Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2019

barbpretz

On 7/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, RRFan said:

I know but we were just on the Island Princess and there was no sign outside of Sabatini's and nothing listed in the daily schedule (like the Pub Lunch), but it was open on 2 of the sea days. Only 4 or 5 tables of people each time we were there. The only way you'd know is to look at the back of the Patter where the restaurants are listed and it was listed under Sabatini's on those two sea days.  That's why I mentioned that you have to look for it because not all ships that have it advertise it.

I have seen "Pub Lunch" mentioned a few times in this forum but can find no reference to it on the Princess website. Where and when is it offered?

1 hour ago, nusail said:

I have seen "Pub Lunch" mentioned a few times in this forum but can find no reference to it on the Princess website. Where and when is it offered?

Hi, 

Will be offered on a sea day, maybe two times depending on length of cruise.  Will be noted in the Princess Patter.  Usually starts 11:30am to I think 1:00pm.  Pretty popular, we usually go early, at 11:30am, even though we usually eat a later lunch on other days.

1 hour ago, nusail said:

The Pub Lunch is usually offered in one of the specialty restaurants and you have a choice of three British-style lunches—fish & chips, bangers & mash (?) or some kind of meat & kidney pie I believe. No charge for food but you pay for drinks except water, tea or coffee. 

10 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi, 

Will be offered on a sea day, maybe two times depending on length of cruise.  Will be noted in the Princess Patter.  Usually starts 11:30am to I think 1:00pm.  Pretty popular, we usually go early, at 11:30am, even though we usually eat a later lunch on other days.

Thanks for the info. And in which venue(s)?

3 minutes ago, nusail said:

Thanks for the info. And in which venue(s)?

The Pub Lunch is always listed in the Patter and the location will be given. FYI — The line forms early and often gets long. 

1 minute ago, RRFan said:

The Pub Lunch is always listed in the Patter and the location will be given. FYI — The line forms early and often gets long. 

Thanks to all who responded. I confess, now that I know what it is ... bangers and mash, meat pie, etc. ... I don't think it's really my thing but many others clearly enjoy it if the line starts early and gets long. We're lucky the cruise lines have something for every taste. 😊

9 hours ago, nusail said:

Thanks to all who responded. I confess, now that I know what it is ... bangers and mash, meat pie, etc. ... I don't think it's really my thing but many others clearly enjoy it if the line starts early and gets long. We're lucky the cruise lines have something for every taste. 😊

I have fish and chips, it’s a hit or miss on quality.

13 hours ago, nusail said:

Don't rule out to quickly.  The Fish and Chips are to die for and I think the most poplar of foods offered!!  Then finish off with the Bread and Butter Pudding.  YUMMY!!!

Edited by #love2cruise
unwanted word

4 hours ago, julie3fan said:

I actually enjoy the curry chicken over rice, and the fried shrimp is also quite good.  And the bread pudding is pretty decent, too.

correct - we have seen the fried shrimp on some cruises ... certainly not all

and it was good ...

and as others stated - place is packed, but turnaround is quick because of the limited menu

While this doesn't apply to only Princess I think this tip is a great one for cruisers and all travelers in general. Clothes have a tendency to get wrinkled in a suitcase and I hate ironing them even though there are irons and an ironing board usually in the self-service laundromat aboard the Princess ships. I good alternate to smoothing out those wrinkles is using a little bit of Wrinkle Relief. Many stores carry this great product including Walmart. Unfortunately it usually comes in a "lifetime sized bottle", so I transfer a little into a small spray bottle and pack it in checked luggage. To use it I simply lay the garment out on the bed spray a little on the material and smooth out the wrinkles with my hand. It works great.

Another tip when traveling: If you have problems with your liquids leaking in your checked baggage on the airlines you can use a couple layers of saran wrap placed around the mouth of the bottle then screw the cap down tightly. I've also started packing a small roll of plastic marking ribbon which can be purchased in most hardware stores which works equally well for the same purpose. This is the material that is used to mark trails with and that survivors use.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, suzyed said:

Princess collected our passports when we were in Ireland.
When we were on an Alaska cruise, we made a stop in Canada, of course.  We were told to bring our ID/Passports and we had to show them before we entered.   This was back in 2008 and 2010 so maybe it has changed since then. 
We sometimes, but not always, talk our passports with us when we go ashore.

We had to show ours in 2015, So I keep it on me.  Just in case.

29 minutes ago, mya603 said:

We had to show ours in 2015, So I keep it on me.  Just in case.

