No AC on Anthem of the Seas

I can't be certain which one it was as I don't know if they are responding to an email I wrote directly to royal carribean offices, the 1 I submitted on their website or the 1 I included in the post-cruise survey. 

Edited by Spqr105

I, also, was on this Apology of the Seas cruise. My timeline as follows:

Day five of the cruise evening - temperature rapidly rises from the set 68 to 74. I call guest services and they send someone. He opens the hall access panel and tells me it will be fine in a few hours and to call back if it isn't. And so begins the "it will be fixed during the night" routine. It climbs to 78, so I call as directed. No one comes.

Day 6 morning. I mention the A/C problem to my room steward. He says it is ship-wide and they are working on it.

Day 6 evening - bouncing between 74 and 78 though set for 68. Customer Service says to expect it to be fixed during the night - again.

Day 7 - No Improvement. During the noon message from the bridge, the Captain acknowledges that he has been made aware of the problem that started the day before (it started at least two days before). He thanked us for our patience and understanding and said to expect repair during the late afternoon or evening - again. 

The bull has become obvious to me. I know things break, but don't lie to us to stall. I went to Customer Service to ask again about repairs. I encountered one young representative with a conscience. I told him I just wanted the truth so I would know how to proceed. He said that if he told me it would be repaired the next day or evening, he would be lying.

Day 8 - Captain gives us the company line "comfort and safety" "patience and understanding" "repaired during the evening.

Bull. The overnight in Port Canaveral has been scheduled to repair the problem.

Day 9  Captain gives his repetitive cheerful explanation. Very obvious the stall is on.

The Hotel Manager was useless and condescending.

Next to last day of the cruise we receive the solution message in our cabin. Stall until the end. I freely admit my A/C problem was not nearly as severe as others. But those who had to endure 5 or more days of cabin temperatures in the 80's, a $200 offer was beyond insulting. 

Concern for passenger comfort and safety indeed. It is a stonewall. It is reprehensible. 

This is what happens when the comfort of stockholders completely outweighs the comfort of customers.

I hope the negative publicity continues. I am scheduled to sail Anthem again February 3. I wish I had the choice of canceling without penalty.

I am very disappointed in the Captain's complicit contribution to the stonewalling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Ask for compensation. We got a 50%FCC after huge problems with our cabin on the Brilliance on our last TA. I am not one to run to guest services with problems unless they are big, but yours is a big problem. 

I'm thinking that those with individual issues have a much better chance getting some form of reimbursement than we do since they would have to give it to everyone. From the email I received they stated that they have to be consistent with their reimbursement so I highly doubt anything further will come of this unless there is some sort of involvement with the media. I'm starting to think that we just got the short end of the stick here.

I just got off the phone with the reporter - she would like any pictures that we have - thermostat shots (Try to send the extremes, 80's the higher the better) pictures of folks sleeping on the decks -  AND your stories -  she will not be able to interview everyone, but the more ... for lack of better words .. Evidence.. The better it will be for us. they are a weekly paper in Miami - who knows who might read the story - If anyone can send our plight to major newspapers (maybe you know a neighbor's cousin's ex-sister-in-law's, new boyfriend who works at one of the papers) - I sent a copy of the 200/300/400 letter to her, and also the reply from the Exec Team that was posted earlier

Her name is Jessica Lipscomb         jessica.lipscomb@miaminewtimes.com    jessica(DOT)lipscomb(AT)miaminewtimes(DOT)com   (I'm not sure if CC allows for emails to be published or not.)

Rick

On 1/22/2019 at 9:07 AM, Spqr105 said:

We are getting ready to book our spring Bermuda vacation but if RCL doesn't make this right (which I highly doubt they will), we will be booking the Norweigan Escape instead. 

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Escape.  We sailed her last June to Bermuda, and we're booked this June as well.  We're sailing MOS next month for a quick getaway, but after a few sailings with Royal Caribbean, it's only if the price is right will we choose them over Norwegian.  The Escape is a great ship.  

🙂 

18 minutes ago, Fastdak25 said:

Did the Escape in 2017, definitely wasn't disappointed.  Didn't think the shows were better, but the food and bar selection certainly was.

Not trying to be rude, but is there any chance of sticking to the OP subject?

Thanks !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rarett said:

Not trying to be rude, but is there any chance of sticking to the OP subject?

Thanks !

umm, I was answering the post in front of me who was also answering someone about the Escape as an alternative due to the RCL problems, but sure. Apologies if I missed the quote button but perhaps read the previous post next time to see why I may have answered like that?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, Spqr105 said:

Well It is Official

I  just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. They told me that an "Executive Decision" has been made - there will be NO COMPENSATION TO PASSENGERS for this inexcusable failure on their cruise ship outside of the credit issued on board the ship.  

It is clear that Royal Caribbean just does not care about who went through what, how much they paid nor do they care if one cabin had no AC for 2 days or 5 days or what the temperature was. They do not care if it was an inside room who paid more than a balcony or that was worse off with no AC than balconies - in short, THEY DO NOT CARE.  

