Bermuda in early November?

djpk2003

Anyone have experience visiting Bermuda this time of year? We will be docking Nov 6-8 for our first time in Bermuda and I'm really not sure what to plan. Will it be warm enough to swim and hang out on the beach? Will a lot of things be closed that time of year? I am seeing conflicting information on various websites and starting to worry a bit that this cruise was the wrong choice for us. 

As a frame of reference, we are a family of 4 with a 12 & 13 year old. We most enjoy snorkeling, beach time, and some exploration of the sights of new places. I was considering the caverns, but honestly we have visited caverns before and don't know if that's worth it. Don't want to book a tour that includes snorkeling if the water is going to be freezing. 

Advice and insight much appreciated! 

Bermuda is somewhat in line with the Carolinas (farther north than many think) so likely too cold for swimming and snorkeling in November.  I'm not sure about things being closed, but it isn't peak season.  You can probably still see the beaches, but only wading vs. swimming (I could be wrong, maybe the ocean would still be warm from the summer).

What line are you cruising that takes you by Bermuda that late?  What are your other ports?  Maybe you can enjoy some golf or exploring historical sights.

• 2 weeks later...

Avg. temps for Nov. range from a low of 67F to a high of 76F and water is around 74F. Water visibility is good for scuba or snorkeling but a wet suit is probably needed. Any self-respecting Bermidian won’t set foot in the water until May 24 but then they are used to warm water.

If you are game and the water temp doesn’t scare you off, there’s no reason to book a snorkeling excursion. One of the best places is Tobacco Bay where you can stay in a sheltered area or go out in the open ocean. I’ve never been disappointed there. Church Bay is also good but it tends to be a bit rough there.

As far as something else to do, we thought Fort Hamilton was pretty cool.

fort hamilton bermuda park moat

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to reconsider traveling at this time.  We live in NC and have vacation property in SC at the beach and we never get in the water after end of September.  Now it's sometimes warm enough to just lay out at the beach, but don't think you want to travel all the way to Bermuda to do that.  Sometimes in November we've even had to wear coats because it was so cool.  But it's your vacation, just depends on what activities you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a land vacation to Bermuda that week a few years back and it was wonderful.  Like anywhere you go, the temperatures vary year by year and quite honestly it's very hard to predict if it'll be warm enough for the various activities.  All our photos from our trip were in shorts & t-shirts, with a light jacket for the evenings.  

Kids that age do not mind the cold at all, and I think you'll have a hard time keeping them out of the water.   Our kids were in high school at the time and had no problem going not only in the ocean water but our hotel had caves on the property and there was swimming in there - that water was ice cold as it gets no sunlight and they were in that water anyway! 

The only things we ran into was reduced schedules with public transportation since it's technically not "tourist season."  But we weren't out and about all that much at night, and our hotel had a stop for one of the main bus routes at it's entrance.  We also had a Swizzle Inn within walking distance, where we had dinner each night. 

We have an overnight coming up the end of April and do not expect to go in the water, but our now college-aged kids are not with us.  Otherwise they would be in the water while we watched from shore.  😄 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are on that same cruise, coming in on the Escape. We're really looking forward to it. We aren't really planning on doing much swimming though, but that's ok with us. There seems to be lots to do on land, and some of the boat tours look like fun. I do love to snorkel, but since I now have to wear glasses, that's out anyway. Temps in the upper 60's to low 70's sound perfect to us.

30 minutes ago, kh81828587 said:

We are on that same cruise, coming in on the Escape. We're really looking forward to it. We aren't really planning on doing much swimming though, but that's ok with us. There seems to be lots to do on land, and some of the boat tours look like fun. I do love to snorkel, but since I now have to wear glasses, that's out anyway. Temps in the upper 60's to low 70's sound perfect to us.

Don't give up snorkeling! You can buy a snorkel with corrective lenses. That is what I did.  It does not cost that much more than regular lenses. 

Edited by Charles4515