Norwegian Breakaway

AAAagent18

Hello All,

I am on the March 3rd sailing on the Breakaway. I have taken plenty of cruises and booked a lot for clients but never on Norweigan due to the negative reviews that we always are hearing. But I recieved a deal I couldnt pass up for this week so I booked it. We are in room 10276 which is a balcony. We also book under the specialty and free beverage package promotion. Is there anything we should be aware of about theses promotions we picked? Or about the ship? and about Port of New Orleans? All information and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Justin 

On the Breakaway now.  Everything has been very good. We are in balcony 10876. It is a wonderful location near the elevators and the balcony is angled, so it is larger.  The food has been very good as has the entertainment. Not a Rock of Ages fan though.  Enjoy. 

• Like 1

All ships on all cruise lines have negatives reviews for one reason or another.  Some people claim it was the 'worst cruise ever' because there was no lobster night or because they had to wait (gasp) 5 or 10 minutes for a drink at one of the bars or because their cabin steward didn't leave towel animals every night.  People will complain about anything and make it into a much bigger deal than it really is.  You're on a cruise for your vacation, is your life really that bad?  I think not.  You just have to take reviews with a grain of salt.  

The Breakaway is actually our favorite NCL ship.  The crew is amazing, the food is good, the atmosphere is fun - what more could you ask for?!  Find the roll call for your sailing, sign up for the meet & greet, meet the ship's officers that are there and you'll have a card with their contact information on it.  They want you to use it (and we have!) whether good or bad.  If there is something you have a problem with or if you need anything, let them know.  They can't help you fix your problem once you're home from your cruise! 

Explore the ship, see some shows and have some good food.  I highly recommend Ocean Blue (ask for Tracy, she's an amazing server but she may be on vacation) for some wonderful seafood but they also have non-seafood options.  You'll have a wonderful time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AAAagent18 said:

Hello All,

I am on the March 3rd sailing on the Breakaway. I have taken plenty of cruises and booked a lot for clients but never on Norweigan due to the negative reviews that we always are hearing. But I recieved a deal I couldnt pass up for this week so I booked it. We are in room 10276 which is a balcony. We also book under the specialty and free beverage package promotion. Is there anything we should be aware of about theses promotions we picked? Or about the ship? and about Port of New Orleans? All information and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Justin 

Click on the promo you are receiving on NCL.com and read the Terms and Agreements for the promos.  It will tell you what is included, how much and also the gratuities you will have to pay.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, AAAagent18 said:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

Justin 

We sailed the Breakaway twice in the past year.  The most recent was the 11/25 out of NOLA.  We enjoyed both cruises.  It is an imperfect ship, but a good ship.  I personally do not believe that any modern mega ship is a perfect ship for anyone.  

"Freestyle" does not mean that venues will be waiting empty for you at all times.  Other passengers also want to use them, so they may be full when you arrive.  Therefore, the most important recommendation is to make reservations in advance for specialty dining and the two theater shows.  IMO, MDR reservations should also be made in advance, particularly for the first night.  You can always change them once onboard.  Once onboard, go to the box office or find a monitor to make reservations for comedy shows (if you want to go to them).  Of course, you can go without reservations, but seats may not be available or you will have to wait for an open seat/table.   If people would just do this, there would be a lot less negative reviews.  

• Like 1

@TrpngBilly and @phillyguy31....If you actually read the post you would see ive NEVER been on NCL nor booked clients with them. If you know anything about cruising you know NO two cruiselines are the same......But im sure the two of you know that...And  to everyone else that has replied your info has been helpful and I thank you.

Cheers!

On 1/14/2019 at 8:22 AM, luv2cruisekc said:

On the Breakaway now.  Everything has been very good. We are in balcony 10876. It is a wonderful location near the elevators and the balcony is angled, so it is larger.  The food has been very good as has the entertainment. Not a Rock of Ages fan though.  Enjoy. 

glad to hear that you like the room, it's my room on Jan 27 for 10 days. take care of it 🙂 good to know that the balcony is larger and the room is a good location.....I did good in choosing it...enjoy the rest of your cruise

On 1/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, AAAagent18 said:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

Justin 

You can make dining reservations online now, as well as on board. If you don't like to wait with everyone else that didn't reserve a dining time, be sure to reserve. You can reserve dining and shows on the touch screens by the elevators. We reserve most dinners in advance. Comedy can be reserved when you board too. The prime dining times are busy.

Howl at the moon is very entertaining.

2nd the idea of attending the meet and greet. Very nice outreach by NCL.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:22 AM, luv2cruisekc said:

Don't leave the room all messed up, will be going in that one on the 17th.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:58 AM, AAAagent18 said:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

Justin 

Justin,

Can you tell me who is currently the Concierge for the Breakaway?

Visigoth

We came off of the Breakaway on Sunday and had a great cruise, loved the ship.  The tap water is good to drink, We loved everything about our cruise.  Reviews to come with pictures and menus etc.

• Like 1

We also disembarked Sunday.  To those considering the Breakaway, "Do your due diligence".  It is large ship so if you don't like large ships, don't go.  Reading reviews is a good idea but be prepared for one to say the ship is poorly designed, the following says it is well designed.  People love or hate Rock of Ages.  It was on Broadway and is a silly, raucous show that received a standing ovation last week when we saw it.  If rock music is not your thing, don't go to the show.  There is a deck where you literally walk several yards to find three different musicians singing standards and soft rock. Music in the Atrium was always good.  Most importantly, if you can, go when the ship is not too crowded, especially if you want to avoid children (January and February).  Last week there was never an issue finding  a chair at the pool or at the many quiet sections.  We found the main dining rooms fine (Manhattan had music).  The specialty restaurants are terrific in general but once again if you are from the northeast don't think La Cucina will be as good as the zillions of small Italian restaurants we have.  Ocean Blue is as good as any seafood restaurant on land and the service is impeccable.  If you are going to resent the $12 upcharge, don't go.  Cagney's, Moderno, Le Bistro are probably the equal or better than specialty restaurants on other cruise lines.  I venture to say that the buffet beat every expectation, especially for breakfast.  We (three cabins) had a great time, loved the crew and felt we got good bang for the buck.  There were complainers and they started to explain their unhappiness our response was always, "gee, we never encountered that at all".  Go on the Breakaway, smile, meet nice crew and other passengers, you will be very happy.

• Like 6

We're going on the Breakaway in August 2019, and were on the the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas in July.  I keep hearing how BIG the Breakaway is, but does anyone have any comparison to the Adventure?  I Googled both ships, and the Breakaway is less than a hundred feet longer (IIRC).  I know the Aventure is not considered a "MEGA" ship, but just curious if anyone has any comparison...TIA!

1 minute ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

We're going on the Breakaway in August 2019, and were on the the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas in July.  I keep hearing how BIG the Breakaway is, but does anyone have any comparison to the Adventure?  I Googled both ships, and the Breakaway is less than a hundred feet longer (IIRC).  I know the Aventure is not considered a "MEGA" ship, but just curious if anyone has any comparison...TIA!

Passenger capacity wise, Adventure is at 3,114 and Breakaway holds 4,200 or thereabouts.

We never felt really crowded.  The biggest issue is that at times there is a wait for an elevator, the hot tubs(luke warm tubs) would fill up fast on sea days.  The buffet was funny because there are multiple places where the same dish is served and one would be swamped, another would be almost empty.  By the way, they have the cold soups on the buffet 3-5 most days, and most days you can get crepes from 5 to 9 in the buffer.