Things might change with threat levels, but we haven’t had to show passport in Canadian port in several years. If your cruise originated in Vancouver, you’ve already done customs as you board. If your cruise starts in LA, SF or Seattle, you will do a Canada customs form before you get off in Victoria. Some excursions (that go into CA) may require you to have it on you, but a port call at Victoria or VC won’t, or if they need it, you’ll be told to take it. Im speaking from Princess cruise experiences only. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure if its just for this itinerary, or because its late in the Alaska season, or if this happens often. But Alfredo's on the Royal is offering bottles of wine for $9.00 (+18%). Cheaper than a single glass! Only small catch is that you must drink it there, or in your cabin (or you can return to Alfredo's with it as well). The red was a Diseno Malbec (pretty decent), the white was something from Nobilo (didn't see the varietal). 

Edited by alanstarr

On 8/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, Bwana Tom said:

While this doesn't apply to only Princess I think this tip is a great one for cruisers and all travelers in general. Clothes have a tendency to get wrinkled in a suitcase and I hate ironing them even though there are irons and an ironing board usually in the self-service laundromat aboard the Princess ships. I good alternate to smoothing out those wrinkles is using a little bit of Wrinkle Relief. Many stores carry this great product including Walmart. Unfortunately it usually comes in a "lifetime sized bottle", so I transfer a little into a small spray bottle and pack it in checked luggage. To use it I simply lay the garment out on the bed spray a little on the material and smooth out the wrinkles with my hand. It works great.

Another tip when traveling: If you have problems with your liquids leaking in your checked baggage on the airlines you can use a couple layers of saran wrap placed around the mouth of the bottle then screw the cap down tightly. I've also started packing a small roll of plastic marking ribbon which can be purchased in most hardware stores which works equally well for the same purpose. This is the material that is used to mark trails with and that survivors use.

That's a great ideal, the wrinkle relief, I'll try that on my next cruise:)

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:35 AM, Bwana Tom said:

A good alternate to smoothing out those wrinkles is using a little bit of Wrinkle Relief. Many stores carry this great product including Walmart. Unfortunately it usually comes in a "lifetime sized bottle", so I transfer a little into a small spray bottle and pack it in checked luggage. To use it I simply lay the garment out on the bed spray a little on the material and smooth out the wrinkles with my hand. It works great.

An inexpensive alternative to Wrinkle Relief is to make your own.

I saw this hint on CC years ago. Using that small spray bottle, put approx. one part liquid Fabric Softener to maybe 6 or 7 parts water.

I also have a small spry bottle of Wrinkle Relief (think I got it in Walmart in the area where they have small travel size goodies) that I refill with my own mix.

13 hours ago, alanstarr said:

Not sure if its just for this itinerary, or because its late in the Alaska season, or if this happens often. But Alfredo's on the Royal is offering bottles of wine for $9.00 (+18%). Cheaper than a single glass! Only small catch is that you must drink it there, or in your cabin (or you can return to Alfredo's with it as well). The red was a Diseno Malbec (pretty decent), the white was something from Nobilo (didn't see the varietal). 

Or take the bottle to your cabin, pour it into a glass and go anywhere you want. Once it's in a glass, no one knows where it came from.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, alanstarr said:

nice - my guess is that they are trying to get rid of certain wine or maybe it is getting older. I have seen that done on ships before.

23 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Or take the bottle to your cabin, pour it into a glass and go anywhere you want. Once it's in a glass, no one knows where it came from.

In our case they sure do. We use large water glasses from the DR. 

They still don't care and even carry it to our table if we let them. 😊

On 7/28/2019 at 5:02 PM, Furrryrocious said:

Can you hold that in an IRA account and still qualify?

And if any Canadians are reading and wondering, the CCL stock can be in a regular investment account, a RRSP, a TFSA, etc, as long as in name of Captain Circle member who is sailing.

18 minutes ago, Crazy4Cruz'n said:

Question?

If my husband has the required 100 CCL stock in his retirement account and I have my own 100 CCL stock in my retirement account, will we both get the $100.00 OBC if we're in the same cabin?

I've always read that the owner's benefit is 1 per married couple per stateroom, but it would be worth submitting separate requests and hope for the best!   I have read about non-married couples each receiving the benefit (maybe they had separate onboard accounts?)  Report back if you get it!!

30 minutes ago, RRFan said:

I've always read that the owner's benefit is 1 per married couple per stateroom, but it would be worth submitting separate requests and hope for the best!   I have read about non-married couples each receiving the benefit (maybe they had separate onboard accounts?)  Report back if you get it!!

I can speak from experience that only one person in the stateroom can get the stock credit. It’s doesn’t matter even if the 2 names are different only one person is allowed the credit. 

Tom😎