Cruise Critic Community
SeaBunny

Ordering Dinner in MDR

I noticed Celebrity menus show three categories. Are you limited to one dish in each category? On other lines I've been able to mix it up, order an appetizer and a salad, or whatever. We've never done Celebrity before but I've noticed a lot of things are different here.

You can mix it up, for sure....

Just let the waiter know what and you want it and the rest will be delicious or so has been our experience....

bon voyage

Yes, you can mix it.  The menu used to have 4 courses, now 3 - many people still order 4 courses.  We often order extra veg, occasionally French fries (as a side).  On our last cruise, on one night, one of our table mates couldn't decide between the lobster or the steak so they brought him both - as one dish.

They are there to make you happy and will do all they can within reason to make your meal special.

We were told once of someone who was dining on a larger table and every night ordered every dish in every course.  The person would eat a few mouthfuls and then move onto the next plate, dreadful. The diners on the table were at their wits end as it meant that each meal took hours.

39 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Yes, you can mix it.  The menu used to have 4 courses, now 3 - many people still order 4 courses.  We often order extra veg, occasionally French fries (as a side).  On our last cruise, on one night, one of our table mates couldn't decide between the lobster or the steak so they brought him both - as one dish.

They are there to make you happy and will do all they can within reason to make your meal special.

We were told once of someone who was dining on a larger table and every night ordered every dish in every course.  The person would eat a few mouthfuls and then move onto the next plate, dreadful. The diners on the table were at their wits end as it meant that each meal took hours.

That is both hysterical and awful!

Thanks to all for the info!

43 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

If they had asked to be moved to a different table, they wouldn't have been at their wits end.  :classic_dry:

Edited by Wine-O

You can order as many items as you like.  The portions are small, for example 3 shrimp on the shrimp cocktail, 3 small scallops on the scallop appetizer.  The shrimp picture below I had requested extra shrimp.

20180217_181641.jpg

2018-02-25 10.01.46.jpg

2018-02-25 10.02.57.jpg

20180915_132217.jpg

20180915_185034.jpg

Edited by micheleata

We always order appetizer, salad, soup, entree, dessert. Each course is brought out at our pace. Never rushed. All while the sommelier is  keeping our wine glasses topped off. 

Edited by davekathy

We are not big eaters and once in awhile we find an appetizer that is more interesting than an main dish.    You can order any appetizer as a dinner size portion.  

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

If they had asked to be moved to a different table, they wouldn't have been at their wits end.  :classic_dry:

I think they did after a few days, and then spent the whole cruise scared of bumping into them.

2 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Actually they used to have 5 courses and 6 if you count the sorbet on Formal nights but that is lone gone 

You can normally get mains in small sizes and starters in main meal size.

ask

worst that can happen is you are old no.

if you are getting multiples of one course it is polite to tell the waiter that your table mates do not need to sit and wait for their next course. 

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

For sure.  Probably relates to “we were once told me someone”. 

Your waiter and assistant waiter will work with you in any way you wish - just ask. I often have two appetizers, soup and/or salad, entree and dessert. Have even been known to have four appetizers and no entree; or an appetizer instead of dessert.

Just be sure to tip accordingly -  over and above the auto gratuities.

Enjoy your cruise.

we had this problem on our cruise last year

I was trying to decide between the beef wellington or the crayfish / lobster and the waiter said he'd bring both - which he did... and they were both outstanding

10 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

I noticed Celebrity menus show three categories. Are you limited to one dish in each category? On other lines I've been able to mix it up, order an appetizer and a salad, or whatever. We've never done Celebrity before but I've noticed a lot of things are different here.

You may order whatever you like, and request to have it brought out in whichever order you prefer.

(Just thinking of the old saying:  Life is short.  Eat dessert first.)

I am among those who will often order multiple appetizers, sometimes with salad and/or soup,  and skip the entree.

What can I say -- Celebrity has lots of appetizers that I really like.

Unless you prefer a long, slow, drawn-out meal, I would suggest asking them to bring several dishes out at the same time.  If we don't ask them to do this, it can be maddeningly slow sometimes waiting for them to bring multiple appetizers out one at a time.

Hope that you enjoy Celebrity as much as we do.

The staff and crew are great and delight in trying to please you.

Edited by fleckle

My wife, sister-in-law and I were on the Silhouette in December 2018.  Since the appetizers were typically small in portion, we often ordered 4 or 5, and then shared them and passed the plate around (it was only the 3 of us at the table).  Some of the soups were kind of fun, and there was enough that we all got a nice sample.  We did stick with just one entree.  After the first night or so, our servers understood what we were doing, and arranged the presentation appropriately.  It was great fun, and they were happy to please!  🙂

We always order the cheese to share as extra desert - with glass of port 4 courses. Excellent