I have to wonder if the Executive Team would never put up with this is it was their money or their vacation that was severely impacted. However, it is not them, or their family members. 

I have not seen a more disgusting situation in my cruising history and can only hope that future passengers of this cruise line go elsewhere to a cruise line who is capable of providing the most basic accommodation requirements. Those future passengers in Royal Caribbean Cabin 10185 please know we had temperatures of 85 for most of the 6 days and it was not fixed when we got back to shore. I truly hope you will never go through what we have experienced.

Perhaps they' caught internal heat over the Oasis compensation and have been ordered to be less generous going forward .

Just dumb though.  It will cost them a lot more than $200 - $400 to get affected passengers to sail with them again.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Has anyone reported the current situation on Anthem. It started to warm up a bit here in Florida now. 

are you on the Anthem right now experiencing AC issues ?  Or are you asking if anyone from this current cruise has given an update.  As the Anthem went to  Cape Can. The AC still wasnt working properly -  they overnighted and it was getting fixed - not sure if it is corrected or not.

1 hour ago, What about the customer said:

I  just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. They told me that an "Executive Decision" has been made - there will be NO COMPENSATION TO PASSENGERS for this inexcusable failure on their cruise ship outside of the credit issued on board the ship.  

It is clear that Royal Caribbean just does not care about who went through what, how much they paid nor do they care if one cabin had no AC for 2 days or 5 days or what the temperature was. They do not care if it was an inside room who paid more than a balcony or that was worse off with no AC than balconies - in short, THEY DO NOT CARE.  

I have to wonder if the Executive Team would never put up with this is it was their money or their vacation that was severely impacted. However, it is not them, or their family members. 

I have not seen a more disgusting situation in my cruising history and can only hope that future passengers of this cruise line go elsewhere to a cruise line who is capable of providing the most basic accommodation requirements. Those future passengers in Royal Caribbean Cabin 10185 please know we had temperatures of 85 for most of the 6 days and it was not fixed when we got back to shore. I truly hope you will never go through what we have experie

Please google online for ANY stories on Cruising, Anthem, Oasis, etc (especially the 'bad PR stories' - see who the reporters are...find their email addresses and send them your, story ! send with pictures !  refer them to this Thread - Buzz words to use  'Ill baby with Fever' 'Disabled Paralyzed Veteran'  (I hate to play my disability and veteran status card, but hey, if it gets someone's attention .... )

I have not seen a more disgusting situation in my cruising history and can only hope that future passengers of this cruise line go elsewhere to a cruise line who is capable of providing the most basic accommodation requirements. Those future passengers in Royal Caribbean Cabin 10185 please know we had temperatures of 85 for most of the 6 days and it was not fixed when we got back to shore. I truly hope you will never go through what we have experienced.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And giving the thread a bump. 

I would like to know if it really was fixed in PC. 

I am currently in a balcony cabin on the Anthem, deck 7 forward.  Today in Nassau it was 77 and our cabin remained at a constant 68 (where our thermostat was set).  Our Head waiter said the AC was fixed on Sunday in Port Canaveral.  His cabin which had no AC, was starting to cool about 5:00pm Sunday.  Everywhere I've walked in the public areas are cool, it seems like the problem has been fixed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rarett said:

I just got off the phone with the reporter - she would like any pictures that we have - thermostat shots (Try to send the extremes, 80's the higher the better) pictures of folks sleeping on the decks -  AND your stories -  she will not be able to interview everyone, but the more ... for lack of better words .. Evidence.. The better it will be for us. they are a weekly paper in Miami - who knows who might read the story - If anyone can send our plight to major newspapers (maybe you know a neighbor's cousin's ex-sister-in-law's, new boyfriend who works at one of the papers) - I sent a copy of the 200/300/400 letter to her, and also the reply from the Exec Team that was posted earlier

Her name is Jessica Lipscomb         jessica.lipscomb@miaminewtimes.com    jessica(DOT)lipscomb(AT)miaminewtimes(DOT)com   (I'm not sure if CC allows for emails to be published or not.)

Rick

Have you considered social media. News Paper subscriptions are down with many going belly up. You rarely even see anyone reading them on the train anymore.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunnyv said:

I am currently in a balcony cabin on the Anthem, deck 7 forward.  Today in Nassau it was 77 and our cabin remained at a constant 68 (where our thermostat was set).  Our Head waiter said the AC was fixed on Sunday in Port Canaveral.  His cabin which had no AC, was starting to cool about 5:00pm Sunday.  Everywhere I've walked in the public areas are cool, it seems like the problem has been fixed. 

Glad to hear the a.c. is up and running again. Sailing Anthem is a few weeks. Thanks for posting this encouraging news Sunnyv.

Jonathan

• Like 1

20 hours ago, What about the customer said:

Well I have photos of my tent made of bed sheets on the deck where I slept and the details - happy to talk to the reporter. I dont hold out hope that I will see anything from the Royal Disaster 
Cruise Line

You should post them on CC.