First time NCL cruiser - Getaway from NYC questions!

IHEARTSUP14

Hello Everyone!

We are booked on the Getaway in Mid-April and being a first time NCL cruiser I have a couple questions I am hoping you all could help me with!  

We are trying to book our dinner times, but LOVE to see the nightly shows. Do you know what time the nightly stage shows are?  We would love to coordinate dinner times so we do not miss these.  

I have heard that NCL is no longer doing formal "Formal" nights!  Would anyone know which night of the 7 day cruise the Captains dinner is scheduled for?  

Embarkation - NCL just told me that they are not doing set boarding times for this sailing.  I know NYC can get a bit hectic - does anyone know what the earliest time we would start boarding is and/or what time we should arrive?  We would love to get on as soon as possible in order to start enjoying our vacation!!  

Thank you all in advance for your help!

18 hours ago, IHEARTSUP14 said:

Hello Everyone!

We are booked on the Getaway in Mid-April and being a first time NCL cruiser I have a couple questions I am hoping you all could help me with!  

We are trying to book our dinner times, but LOVE to see the nightly shows. Do you know what time the nightly stage shows are?  We would love to coordinate dinner times so we do not miss these.  

I have heard that NCL is no longer doing formal "Formal" nights!  Would anyone know which night of the 7 day cruise the Captains dinner is scheduled for?  

Embarkation - NCL just told me that they are not doing set boarding times for this sailing.  I know NYC can get a bit hectic - does anyone know what the earliest time we would start boarding is and/or what time we should arrive?  We would love to get on as soon as possible in order to start enjoying our vacation!!  

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Showtimes are typically 7:30pm and 10pm on varying nights.  Start looking for the "Freestyle Dailies" here on the boards as the date of your cruise gets closer for more accurate scheduling.  Also, when you make a dinner reservation the system automatically blocks out 90 minutes from the start of your dinner reservation that prevents you from booking anything else that conflicts with your dinner reservation.  But, I've found that it's easier to change a dinner reservation that you already have than it is to get a reservation that may not be available at all.  And while I'm not a big fan of doing it...if you let your server know that you have show reservations for a certain time they'll do their best to move things along for you.  On many occasions they've asked us when we are seated if we have show reservations for that evening.

There is no set formal night on NCL but...tangentially, nobody prevents you from dressing up.  There are a couple of dining venues on board that have a fairly strict dress code (collared shirt and no jeans) so I suggest that you check the specifics of each of the restaurants where you plan to eat so you know what's expected as far as attire.

Your eDocs should have a time listed for you to show up at the pier.  We've cruised out of NYC several times and never been turned away when showing up early.  Be prepared to wait in the "corral" with everyone else before getting on board.  I think the earliest we showed up in NYC was 9:30am and we were on board a little after 11.  But, people that showed up after us waited in line that was a lot longer than our line.

Thank you everyone for this information!  It is such a big help.  

Unfortunately, while reading this I have another question!  We pre-booked and paid for the cirque show, but do we have to pre-book the nightly theater shows?  I am new to NCL and am totally clueless!  Sorry. 

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, IHEARTSUP14 said:

Thank you everyone for this information!  It is such a big help.  

Unfortunately, while reading this I have another question!  We pre-booked and paid for the cirque show, but do we have to pre-book the nightly theater shows?  I am new to NCL and am totally clueless!  Sorry. 

Thanks again!

Yes! You will want to make reservations for your main theater shows ahead of time as well. Some of the smaller venue shows, like comedy shows, you can't book until you are onboard, but those are also better to book sooner than later after boarding, as they fill up quickly.

Show times vary depending on the actual performers you have on board. Early comedy shows are family oriented. Late shows are 18+. 

Comedy shows, Escape Room, Canvas by U can be booked at the Getaway Theater Box Office (Deck 7 Forward, Starboard theater entrance) on embarkation day. You can then go to Headliners (Deck 6 Mid) to adjust your dining as needed. 

Comedy ahows can can also be booked at any touch screen kiosk (usually near elevator lobbies). 

THIS IS NOT YOUR ITINERARY but is representative for the Getaway. 

010CB39D-43C6-4E77-B6E4-E5ADF615FED6.jpeg

FBC64585-F18E-4A7F-8F4B-8A6A2CE55AEC.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels