Check-In Case Of Bottled Watter On RCCL?

I know RCCL recently changed their policy regarding non-alcoholic beverages being taken onboard and that now you can officially carry on 12 bottles, cans, etc, per stateroom on embarkation day. Previously, we would just put a luggage tag on a 24 case of water and it would get delivered to the room, even when this technically wasn't allowed at all based on the rules. We have a sailing coming up the end of June on the Allure and I'm curious if people have still been able to slap luggage tags on a case of water for it to be delivered to your stateroom? I really don't feel like breaking up a case and having each of us carry around 12 bottles in a bag so, I'm hoping that port workers are still just delivering the cases of water like they used to, as it has been a pretty easy thing to do in the past. Wish they offered a case of water like Carnival does, for purchase but they only offer the ridiculously priced Evian water. Would like to hear any recent experiences, from after RCCL made the change and started allowing a limited amount to be carried on back in like September I believe. Thank you.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

There have been several reports of cases of water being refused by the porters.

By the way, the limit is 12 bottles per stateroom, not per person.

Yes I know, we have 2 staterooms so, I meant breaking up a case for each to carry 12 in that way.

I read that the people who used to do the luggage tags on a case of water are no longer allowed to do so.  They have been refused by the baggage handlers. I tried searching for the threads, but I had no luck.

I have also seen where people have tried to carry on more than the 12 cans/bottles and were forced to leave the extras behind.  This makes sense to me as I have heard people complain that they didn't get their luggage until late and part of the reason was that the crew delivering luggage were having to deliver the water as part of the luggage.

So technically its a 3-4$ gamble still.  I never had an issue in the past brining a 12 pcak of water on. I haven't cruised in a year so I am a little track of what rules have changed

3 minutes ago, trev71 said:

So technically its a 3-4$ gamble still.  I never had an issue in the past brining a 12 pcak of water on. I haven't cruised in a year so I am a little track of what rules have changed

Correct but it may now no longer be a gamble at all and could just be outright being refused everywhere. Haven't cruised RCCL since 2017. Back in around September 2018, they made a policy change. Previously you weren't allowed to bring any non-alcoholic beverages onboard, based on their official policy. Now, you can bring up to 12 (17oz) bottles/cans per stateroom but it has to be carried on with you. I tried searching for anyone posting about it, after the change was made but hadn't seen anything on cruise critic, just found one thing on google from some other site about being refused by porters but no further details. Figured putting up a post was the best way to get solid answers from anyone who used to put the luggage tag on the case and has tried doing it after that official policy change.

there is no way I am carrying a 12 pack of water for a few hours before we are allowed to go to our room. I always get the soda package anyways. I just like having some bottled water for the night time so I don't have to go get something to drink at 2am if I am thirsty

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trev71 said:

there is no way I am carrying a 12 pack of water for a few hours before we are allowed to go to our room. I always get the soda package anyways. I just like having some bottled water for the night time so I don't have to go get something to drink at 2am if I am thirsty

You can also purchase single bottles onboard, or an Evian water package of 12 or 24 one-liter bottles.

11 minutes ago, trev71 said:

Since you are getting a soda package, you will have the cup.  Just fill it with ice and water before you go to your cabin for the evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trackhead37 said:

I know RCCL recently changed their policy regarding non-alcoholic beverages being taken onboard and that now you can officially carry on 12 bottles, cans, etc, per stateroom on embarkation day. Previously, we would just put a luggage tag on a 24 case of water and it would get delivered to the room, even when this technically wasn't allowed at all based on the rules. We have a sailing coming up the end of June on the Allure and I'm curious if people have still been able to slap luggage tags on a case of water for it to be delivered to your stateroom? I really don't feel like breaking up a case and having each of us carry around 12 bottles in a bag so, I'm hoping that port workers are still just delivering the cases of water like they used to, as it has been a pretty easy thing to do in the past. Wish they offered a case of water like Carnival does, for purchase but they only offer the ridiculously priced Evian water. Would like to hear any recent experiences, from after RCCL made the change and started allowing a limited amount to be carried on back in like September I believe. Thank you.

