Is Celebrity Listening- Grand Cafe Closed

MVPinBoynton

We are currently on Edge. They have closed down the Grand Cafe area next to the Martini Bar. I asked about it and they are looking at changing its use to perhaps to make the bar area larger.  I guess that X is listening and realize the lack of a large before dinner venue with music is needed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MVPinBoynton said:

We are currently on Edge. They have closed down the Grand Cafe area next to the Martini Bar. I asked about it and they are looking at changing its use to perhaps to make the bar area larger.  I guess that X is listening and realize the lack of a large before dinner venue with music is needed.

Hope the do listen.  Hope you are enjoying the cruise too!

32 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

I looked at the deck plan.... I thought that was part of the Martini bar... that is were we sat every day for pre dinner cocktails... listening to the music... we sat right next to the staircase that went from deck 3 to that mid level section...where the music was. Can't see how closing this adds space for the bar... it takes space away. Are we talking about the same space? This area was part of bar service back in Dec.... were they serving food there on your cruise? The only food they served when we were there was trail mix...or something like it

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 4.10.58 PM.png

Edited by kearney

35 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Thanks for the update

Wonder when  or what they will decide...we cruise on the 27th.  Was that a grab and go lunch cafe?  Keep us posted!

Have a great cruise,

The cafe is in the upper corner of the diagram under cabin 3151.  What is labeled as Grand Plaza Cafe ended up being used as seating for the Martini Bar.  The cafe had coffees, soft drinks and light snacks such as pastries and wraps. It was a very convenient spot for a snack or light lunch if you didn't want to go to a restaurant. It's really in a corner behind the bar so I can't see it being used for anything else than a few more tables.

2 minutes ago, hvsteve1 said:

The cafe is in the upper corner of the diagram under cabin 3151.  What is labeled as Grand Plaza Cafe ended up being used as seating for the Martini Bar.  The cafe had coffees, soft drinks and light snacks such as pastries and wraps. It was a very convenient spot for a snack or light lunch if you didn't want to go to a restaurant. It's really in a corner behind the bar so I can't see it being used for anything else than a few more tables.

This is so confusing... so the OP is incorrect that "the Grand Cafe area next to the Martini Bar"... as shown in the diagram and referred to in the post.. is NOT the area that is being closed... but instead they closed Cafe al Bacio on deck 4? I assume they are NOT closing Le Grand Bistro. Too many names sound alike.

I reread Steve's post.... Man we sat there every day... I never noticed some place to get food in the corner... is that what you are talking about... near the service door where my server went to get my pina colada? Did they serve food over there? I just recall tables just like the one were were at.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP. I find it strange they would close that large area labeled Grand Cafe as I already see complaints about finding seating in the Martini Bar area. I assumed it was the coffee bar area to the left and behind the Martini Bar on the lowest level.

He did not say Cafe Baccio..so must assume he  described the spot correctly  .He has been on the ship previously and has done ab extensive review

As per deck plans,  Cafe Baccio is one deck up on 4 .as is Le Grand Bistro.

Where does the band or performers or DJ set up near the Martini Bar??

Edited by hcat

22 minutes ago, hcat said:

He did not say Cafe Baccio..so must assume he  described the spot correctly  .He has been on the ship previously and has done ab extensive review

As per deck plans,  Cafe Baccio is one deck up on 5..as is Le Grand Bistro.

Where does the band or performers or DJ set up near the Martini Bar??

Cafe al Bacio on the Edge is on deck 4 not 5 on the Edge.  Le Grand Bistro is also on deck 4 and operating-was there today.

It is where they do Le Petit Chef.  What is on the deck plan posted  by Kearny as the Grand Plaza Cafe is on deck 3 and as MVPinBoyntin said no food served.  Maybe on earlier sailings but I find there plenty of places to eat.

performers set up near the grand piano opposite the Martini Bar.

Edited by jelayne

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Wise move. They should turn into something like Crush on the S-class ships which was basically overflow seating for the Martini Bar.

That area is already the overflow seating area for the Martini Bar.  We sat there and so did a lot of people when you couldn't get a seat closer.  I honestly don't see how this will change things, unless they are talking about taking the food kiosk out, and putting a couple more tables in its place. whoopee!  That will add another 6 seats or so.  Still not enough!

45 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Cafe al Bacio on the Edge is on deck 4 not 5 on the Edge.  Le Grand Bistro is also on deck 4 and operating-was there today.

It is where they do Le Petit Chef.  What is on the deck plan posted  by Kearny as the Grand Plaza Cafe is on deck 3 and as MVPinBoyntin said no food served.  Maybe on earlier sailings but I find there plenty of places to eat.

performers set up near the grand piano opposite the Martini Bar.

.i realized my  big error and edited my post to say 4..but apparently not quickly enough,  so sorry for adding to the confusion! 

What if anything was happening at the Deck 3 Grand Plaza Cafe?  Is it taking overflow from the Martini Bar?  Is MB that crowded ..or just at prime times?

Has anyone played the Grand Piano in a concert,? That  would be great during the day!

I am wondering if the kiosk was already removed by the 12/16 sailing... This is why I was confused about what was closed... because I faced that way for probably 5 out of 7 nights and all I recall was seeing people seated there in similar seats as those across that side of the area... the only food I was aware of was the bottle of trail mix we got. I assumed the only close place for a snack was the Cafe al Bacio... if it was there... I agree with ecslady... won't add but 6 seats or so.... 

28 minutes ago, kearney said:

I am wondering if the kiosk was already removed by the 12/16 sailing... This is why I was confused about what was closed... because I faced that way for probably 5 out of 7 nights and all I recall was seeing people seated there in similar seats as those across that side of the area... the only food I was aware of was the bottle of trail mix we got. I assumed the only close place for a snack was the Cafe al Bacio... if it was there... I agree with ecslady... won't add but 6 seats or so.... 

I was on the Dec. 16th sailing and never saw any kind of food being offered anywhere near the Martini bar. 

4 hours ago, kearney said:

I looked at the deck plan.... I thought that was part of the Martini bar... that is were we sat every day for pre dinner cocktails... listening to the music... we sat right next to the staircase that went from deck 3 to that mid level section...where the music was. Can't see how closing this adds space for the bar... it takes space away. Are we talking about the same space? This area was part of bar service back in Dec.... were they serving food there on your cruise? The only food they served when we were there was trail mix...or something like it

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 4.10.58 PM.png

That is the space. They are planning to something different with it. 

3 hours ago, kearney said:

This is so confusing... so the OP is incorrect that "the Grand Cafe area next to the Martini Bar"... as shown in the diagram and referred to in the post.. is NOT the area that is being closed... but instead they closed Cafe al Bacio on deck 4? I assume they are NOT closing Le Grand Bistro. Too many names sound alike.

It is the Grand Cafe that is closed off. 

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I only saw the kiosk open with food during the day, not in the evening. Perhaps that's why you never noticed it sitting there at night.

15 minutes ago, ecslady said:

I only saw the kiosk open with food during the day, not in the evening. Perhaps that's why you never noticed it sitting there at night.

I'm looking at the daily planners for the Dec. 16th cruise and there's no reference to the Grand Plaza Cafe anywhere. The only place I see it listed is the the little ship directory that's given out. Strangely, in that reference guide it's listed under lounges rather than under dining. Anyway, none of the daily planners has a listing for it whether in lounges or dining. That's why I have no idea what this is! 

Edited by kwokpot