricing for getting you super close to the routes.   Enjoy our city and your cruise! We are on the Breakaway just a few weeks after your trip.