Easy for you, not so much for the baggage handlers. It probably doesn't sound like much but it's just one more thing they have to deal with.

• Like 2

The only reason I bring water on in my carry on is that the bottles for sale are the 1 liter bottles and I like to carry the smaller ones. The price really isn't that bad on board at all. The first time I looked at buying the bottled water on board I thought it was the small bottles and that the price was outrageous. Then I saw the size of the bottles and realized my mistake.

3 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Easy for you, not so much for the baggage handlers. It probably doesn't sound like much but it's just one more thing they have to deal with.

Yes, easy for me, which is all I care about. I don't really care if it sounds like much or doesn't sound like much. Case of water is generally lighter than one of our suitcases so, with a tag on it, it's no more difficult to get to a room than a piece of luggage is. The only real issue for the company, is people not buying their overpriced bottled water.

2 minutes ago, dacsmom said:

The only reason I bring water on in my carry on is that the bottles for sale are the 1 liter bottles and I like to carry the smaller ones. The price really isn't that bad on board at all. The first time I looked at buying the bottled water on board I thought it was the small bottles and that the price was outrageous. Then I saw the size of the bottles and realized my mistake.

You're talking about the Evian 1 Liter water. They also sell regular 16.9oz purified bottles of water as well, for cheaper than the Evian. But cheaper still means, the cost of 2 bottles of their regular purified water, is about what you would pay for an entire 24 case of poland spring water.

2 minutes ago, junglecat said:

If bringing water on board can it be in bottles?  I know at Carnival it has to be cans, which is crazy.  I've never seen water that is sold in cans, but I'm sure it's available in port cities, just for this reason.  

500ml bottles are just fine.

2 minutes ago, junglecat said:

If bringing water on board can it be in bottles?  I know at Carnival it has to be cans, which is crazy.  I've never seen water that is sold in cans, but I'm sure it's available in port cities, just for this reason.  

Aside from seltzer water, I don’t know of canned water. Bottles are allowed up to 17oz and the normal sized ones are 16.9oz. Carnival actually sells cases of water for delivery to your room. We had two cases waiting for us on our Horizon cruise last year, which was nice and the pricing wasn’t insane either.

17 minutes ago, junglecat said:

The only canned water I've ever seen is when Anheuser Busch does it for disaster relief.

1 minute ago, jkfun92 said:

I have bought water package on Carnival and it is only $4.95/12 pack.  I am willing to pay that amount, but not $39.

Carnival changed their policy a few years back and started selling water at a reasonable price.  We had hoped that Royal Caribbean would follow suit, but it didn't happen.  The Evian they sell is in 1 liter bottles, not the 500 ml bottles Carnival sells, but it is still not worth $39 to us, especially since we don't like Evian.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:48 AM, Trackhead37 said:

2016 Anthem just slapped the room luggage tag on case of water and it got to room.

2017 I was advised by cruise critic input to wheel it on in luggage case and drop off in South Pacific lounge with staff until rooms are ready Grandeur.

2019 I’ve read the South Pacific lounge storage no longer. You must now wheel around your carry on with water in it.

I might just bring 12 bottles on. We always bring double wall stainless steel water bottles that we refill with ice water from a clean cup. No contamination. My wife is a cancer survivor and has so many pills through out the day. Plus eye drops that require refrigeration. Not always an option on older ships. Even when requesting.

We adapt to the situation.

8 hours ago, kdballroomer said:

I had a case of water packed in a canvas bag with a luggage tag for the Anthem cruise we did in November.  It didn’t pass check in.  We were only allowed to CARRY ON 12 bottles per stateroom. 

Good to know. Thanks.

Yes, easy for pax to just "slap a tag" on a shrink wrapped bulky case of water...but a total pain in the butt for porters to lug that thing around and get it to your cabin.  It's bulky, has no wheels, and no handles like a suitcase. They don't want to drag it around anymore than you do, plus against the rules.    

Me, I toss a FEW bottles in a duffel bag with handles and check that.   Works fine every time.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, dacsmom said: